2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#481945 - 03/05/07 06:17 PM Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello everyone, I'm looking to purchase a Xterra and I have a few questions for you "experts" smile .

I went and test drove an 2002 EX 5sp with 83k on it today. It appears to be in good condition, drives pretty nice. I did have a couple of concerns though. the breaks sometimes sqweak, (the woman owner said she took it to the dealer to have them looked at, but they said it was just break dust), I noticed the steering is kinda sluggish, but maybe this is normal. I noticed that when i shifted at higher RPM's under WOT, the engine kinda makes a high pitched groan for a second when the clutched is pressed in...is that normal?
The last thing that got my attention was some oil or tranny fuild around where the tranny bolts up to the motor.

What else should I look for when inspecting the vehicle? It appears to be in good shape, the owner seemed to take care of it. It also has a warranty thats good for another year.

She's asking $11k for it, but I know thats way too much, would $9k be reasonable?

Thanks in advance for any input.

#481946 - 03/05/07 07:53 PM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Anonymous
Unregistered

First, go to KBB.com and put all the info in and see what the value of it is. Second, 83k on an '02? About average is 12k per year, so it should be sitting round 60k miles on. I would widen your options and look around more. you don't want to buy an Xterra just to have one, you want to buy the Xterra you want.

#481947 - 08/05/07 06:08 AM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Anonymous
Unregistered

$9k sounds about right, but she may not accept it. I think you should make sure you look at at least 10 Gen-1 Xterras to decide what options and packages you like/dislike. Personally, I'd be holding out for one with lower mileage (<50K) for around $11-12K. The extra money will be worth it when you will have it close to paid off by the time you hit 83k.

Good luck and post some picture when you buy! [ThumbsUp]

#481948 - 08/05/07 06:33 AM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
EX? You must have meant XE, yes? First-gen X's came in XE and SE trim levels.

Agree that 83K is a lot for an '02. In only 20K miles you'll be facing the expense of changing the timing belt, are you prepared for that?

I'd also be concerned about the clutch when buying a used vehicle, especially with that mileage. Without knowing how that clutch has been driven, it may not be long before you're in the market for a new one.

Assuming by WOT you meant wide open throttle, I don't really shift under those conditions so I wouldn't know whether that's normal.

What color is it? I have a white '02 and the paint sucks (Nissan doesn't clear-coat white) so I'd buy another color if it's white.

As a previous poster said, look at more vehicles before you buy one.

#481949 - 08/05/07 05:37 PM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by LRM1981:
The last thing that got my attention was some oil or tranny fuild around where the tranny bolts up to the motor.
Sounds like the rear main seal (RMS). Common issue with the Xterra.

Good news is, if you are replacing the clutch it's trivial to replace the RMS too smile

Other common problems with the Xterra - High Pressure AC hose leaks refrigerant (I think/hope that's my problem now). Exhaust manifolds crack and make noise (haven't experienced that one yet).

Hmm.. I know I'm leaving one or two common issues out...

#481950 - 08/05/07 07:28 PM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
83k on a 2002? Mine's only got 102k. Oh, wait...

Aside from that, if it's a 4x2, offer $9k max. If she balks, tell her its a manual and you'd really prefer an auto (even if you don't). 5 speeds usually pull down less than autos.

If it's a 4x4, up your offer to $10k max.

All of the above is predicated on the hope that the warranty:

1. Is transferable (usually a small fee involved), and,

2. Will cover the rear main seal leak.

Other things to check:

1. The level of coolant in the overflow. If it is bone dry, act really worried and drop a few hundred off the price again.

2. Steering box for wetness. If so, find out if the warranty will cover replacement steering box ($1500 to $1800 part, not to mention labor).

Yes, you are only 22k miles out from the timing belt change ($700 or so).

Finally, ask yourself if you're willing to jump into a vehicle that gets 14-17 mpg in town and 16-20 mpg on the highway and that you may be hard pressed to sell when you can't afford $4.50/gallon gas later this year (nobody will want to buy it from you).

Edited to add: Depending on what side of the country your on, I might know someone with a 4x4 auto with 102k miles on it that will give you a swingin' deal...
wink

#481951 - 09/05/07 03:04 PM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the advice. I went ahead and bought it for $9k, and yes, It's a 4X4 XE.

The warranty is transferable which is a good thing. I talked with the dealership and it seems like they'll replace the leaky seal under warranty.

Its a great rig, the V6 is pretty nutless though...but maybe it just seems like that since my last 3 cars were high HP sports cars.

I'm not too worried about gas and repairs since I can write them off as a business expense, but it is nice to know that I have a 100k warranty.

#481952 - 09/05/07 07:21 PM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Xorand Offline

Loc: LA (Lower Alabama)
Good deal for $9k out the door with another 17k miles of warranty. Especially for a 4x4.

#481953 - 10/05/07 04:48 AM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
Welcome A Board!

So - Planning to off road it?

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#481954 - 10/05/07 03:05 PM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks guys

This will be my daily driver and work vehicle. I just bought a hidden hitch for it from etrailor.com, so that'll be my first project smile

I might do some off roading with it, since we got some nice trails around here, and I plan on taking to wife camping this summer...It also looks like this rig has never seen a trail durring its life, so I'll have to break it's cherry laugh

#481955 - 11/05/07 11:39 AM Re: Looking to buy my first Xterra...questions.
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
LOL

laugh

OK, so now just remove the stock step rails, mud flaps and rear sway bar, and enjoy!

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

Moderator:  socalpunx, TJ 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal