2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#101790 - 27/09/01 12:01 PM question
Mouth78 Offline

Loc: Austin
Is it just me or does it seem to others that the 4x4 owners are a little snobby about their Xterras. I mean...aren't they the same damn truck. Don't get me wrong...4x4 would be the prefered way to go for me but right now I just don't have the money. But I should be looked down on b/c I have 2wd. anyway, just makin an observation...I'm new to this whole thing.

#101791 - 27/09/01 12:13 PM Re: question
koalakilla Offline

Loc: Woodlands, TX
True you have a capable offroad truck...but only in ideal conditions. We could get ours lots of places yours couldn't make it.
SWXC Member #74

#101792 - 27/09/01 01:03 PM Re: question
sundevil845 Offline

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
It also depends on where you live. I live in PHX, so a 4wd was not a big deal. If you lived in say Denver or anywhere on the East Coast, it would be a little pointless to have a 2wd, as you might need 4wd for normal driving in the winter. That being said, I have a 2wd and really have not experienced much snobbery, except for the occasional comment not directed at anyone in particular about how 2wd's are worthless. I say don't worry about it, it is your truck and you are the one that has to pay the bank every month. Also, there is a vocal group of hardcore offroaders on this board who don't see the purpose of a 2wd Xterra. But like I said earlier, it is mostly due to geographical location.

Just my $1.10, and you still hav ethe coolest SUV in the country, regardless of 2wd or 4wd.

#101793 - 27/09/01 01:04 PM Re: question
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
we have beaten the debate to death...

with that i will now state what i believe is the consensus of the 2wd owners... at the very least this is my opinion.

Quote:
"koalakilla" declared:True you have a capable offroad truck...but only in ideal conditions. We could get ours lots of places yours couldn't make it.

not 100% true...

The 2wd Xterra is an amazing truck, it will go places that most 2wd's will not... It will WITH AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER go Places a 4wd WITH A NOVICE DRIVER will not...

at the very least it is far more capable then the '90 2wd toyota pickup I had. and has on occasion gone places that the average 4wd owner is afraid to take their truck. 2wd X's have driven past stuck 4wd Jeep cherokee's, gone further than 4wd Land rovers... and driven the same trails as custom built off-road machines... but there is more to every story and experience of the drivers involved is a lot of it.

Yes a 4wd is better than a 2wd... as long as all other things are equal... driver, mods, etc.

Be proud to own an Xterra... 4wd or 2wd the X is an amazing vehicle

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#101794 - 27/09/01 02:01 PM Re: question
MEX-TERRA Offline

Loc: Saltillo, Coah. Mexico
Quote:
The 2wd Xterra is an amazing truck, it will go places that most 2wd's will not... It will WITH AN EXPERIENCED DRIVER go Places a 4wd WITH A NOVICE DRIVER will not...

Todrick, you are totally right, my X has gotten on places that other trucks have not been able to, :p PROVEN!!!!!

#101795 - 27/09/01 02:10 PM Re: question
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by MEX-TERRA:

Todrick, you are totally right, my X has gotten on places that other trucks have not been able to, :p PROVEN!!!!!

same place... different angles...

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=270535&a=12845635&p=48045781&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

NOTE: both trucks made this... but this is one of those "hard to believe a 2wd can do that" sections...

#101796 - 27/09/01 06:20 PM Re: question
Mouth78 Offline

Loc: Austin
awesome! those are some pretty sweet pics. i know that i have a badass truck...i was mainly just postin to see what people would say...although i did pick up a little snoobery but then again if i had a 4wd i probably wouldn't be much different. smile anyway, thanks for the post guys. later

[ 09-27-2001: Message edited by: Mouth78 ]

#101797 - 28/09/01 05:35 AM Re: question
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Thanks Todrick, I can't wait until West X so I can do Odessa Canyon again. I think at first a lot of 4WD owners put down the 2WD because there wasn't anyone who had taken it offroad before. Now that there is a couple of extreme 2WD'ers I think more people relieze that the 2WD are OK. I sadi ok but not great. My X sure wishes she has a transfer case and front dif.

#101798 - 28/09/01 10:19 AM Re: question
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Jackel8821:
Thanks Todrick, I can't wait until West X so I can do Odessa Canyon again. I think at first a lot of 4WD owners put down the 2WD because there wasn't anyone who had taken it offroad before. Now that there is a couple of extreme 2WD'ers I think more people relieze that the 2WD are OK. I sadi ok but not great. My X sure wishes she has a transfer case and front dif.

so you are bringing your truck?
craig said you were riding with him... im confused...

I hope you do bring it, i want to see a 2wd run odessa and i honestly dont have the testicular fortitude(read BALLS) to do it in mine...

i do think your right... people just asume the 2wd cant do it because they have never seen it do it, it aint a 4x4 but it sure as hell is more than most people give it credit for

there are quite a few trucks coming to calico now, i think we may see some 4x4 action on odessa...

there are some other trails(slightly mellower than odessa) in the area but details as to exact location is sketchy at best...

[ 09-28-2001: Message edited by: Todrick ]

#101799 - 28/09/01 12:35 PM Re: question
Jackel Offline

Loc: Glendale, AZ, USA
Lisa has the X in San Fran and I am going to ride up with everyone that is going down here. And she is going to drive down.

#101800 - 28/09/01 11:02 PM Re: question
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
I hope you do bring it, i want to see a 2wd run odessa and i honestly dont have the testicular fortitude(read BALLS) to do it in mine...

Please post pictures. He will never make it all the way through.

#101801 - 29/09/01 09:23 AM Re: question
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Please post pictures. He will never make it all the way through.
For those of you wondering what Odessa Canyon is like, here is a link with some pictures.

Odessa Canyon Run by Soutern California Dirt Devils

Photo Book 2, some great shots

[ 09-29-2001: Message edited by: Craigs_Tonka ]

#101802 - 29/09/01 07:03 PM Re: question
Todrick Offline

i am honestly still trying to understand a couple of those shots...

dont get me wrong

Odessa is tough
odessa is one bad-ass trail to be quite frank.

but i just cant understand the pics of the jeep vertical(with the ropes attached)...

I have walked the whole canyon, I couldn't drive it, but if jackel can run Crown King, and one specific obstacle of Box Canyon, then there should be no problem with Odessa... its basicly Box Canyon over and over again

#101803 - 29/09/01 07:45 PM Re: question
Craigs_Tonka Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
I have walked the whole canyon, I couldn't drive it, but if jackel can run Crown King, and one specific obstacle of Box Canyon, then there should be no problem with Odessa... its basicly Box Canyon over and over again
How long of a walk is it? I wouldn't mind checking it out with you and Jackel. wink

#101804 - 30/09/01 02:03 PM Re: question
Todrick Offline

i figure we could walk it saturday morning... it is a couple miles, but not a big deal...

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal