2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102013 - 21/02/02 11:11 AM Whew
nolarocks Offline

Loc: New Orleans
Hey fellow 2WD enthusiasts! Glad to see other Xterra owners with similar interests/opinions. I was starting to think, in my short time here, that it was a sin to own a 2WD. Heck, I would have bought a 4WD if I wanted one. This list didn't influence my purchase. I knew what I wanted and I got what I wanted! laugh

Different strokes, right?

Let's keep the 2WD section kicking!! :p

And yes, I like the sound of high speed trail riding much more than creeping over rocky trails. Don't get me wrong, I plan to do as much of that as I can....it's just not the only thing to do with your X!

We can't forget about the "Grocery Runner" either. I'm sure it makes up a huge number of X owners!! I can see the awesome look of the X, alone, influencing their decision. :p

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step" - The C man

I also have some waterfront property for sale on the lakefront in Louisiana!! (NOLA) Just kidding

#102014 - 21/02/02 11:19 AM Re: Whew
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
(crickets chirping)

#102015 - 21/02/02 11:24 AM Re: Whew
nolarocks Offline

ouch [Smoking]

I also have some waterfront property for sale on the lakefront in Louisiana!! (NOLA) Just kidding

#102016 - 21/02/02 01:48 PM Re: Whew
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
I've had my X for about a year and a half now, and despite reading and hearing many 4wd's say that a 2wd is merely a station wagon, I have been suprised at what I've gotten through at times with just stock mods. I know that I can't go ALOT of places that a 4wd can and I acknowledge and respect that fact, but that's not stopping me from trying to see how far I can go. Somebody's gotta do it, heh. I'm sure I'm going to frusterate alot of people once I start getting out and going to some events cause I know I'm going to get stuck, probably alot at first, but it's all in learning, and in fun.
So I guess I say this just to encourage 2wd's to just get out and try stuff, you'll never know what you can do, till you attempt it. Now of course, it's not the best idea to go out by yourself (trust me), cause it's just a big pain to call someone and then they have to find you and get you out. But just have your own tow strap ready and move on... anyways, just know your limits
ok, I think I should shut up now laugh

#102017 - 21/02/02 04:42 PM Re: Whew
red5five Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I've had my 2x 5spd for almost 3 years and I finally took it on something more difficult than fire roads this past weekend with SCCXTERRA.

We took 11 X's and a Frontier to Anza Barrego and did the grapevine trail (4-2x's in the group).
We all had fun and were able to cover similar terrain including a section were we were told by the ranger that some 4x's turned around the day before.
At one point I had 2 wheels off the ground (different axles), later on we were tilted over to almost 40 degrees. No problems with the 2 wheel drive.

Consider joining a club, these guys were great and my wife and I had a lot of fun (Thanks Brian, Blue Leader, and Logan!!!).

#102018 - 21/02/02 05:50 PM Re: Whew
Alpha Wolf Offline

Loc: Columbia, SC
Chris,

Don't let them rag you too much. A few years ago, I was at a 4X4 photo shoot in GA and heard Jack Bickers speak. What he said actually surprised me seeing how he is considered a 4X4 legend and all. He said most 4X4 owners become lazy in their driving skills and rely on their 4X4 more than they should. He did say that rock crawling was out and 4+ trails were out for 4X2's, but if you did the same mod's on a 4X2 as a 4X4, a skilled driver could take most 3+ and alot of 4 trails. Of course everyone laughed. When said he knew he could, no one laughed at that. That is the reason I bought a 4X2 Xterra. You do have to try harder and put more work into it, but in the end, it does pay off. From the way the 4X4 owner's talk around here, you would think they never get stuck. Just so happens I have unstuck several 4X4's myself while wheelin in my 4X2. Did they care then? No, they just wanted to get back to wheelin'. Which is what this is supposed to be about anyway is having fun and all. See ya on the trails.

#102019 - 21/02/02 05:57 PM Re: Whew
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by PoorBoy:
...at times with just stock mods.
Wouldn't that be an oxymoron?

#102020 - 21/02/02 06:21 PM Re: Whew
PoorBoy Offline

Loc: Nacogdoches, TX
oh yeah, sorry about that. didn't catch that when I was reading over it... but you get the idea

With a stock Xterra

#102021 - 21/02/02 06:30 PM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
it does me proud to finaly see more that two or three of us who know better smile

thanks guys...

its about having a good time, and its really great after two years of getting crap from the 4wd crowd that some more 2wds have figured it out

#102022 - 21/02/02 07:16 PM Re: Whew
nolarocks Offline

Hey red5five,

Red 5 is my license plate!! Nice!! laugh

#102023 - 21/02/02 07:24 PM Re: Whew
Metalikat3003 Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
I know what a 2 WD can do, ive put mine through hell. There fun with half the Maintinence of a 4 WD.

#102024 - 21/02/02 08:00 PM Re: Whew
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
it does me proud to finaly see more that two or three of us who know better smile
I'll say it again.

Come to GOX, come to goneMOAB, and see for yourself. You will be bummed.

#102025 - 21/02/02 08:18 PM Re: Whew
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Quote:
[b]it does me proud to finaly see more that two or three of us who know better smile
I'll say it again.

Come to GOX, come to goneMOAB, and see for yourself. You will be bummed.[/b]
Hell, go anyplace with mountains and rain and you'll be bummed. It's just a matter of responsibility that we don't allow 4x2's out on the trail with us. Who wants to burn out their clutch towing your ass all over the mountains?

#102026 - 21/02/02 08:39 PM Re: Whew
nolarocks Offline

Ughh.....why do you guys wanna be so, "mine is better than yours". Weird.

Environment really factored into my decision for buying a 2WD. It suits me. But thanks for trying to make me regret my purchase.

When I go offroading, I'll be on my dirt bike! Suckers! [Finger]

#102027 - 21/02/02 09:02 PM Re: Whew
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by nolarocks:

Environment really factored into my decision for buying a 2WD. It suits me. But thanks for trying to make me regret my purchase.

When I go offroading, I'll be on my dirt bike! Suckers! [Finger]
It's not mine is better than yours. If someone says 1+1=3 do you just let it go so they don't feel bad? I think I'm pretty fast in my GT Subaru, but I'm realistic enough to know I'm not going to blow anyone away on a race track. I don't go to WRX forums and say I can go as fast as those subaru owners, and then cry because they won't aknowledge my slower Subaru. Mechanically it's not as good. I have fun it in it, and enjoy my choice, but it's not turbocharged. Get it?

#102028 - 21/02/02 09:18 PM Re: Whew
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Ughh.....why do you guys wanna be so, "mine is better than yours".
We don't, it's usually Todrick who starts the topic up again.

Someday, he will finally end up somewhere where I am, and I will show him that everything he believes about a 2WD is false.

I'm looking forward to that day so these pointless posts about 2WDs can finally end.

#102029 - 21/02/02 09:29 PM Re: Whew
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Quote:
It's not about better or worse. It about the tow hook. It's a philosophical question: To pull or be pulled; that is the question.

#102030 - 21/02/02 11:37 PM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]it does me proud to finaly see more that two or three of us who know better smile
I'll say it again.

Come to GOX, come to goneMOAB, and see for yourself. You will be bummed.[/b]
yeah if i have it my way i'll have a pre-runner... wont do much good in colorado...

like i said before... if my trucks done, come to WEST X... you'll be bummed

#102031 - 21/02/02 11:40 PM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]Ughh.....why do you guys wanna be so, "mine is better than yours".
We don't, it's usually Todrick who starts the topic up again.

Someday, he will finally end up somewhere where I am, and I will show him that everything he believes about a 2WD is false.

I'm looking forward to that day so these pointless posts about 2WDs can finally end.[/b]
hello... i said i was happy other 4x2 owners liked there trucks... and that i constantly get slammed... i even made point you missed... ITS ABOUT HAVING A GOOD TIME... not about having a 4x4 or not.

Someday, the major parts of my truck will be done(like youve done the major mods on yours) and you will finally end up somewhere where I am, and I will show you that everything you believe about a 2WD is false.

I'm looking forward to that day so the pointless bashing of 2WDs can finally end.

#102032 - 22/02/02 01:30 AM Re: Whew
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
like i said before... if my trucks done, come to WEST X... you'll be bummed
Bummed that I can drive the trails that your 2WD can't ?
Bummed that I can follow you across a dry lake bed in a straight line ?
Bummed that I can drive at the same speed on any terrain as you but with much more control ?
Bummed that I don't have to get winched or strapped over easy trails ?

#102033 - 22/02/02 01:32 AM Re: Whew
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
wont do much good in colorado...
Isn't California covered with mountains too ?

#102034 - 22/02/02 01:33 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]like i said before... if my trucks done, come to WEST X... you'll be bummed
Bummed that I can drive the trails that your 2WD can't ?
Bummed that I can follow you across a dry lake bed in a straight line ?
Bummed that I can drive at the same speed on any terrain as you but with much more control ?
Bummed that I don't have to get winched or strapped over easy trails ?[/b]
bummed that you hit a jump at 50mph and the landing was so harsh you broke major steering/suspension components?

bummed that the washboards beat the hell out of your kidneys?

yeah maybe

like i said in another thread(being this debate is currently in 4 threads) read the "Liberty getting air" thread... i think i summed it up best... i have to assume you just dont understand what im saying, because i can not comprehend why you say the things you do... i also assume that you feel the same about me...

seriously at this point i almost find it funny, and wonder just how long it will take until we understand each other... i bet it would all be resolved i a minute or two if we could kick back and have a beer and actually talk about it instead of posting on here

#102035 - 22/02/02 01:46 AM Re: Whew
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Quote:
[b]wont do much good in colorado...
Isn't California covered with mountains too ?[/b]
sort of... the best mountain around here is big bear(where the current picture of snoopy on the front page was taken)... but honestly i've said it before 5mph over rocks is not as appealing to me as 50mph over a desert trail... im just a type T personality like that laugh

at this point i hope to make GOX it all depends on whether or not the Harley 100th anniversary tour stop in L.A. sells out before i get tickets...

but if im there and my truck has the major mods done... i wont be hitting any trails as my truck will just not be suited for that kind of driving...

but if the mods are done by september for GOX then they will still be done a in Late October for WEST X... and you are more than welcome to come out and find out why i want my truck set up that way... it is not for 3+ rated trails thats for sure

#102036 - 22/02/02 02:39 AM Re: Whew
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
bummed that you hit a jump at 50mph and the landing was so harsh you broke major steering/suspension components?
And your stock Xterra is somehow stronger than mine ?

I think Nissan puts the same components on all of the Xterras that come out of Smyrna.

You've lost me again... [Freak]

#102037 - 22/02/02 06:00 AM Re: Whew
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
me thinks Todrick is smoking a little too much of the wacky tabacky rolled in issues of OFF-ROAD magazine.

When you design a long travel front end, let us know. When you install whatever SLR has going, let us know. But when it's "One day, my prince will come...." you are still less capable than a 4x4. I drove dirt roads at 85-90mph up in Labrador, kicking up dust, riding rally style with another Xterra. His was 4x4 too. we cruised over washboards that would make your fillings fall out, then hit sharp corners, only to jump a set of railroad tracks, the cut back the other way over MAJOR washboards, and we were in control the whole time. -- at least I was with my Bilsteins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal