Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103032 - 07/10/06 07:26 PM Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ok so I'm starting to sound like a broken record... this is my 3rd post and this makes the 3rd time I've written this: "Just bought my first Xterra a couple weeks ago... a 2002 Base Model, 2wd, 4cyl, 5 speed..."

I bought it primarily for the "Utility" part of the SUV equation. It makes a great family vehicle with plenty of storage space! However... I'd like to make it my own... ya know... the usual wheels/tires and a nice stereo, maybe some minor custom paint work. Nothing drastic.

Here comes the question though. I know this is going to be a bit sacreligious at this site (I've noticed its geared more toward the hardcore 4x4'ers) but I'd like to lower my X a little. Once again... nothing drastic like the bagged and body dropped X on the cover of the Dec. Mini Truckin' but bring it down a little... maybe an inch and a half or two inches all the way around. I haven't been able to find any lowering kits though... any help would be appreciated. Also, any known interferenc issues with lowered X's on 20's cause thats what I'd like to do... laugh

Thanks in advance~!
--Kevin

#103033 - 07/10/06 07:38 PM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

linky to make it drop

I think these are 20s..

#103034 - 08/10/06 09:36 AM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

no interferene issues but you do know that it will be the slowest thing on the road, and drive like absolute shit with that setup

#103035 - 08/10/06 07:27 PM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gprsh924:
no interferene issues but you do know that it will be the slowest thing on the road, and drive like absolute shit with that setup
which would be different from a stock xterra how?

anyways, cheap plug but www.nissancustoms.com is more of a lowered nissan forum no matter what the model. mostly hardbodys but we got a few pathys, an xterra or two, etc. we can give you the full story on a torsion drop, block install, and other stuff that these 4x4 guys think is crazy.

#103036 - 09/10/06 03:34 AM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Yeah I know its gonna be slow... but then again it already is, but what do you mean that it'll "drive like absolute shit with that setup"? I don't want to do ANYTHING thats going to compromise ride quality or safety (as I said it's my family vehicle, and I'm not going to put my kids in anything that I don't think is safe). I will of course upgrade the brakes if I decide to go with 20's. But if those wheels in the picture above are 20's maybe 18's would be better! They look a little bit bigger than I want to go with.

Thanks for the replies though!

--Kevin

#103037 - 09/10/06 05:30 AM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

the only way your gonna be able to fit 20s is to then run really low profile tires, which will in turn lessen the shock absorbing and make the ride much rougher. More than likely, the rolling mass will be greatly increased, decreasing acceleration and increasing braking distances

that and i just dont think X's look good lowered, there are other suv's that look great that way (X5)

#103038 - 10/10/06 10:33 PM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Pothole:
... but I'd like to lower my X a little. Once again... nothing drastic like the bagged and body dropped X on the cover of the Dec. Mini Truckin' but bring it down a little... maybe an inch and a half or two inches all the way around...
Take off the roof rack.

#103039 - 11/10/06 02:44 AM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by gprsh924:
the only way your gonna be able to fit 20s is to then run really low profile tires, which will in turn lessen the shock absorbing and make the ride much rougher. More than likely, the rolling mass will be greatly increased, decreasing acceleration and increasing braking distances
Very good point! Like I said I intend to upgrade the brakes if I go with 20's. But I'm leaning more toward 18's now. My X came from the factory with 265/70/15 tires. If I go with 18's I can run 255/60/18's and the speedo will only be 1.5% slow. That should make for a decent ride and handling. Opinions?

--Kevin

#103040 - 11/10/06 02:48 AM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Then again... I've been looking around on ebay and found some 17" stock Xterra wheels. They look pretty darn good. Maybe I'll go with them...... confused

So many decisions... LOL

--Kevin

#103041 - 12/10/06 07:57 PM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I say do what you want broham we need more people like you on here to balance us fourwheelers out! [ThumbsUp]

gprsh924...dude leave this guy alone you say that putting 20's on his truck would slow him down and make his ride shitty? why arent you over in the 4x4 section bagging on all the guys with sas's or lift kits???? stay positive my brutha we all drive slow P.O.S's [LOL]
good times [drink]

#103042 - 23/10/06 03:35 PM Re: Its a 4cyl, 2WD... what else would I do???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think the Xterra drives really good... I owned a 1999 Chevy Z71 and I drive my girl friend's Pontiac Grand AM and between the Z71, Grand AM, and Xterra, The Xterra is the best driving vehicle of the three. Naturaly it's not going to handle like a small two door rice burner, but as far as large vehicles I think this is the best I've ever driven.

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal