Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102541 - 09/04/08 09:19 AM Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi, all - I'm a noob with a 2002 4x2 XE v6.

I know that this subject is probably a little bit exhausted, but I keep reading somewhat contradicting opinions about this subject.

This is the first RWD I've ever owned, and I haven't driven it in the snow yet. Here in southern Ohio, we get some pretty wet and sometimes icy snows in the winter.

Some have said that the 4x2's are worthless in snow... others said that if you put a little weight in the back it will haul a**.

So what's a chick to think? I'm pretty nervous... and it's not even summer yet, let alone winter!

...if anyone has any tips about driving it in the snow, let me know that, too! laugh

#102542 - 09/04/08 09:40 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

all terrain tires (pref. BFG A/T's), and chains as far as just driving around. i think one of the last things you wanna be doing in the snow with 2wd is hauling ass, unless you're in a big ass open area where you can't slide into anything.

#102543 - 09/04/08 09:51 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Someone recently pointed me to the Bridgestone Blizzak for winter driving in the Xterra... I take it you're suggesting an A/T over a winter tire altogether, or just the BFG A/T's specifically?

Thanks for the response!

#102544 - 09/04/08 12:24 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Living south of me you would be pretty hard to justify dedicated snow tires in Ohio. The northern third, like Mansfield to Toledo and over to Cleveland yes, but not southern. We get more ice than real snow, and the only thing that really works is chains or pins. With the last blizzard I only used 4wd twice, and that was to help out some stuck people. The weight distribution front to back is pretty good so you do not have to throw a bunch of weight in the back. Just get some good ATs and take it easy.

#102545 - 10/04/08 05:40 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

i'm sure any A/T tire will do good. if you ask around, i think most people will go with the BFG. thats what i have and i've driven in the snow without chains quite a few times and they hold up pretty good. and they're a great all around tire for everything else

#102546 - 12/04/08 08:17 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

You're obviously a cool chick to have bought an Xterra, so I'll just say man up on it and give it hell! Just own up on the snow a bit and you'll do great! [Smoking]

#102547 - 13/04/08 02:46 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

yea own up the snow?? ha I live in ohio also...north west, theres no way to "own" the snow here

#102548 - 14/04/08 09:53 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for all the responses, guys, you've been a HUGE help.

BFG's it is... now, I just have to gather the nerve to drop the $1K... I'm sure I won't regret it, though!

THANKS!

#102549 - 14/04/08 09:58 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tirerack.com rates General Grabber AT2 better in snow than BFG ATKO. Don't have personal experiance with them though. Have BFG and they do OK. Chains a must thought over a foot.

#102550 - 15/04/08 07:37 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

You need to shop around. My local dealer quoted a price of $700 for a set of 4.

#102551 - 15/04/08 09:08 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Knight in Armor:
Tirerack.com rates General Grabber AT2 better in snow than BFG ATKO. Don't have personal experiance with them though. Have BFG and they do OK. Chains a must thought over a foot.
i have the general grabbers and i can say they are a great tire and awesome in the snow. I have never used the bfg's but for the price of the generals i dont think you can beat them

#102552 - 16/04/08 06:12 PM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Like all other's have said, get some quality All Terrains, and also put a couple bags of sand in the back. An extra 120 pounds in the back made a huge difference in my X, as well as on my friend's Pathfinder, whose tires are practically bald.

#102553 - 17/04/08 12:03 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by xbird:
Thanks for all the responses, guys, you've been a HUGE help.

BFG's it is... now, I just have to gather the nerve to drop the $1K... I'm sure I won't regret it, though!

THANKS!
Look into getting Firestone destination a/t's cheaper, but just as good tire.

#102554 - 19/04/08 08:58 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
GrnXnham Offline

Loc: Tacoma, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by yankyfan100:
Quote:
Originally posted by Knight in Armor:
[b]Tirerack.com rates General Grabber AT2 better in snow than BFG ATKO. Don't have personal experiance with them though. Have BFG and they do OK. Chains a must thought over a foot.
i have the general grabbers and i can say they are a great tire and awesome in the snow. I have never used the bfg's but for the price of the generals i dont think you can beat them[/b]
We also have the General Grabber AT2 on our Xterra and we agree that they are good in the snow.

#102555 - 20/04/08 09:05 AM Re: Ohio snow in a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well I live in NC so I dont have too much snow driving experience, but I was curious as well. I have a 2WD X too. I got BFG AT KOs last fall and I took a trip up to WV to snowboard and had a little snow on the roads. Unfortunately its not really the snow you are talking about, it was -5 degrees out and it was about an inch or two of packed, extremely dry/squeaky snow. I havent driven much in snow but they seemed to do really well in a straight line, never slipping while accelerating or braking, but when turning they were a little more squirrely. The X did well overall though

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal