2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 124 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102898 - 22/02/02 11:15 AM 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
ok a couple statements... hell maybe even a Diatribe, but its long over due:

to the 4x4 owners who have an issue with me(you know who you are

im realy tired of all this

i own an xterra

i love my xterra

it is my xterra

what i want to do with my truck is none of your business, if you dont like it, too bad... i will be happy and thats what matters.

i assume you all are happy with what you do with your truck, thats great more power to you, its good to se your doing something in the 4x4s besides driving junior to soccer practice.

I have no problem with people owning 4x4's i do have a problem with people having a problem with me because they think i made a bad choice... maybe so but its my choice to make... there is absolutely no reason to attack me for my decisions/opinions...

and no i am not starting another debate on this subject... and could care less if you respond to this...

we should all just be happy we own xterras and have fun.

I know i will

#102899 - 22/02/02 11:25 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Outstanding! It's great that you cleared this up. Now we can follow this discussion in Five different threads ! ARGUGHHGHGHGUUH!!!!!

#102900 - 22/02/02 11:26 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
Dude...remember, I'm on your side....but

WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING THIS UP!!

And setting yourself up as a target for abuse?

Just asking the question.....

#102901 - 22/02/02 11:27 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

i know your on my side... e-mail me i'll explain... like i said im just a bit tired of it

#102902 - 22/02/02 11:34 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
superjens Offline

Loc: North Vancouver
You shouldn't even care what other people say, why are you letting it get to you? I completely agree that it's your 4x2 and you can do whatever you want and if you turn it into a wicked-ass sahara desert runner then that's awesome. So somebody thinks it's useless, who cares? Fuck 'em.

#102903 - 22/02/02 11:40 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
i know your on my side... e-mail me i'll explain... like i said im just a bit tired of it
Then drop it.

You always bring it up. Anytime 4 wheeling is mentioned, you have to sneak in something about a 2WD.

I have no problem with you owning a 2WD Xterra, that's your mistake, not mine. I do have a problem with you trying to convince people on XOC that a 2WD Xterra is a capable SUV off-road.

A 2WD is not capable. A front wheel drive car has better traction than a rear wheel drive SUV or truck. The only thing you have in your favor is ground clearance, and a Subaru or Volvo wagon have the same (except they have AWD).

#102904 - 22/02/02 11:40 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by superjens:
You shouldn't even care what other people say, why are you letting it get to you? I completely agree that it's your 4x2 and you can do whatever you want and if you turn it into a wicked-ass sahara desert runner then that's awesome. So somebody thinks it's useless, who cares? Fuck 'em.
just e-mail me... id be happy to explain... but if i respond here... i know its gonna blow up again

#102905 - 22/02/02 11:49 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Quote:
[QUOTE]but if i respond here... i know its gonna blow up again
Too late...

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#102906 - 22/02/02 11:50 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by MyGoldX:

WHY DO YOU KEEP BRINGING THIS UP!!

Because until just recently, he was on a mission to convince the rest of XOC that his 4x2 could go anywhere a 4x4 could. It's not that he made a bad choice at all, it's the fact that a 4x2 is not as capable as a 4x4. Todrick took that as bias, not fact. But it seems we're all in agreement - more or less now.

#102907 - 22/02/02 11:51 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Man you're as bad as Brent with the whole MAXC thing. If you would just let it drop, nobody would even talk about it.

Get over it already.

#102908 - 22/02/02 11:57 AM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
coferj Offline

Loc: Montgomery, AL
anyone have any pics of an X desert runner? I've searched but couldn't find anything.

#102909 - 22/02/02 12:13 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
LAXterra Offline

Loc: West Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
Now we can follow this discussion in [b]Five different threads ! ARGUGHHGHGHGUUH!!!!![/b]
[Wave]

Well actually... this would make the Eighth thread (in the recent past) that will probably turn into a train wreck.

At least hopefuly it will be contained to this one thread. which will probably move to "The Asbestos Lined Room" shortly.

For reference the other Seven... train wrecks can be found below.

2WD IN SNOW

Stuck!!!

2WD or 4WD ?

Super Xterra

Why did you choose to buy an Xterra?

Liberty getting air

Whew

Arthur Schopenhauer, Philosopher, 1788-1860

#102910 - 22/02/02 12:15 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Ian does this board have a "merge" option for threads?

#102911 - 22/02/02 12:24 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
Ian does this board have a "merge" option for threads?
No... frown

#102912 - 22/02/02 12:30 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
MyGoldX Offline

Loc: Santa Rosa, Ca
Why not just lock them all??

#102913 - 22/02/02 12:32 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by coferj:
anyone have any pics of an X desert runner? I've searched but couldn't find anything.
I have no interest in throwing my hat into a debate that has no point and can achieve no real resolution. A point though is that this debate was resurected this time out in the 2WD forum. Interjected into a discussion of the capability of 2wd X's there were the usaul snide critisisms about 2wd trucks from 4x4 X owners. So yes , in this case it was a case of going out of your way to put the 2wd owners in their place.

I've never seen a picture of an X climbing a hard core rock wall either. Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean it can't be done. Right? You guys that mod your trucks are waiting for the day you can do those things in your trucks.

Same with some us 2wd owners. SUVs have been turned into desert trucks. Broncos , 4runners even an Expedition have all run the Baja 500-1000 races. A Hummer has won the production class for the past four or five years. But racing isn't even the dream. Just to be able to tear around the open desert without having to worry about a pile of rocks hidden behind sand as you hop over a three foot wide ravine would be nice . Doing it without breaking anything would be better.

It is interesting that you guys say you rock crawl. Yet when I look at magazines , and pictures of hard core rock crawling that were posted on this site in another forum it doesn't look anything like what I've seen here. Why not ? Probably because it would take an amazing amount of money and fabrication to the point that it wouldn't be an X anymore.

None of you have "rock crawlers". Your 4x4's wouldn't really stand against more capable trucks in a mud bogging competition , a tough truck competition or any other test of strength against more capable trucks. Read all the magazines and dream all you want. Dillusions of grandeur aside you are a fry cry from being in that class.

Noone has said in any of these threads that a 4x2 could do what a 4x4 could or was more capable or even just as capable as a 4x4 off-road. They merely said that they were capable. The idea is suggested that the X would make a nice platform for a fun desert truck.

Noone here has a real hard core Baja vehicle. Just because Nissan don't promote it as that and it hasn't been done does that mean that it's not possible. Driving a truck fast in the desert sounds like fun to some people , including myself.
Does that mean that I have dillusions of being the Nissan Xterra version of Ivan Stewart ? No , it just means that I and others like me would like to explore the possibility of making the X capable of doing what I would like to do and have a lot of fun doing it.

Just because it hasn't been done doesn't mean that with time and money it can't be done. So it's not your cup of tea. So what. Those of us with 2wd trucks that do off-road them would like something to aspire to . Just like you guys that look at those crawlers and boggers and aspire to do that in your trucks , some of us someday hope to fly over a whoop section at 70MPH.

#102914 - 22/02/02 01:11 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

thank you, after two years, i just get too worked up to form a thought that coherant

#102915 - 22/02/02 01:27 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
thank you, after two years, i just get too worked up to form a thought that coherant
I don't think you've ever had a thought that coherent.

#102916 - 22/02/02 01:31 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
an1malch1n Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
Just throwing out a suggestion to you "Desert Racers".

Instead of saving up for some bolt on lift kit or max travel kit, why not go for the Ford TTB? It is probably the best bang for the buck. The Nissan steering is a total pile.

It would be similar to the 4x4 guys doing a SAS, but cheaper. No gears, lockers, custom driveshafts, etc. There are a couple of Nissan truck owners that have done this and have had some pretty good success with it.

The reason I say this is I regret ever putting one damn dime into trying to lift an IFS system. Worthless. I should have just kept saving my pennies. I'm not baggin' on the lift itself, it does it's job, just the entire system is what I'm fed up with. So with that said, I think you would be better in the long run with the TTB or really a true custom setup that guts your entire front end and starts all over.

Even if you don't have high asperations of being all that serious, who knows, you might? And in the long run, it just might save you money and time replacing parts.

Just thought I would throw that out to you.

#102917 - 22/02/02 01:31 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

eek [Finger] laugh

#102918 - 22/02/02 01:41 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Quote:
eek [Finger] laugh
]

It isn't immediately obvious who that was intended for because you didn't quote anyone's post. It was directed towards me I asume ?
[Wave]

#102919 - 22/02/02 01:47 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
Todrick Offline

yes socalpunx it was aimed at you... but i was asked not to quote if the message was directly above mine(like yours was when i hit "reply") oh well i guess he beat me to the punch

#102920 - 22/02/02 02:53 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
It is interesting that you guys say you rock crawl.
I've never said that, and anyone whole claims to is [Freak] or [Too much XOC]

#102921 - 22/02/02 03:16 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
socalpunx Offline

Heavy Off-road(rock crawling/mud) 3% (13)

Poll results thus far. 13 members of XOC bought their trucks for "heavy rock crawling and mud". In your opinion , Ian did they buy the wrong truck?

From the Arizona Xterra Club forum
1/29/02
Topic: Lower Ajax
Origionally Posted by Scobyb:

"I may be interested as well, where is Florence Junction? You say there is a 2wd trail that crosses? Mine is not a rock crawler yet, but I would like to watch others right now. I am new to the state so where is Florence Junction?
Thanks,"

Now , by using the word "yet" in this statement it would lead a reasonable person to believe that he thinks his X is capable of becoming a "rock crawler" and that his X , with the right tires is eventually going to become one.

( I only am using this quote to provide an example of an X owner that sees his truck as having the potential to be a rock crawler. I'm not saying whether it can or can't be a crawler only demonstrating that people here see it as having the potential. I don't know Scoobyb and this is not a judgement of him or his aspirations for his X at all whatsoever . )

I would doubt that Scobyb is alone in his ambitions for the X to be a rock crawler. But it is nice to have a dream , isn't it? Even if it is a potentially expensive and far fetched one.

The only point that I am trying to make is that the X is different things to different people . We all have our own individual ideas of what we want our X to be. There is nothing wrong with that and it should be encouraged rather than discouraged in the interest of sharing knowledge and ideas about the X.

#102922 - 22/02/02 04:14 PM Re: 4x4 vs. 4x2 Debate (a statement)
LOGAN Offline

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Being a 2WD and 4WD owner I can say this:

Yes I like rock crawling (what else are you going to call it) and can try and see how far I can get in a 2WD (w/o damage) or just take the truck out of 4WD and try it

Yes I like going fast on a dry lake and catching some air sometimes (of which 4WD does no better than 2WD)

Yes I can go more places in my 4WD than I can my 2WD

Yes I can go places in my 2WD that I am/was not supposed to be able to.

Yes I like off-roading with 2WD and 4WD vehicles and no I do not have to be "EXTREME" all the time.

Yes I do like the challenge of driving on the Freeway from California to Florida, solo, in under 40 hours.

Yes it's nice to have learned how to 4 wheel in a 2WD

So.....what's the problem? Xterra's are Xterra's. It seems kinda ridiculess for us to be doing all this bickering about 2WD vs 4Wd and then at the same time planning 2WD capable trail runs vs 4WD only trail runs vs all vehicle trail runs......

We all drive Xterra's (or in my case a Frontier as well)....LET IT JUST BE.

I thought about getting another Xterra (before I got the Frontier), a 4WD one....And then thought it's stupid for me to have two vehicles in the first place....it's REALLY stupid for me to have two Xterra's (1 2WD and 1 4WD)....So I compromised and plan to be just stupid and have an X again......But it will be 4WD this time.

Why?

My original reason for having/wanting a 4Wd in the first place....To be able to go where I want....when I want....And if I can't.....then I don't need to be there in the first place!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal