Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#102397 - 11/12/02 03:50 PM 4 x 2 Mods???
TrialsX Offline

Loc: Florida
First, let me say this. I am NOT intending this as a flame at all. I just read through the lists of 2WD mods some of you are looking at. Long travel suspension, Bilstiens, and Lockers caught my eye.

Yes, I have a 4x4 and do my share of wheeling. My question is simply this. (again, I am NOT picking on anyone!) Why didn't you guys get a 4x4 X to start with? I had the question after reading, so I decided to ask the 2WD'ers themselves. No harm meant. Infact, for the record, I've got a huge crush on a chick I met last week that drives a 2WD X. (yes, with an XOC sticker on it!)
[Wave]

#102398 - 11/12/02 03:56 PM Re: 4 x 2 Mods???
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Why do you care? You bought what you wanted and other people bought what they wanted.

I also found this . It pretty much answers your question.

I'm a 2wd X owner. I was driving an Altima that was coming up to the 80,000 mile mark and started looking for another vehicle. Was really getting sick and tired of being yet just another person in a 4 door sedan out in the world. I also have two kids and wanted something a little bigger that I could carry more crap in without stuffing it in the trunk.

I had allways liked the X for it's looks and I've allways had pretty good luck with Nissan cars. I looked into a GC but everytime I convinced myself that reliability wasn't as bad as it seems I would see 500 of them on the way to or from work and decided that I didn't want to be yet another drone. I then thought about a Yukon or a Tahoe . But then it hit me : they're made by Chevrolet and Chevrolet pretty much sucks.

Which brings us back to the X. The size I need in a stylish , love it or hate it package. I took a test drive and was hooked. It also didn't hurt that I can purchase a Nissan under the VPP program and paid $500 under invoice with an additional $500 dollar rebate and 3.9% financing.

When It came time to decide on the model I wanted I didn't even consider a 4x4. I'd never had one. Never needed one. Never even wanted one . I was buying a nice tall family vehicle with ample power and the room I needed and I was happy. I opted for the SE model because I actually like having a leather steering wheel and the little titanium accents dressed it up a little, made it a little more unique. I liked that it had a sunroof. Understand , I smoke and it sucks having your windows open in the rain or cold to let the smoke out. ( I never smoked with the kids in the vehicle). It just so happens that I have never smoked in the X because I didn't want it to smell like smoke or risk cigarette burns.

I drove of the lot with my black SE and I felt that I had made a wise purchase . The price I wanted , reliability I expect and styling that set it apart.

Keep in mind . Commercials are just advertising to portray an immage and it really wasn't my inspiration in my purchase descision. The off-road thing didn't even weigh into my descision. Not until I popped on to the XOC did I even begin to realize that there was more to it than my basic needs for purchase. I've since done some light modifications to my truck , not only to make it better and more comfortable on road , but a bit more capable off road.

I've taken it on a few trails and had a damn good time doing it. I have a new hobby. One that I had not even invisioned when I made my purchase. Now I'm going to make the most out of what I have. I'm pretty sure , if Nissan doesn't screw with the design too much there will be more and more aftermarket support.

I am an automobile enthusiast. I allways have been . Shit , a friend of mine left me his Porche all week and I'm like a little kid in a candy store. Just excited to be behind the wheel of something fun and different is cool. But I am now an X enthusiast. For better or for worse. 2wd and all. That is where my energy and passion for vehicles is focused. I've found my X to be a quite capable vehicle for my needs. It has met them and exceeded them far beyond my expecations of what I had percieved my X ownership would be.

I credit my 2wd minivan/station wagon as well as the XOC for introducing me to the exciting world of offroading. I hope , along with the rest of you , to continue to seek the limits of my truck's capability and seek out new ways to help it exceed those limits and raise the bar of it's performance.

It was from this thread . Please read it along with this thread .

Those should answer your question . Unless you don't really want the answer to your question and just were attempting to fan the flames.

#102399 - 11/12/02 04:15 PM Re: 4 x 2 Mods???
Paco Pico Offline

Loc: Gig Harbor, WA
BTW TrialsX...Why do you need a 3" calmini lift to fit 32's?

If you wanted to fit 32" tires on stock ride height you should have bought an 02' :p

#102400 - 11/12/02 04:51 PM Re: 4 x 2 Mods???
Mike Velazquez Offline

Loc: Whittier Ca
Do you need a 4X4 to want Bilstein shocks for a better RIDE ON and OFF road???? laugh [Wave]

#102401 - 11/12/02 04:56 PM Re: 4 x 2 Mods???
R&R LOPEZ Offline

Loc: Colorado Springs (Security)
I didn't know about the club and how huge it was untill I found a flyer on my windsheild, about the group then I reliezed that I made a mistake. I love my 4X2 it's taken me places I have never been. [Too much XOC]

FEAR NO ONE
RESPECT ALL

Life is but a Dream, Live it to its fullest!!!

#102402 - 11/12/02 05:11 PM Re: 4 x 2 Mods???
TrialsX Offline

Well, this is what I was afraid of. All I did was ask a question. Nothing was meant by it. It was just a personal curiosity. Alas, reading text from a screen carries no "feeling" or "intent" with it and for that I appologize.

For the most part, the first reply can be summed up with he didn't think he would do anything off road with the X when he bought it, had no need to, but turns out that going off road was something he wanted to do a little of later. That's it. And, you know what? That's fine!!! I don't have a problem with it, nor do you need to "Defend your honor" as it were.

Now, this reason, is pretty much what I figured. I just wanted to see if there was anything that I might not have been thinking of. I am sure the gas mileage is better with the 2WD as well. But, all I did was ask a question here.

If there is anyone that can look past any false pretense of this being a flame, please, I would like to hear from anyone.

As far as the my lift, a lot of ground clearance and increased articulation came from it. I am also looking for some new rims, with more offset, as my 32" still rub a little on the torsion bars when at full turn. I also wanted a much stiffer ride, that is, as you would expect, what I personally am looking for. I am not saying that anyone has should have the same likes and dislikes. We're all X owners, right?

As for the shocks, well. You are right, Mike. I didn't think of it that way. I guess I was thinking of the extended travel and whatnot. You made a good point. [Wave]

Anyone else? Please?

#102403 - 11/12/02 05:14 PM Re: 4 x 2 Mods???
TrialsX Offline

Tell you what, if there isn't anything that anyone else wants to add, let's just let it be, and our moderator can feel free to delete this whole thread. Sorry for the trouble.

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal