Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#490146 - 21/01/07 02:10 PM Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I searched and read all the posts on seat covers. I think I want neoprene from Okole. But-I'm not so sure abou the odor. I hav a wetsuit (neoprene) and everytime I open my gear closet I smell it - even though it's being stored in the plastic breathable bag. Do neoprene seat covers also have this same rubbery smell? Don't know if I want to trade my "new car" smell for a constant smell of rubber inside the X. Also - does anyone know of the Okole back seat covers have the cutouts for the three tie downs on the back of the seats? There's no rear pics on their website. thanks.

#490147 - 22/01/07 05:30 AM Re: Seat cover smell?
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
To be honest I don't recall any rubber smell when I installed them in my X.I also just picked up a set for my wife's X as well so I'll keep a nose open for ya. wink

#490148 - 22/01/07 06:39 AM Re: Seat cover smell?
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Never noticed a smell with my Okole's either. Mine are a few years old and actually wearing out at , what seems, an expedited rate. I stopped taking care of them awhile ago. They are great if taken care of with their cleaner and UV protectant. I highly recommend them if you want to pay the additional bucks.

#490149 - 22/01/07 09:36 AM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I installed Coverking neoprene covers in mine and it had a smell for a few days. Certainly smells better than my kayak gear.

#490150 - 22/01/07 10:10 AM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have had mine for a few months now... and on a rare occasion I get a wiff of neoprene. But I cant figure out why, Warm days or below zero days It has been both.

Just get a big ass bean burrito when you get your seat covers and blow the smell out. [Smoking]

#490151 - 22/01/07 02:35 PM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

MGJ

#490152 - 22/01/07 02:39 PM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Actually, here's a trick we employed at Volvo quiet a many years back..

Coffee Grinds... Not the expensive stuff either, go to you local supermarket, purchase a can of coffee grinds.

Dump the whole thing in a large enough container (Popcorn dish or large salad bowl perhaps?) and let it sit a few days. If you need to drive the car, saran wrap the coffee and get it outt the car.

Typical used car dept trickery. Volvo sux.

""Hey dude, is that a new 960?? You should have waited a year for the new 960Porcupine model... yeah, the PRICKS will be on the OUTSIDE of THAT car!"

Honestly though, it does work. Coffee absorbs the odor, and then dissapates quickly in the car. In other words, yer car wont smell like rubber OR Starbucks
MGJ

#490153 - 22/01/07 02:44 PM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

go with the coverkings. they smelled for the first week but i havnt noticed a smell since then.

#490154 - 22/01/07 04:06 PM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I took a look at the Coverkings but I can't get the color I want with them. So I'm leaning toward the Okoles. If they DO smell, I realize there's ways to deal with it, but if I find out for sure that they DON'T smell, then it would be worth the extra money I'd be throwing down. RI, if you receive yours any time soon, I would be interested in hearing if they smell after you put them in.

#490155 - 23/01/07 11:21 AM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have only noticed mine a few times I bet a dose of Febreeze and or coffee would get rid of it but I only smelled it for a second or 2 after the truck sat for a few days.

#490156 - 23/01/07 01:38 PM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

neoprene covers help keep the smell outa my truck. it doesnt let the farts sink in and sit in the seat...in my dads truck(chevy trailblazer) he has to carry a bottle of freebreeze in there. you bust ass and it lingers for a few days. and you dont smell it until you get up and leave it sit for a while. open the door and its like a gas chamber. he leaves the windows down every night now in the garage to get the "ass" outa the truck. so if anything, the neoprene prevents seepage of ass....plus they're water proof. mine are stained from where stuff has spilled...just throw em in the washed and they're good as new.

PS. i have the xterra covers.

#490157 - 23/01/07 01:43 PM Re: Seat cover smell?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by zuzuman03:
"ass" outa the truck. so if anything, the neoprene prevents seepage of ass....plus they're water proof. mine are stained
Ummmmmm.... thats disturbing. [Freak]

[Too much XOC]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal