2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#106214 - 17/03/02 05:58 PM Wheeling with Jeeps...
Snoopy Offline

Loc: San Diego CA
x_tempore and I had a chance to wheel with a local 4WD club called the San Diego 4Wheelers . We were the first Xterras to join a run with them.

Some tire spinning getting up the first step before dropping through "The Squeeze":

Dropping through:

Steve dropping down "The Squeeze":

We both received a bit of door damage: frown

Trail fix for a broken leaf spring on the Toyota 4Runner:

The trail leader joked that he thought is was one of the Xterras that was broke.

Overall, I enjoyed completing the trail although I personally underestimated the trail a bit. The San Diego 4Wheelers had many great and supportive members and some that were a bit condescending (i.e. telling me "the problem with your Xterra is...")

In a club like this you also have more experienced drivers that have a more relaxed attitude on body damage. It can be a bit nerve racking with these guys spotting you. [Uh Oh !]

More pictures from the day can be seen at FotoPoint .

Enjoy smile

#106215 - 17/03/02 06:39 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
XXXTERRA Offline

Loc: Toronto, Ont. Canada
Wow that's a serious squeeze. Was there any under carriage damage? Looks like there was some contact in the third photo.

#106216 - 17/03/02 06:45 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
roofgoat Offline

Loc: IL
So at the end of the day were any of the Jeeps impressed with your X's performance?

Also, do you have aftermarket skids?

#106217 - 17/03/02 06:53 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
steinism Offline

Loc: spooner street
Quote:
Originally posted by Snoopy:

The San Diego 4Wheelers had many great and supportive members and some that were a bit condescending (i.e. telling me "the problem with your Xterra is...")
yeah i always get comments like that when i do a run with jeepers. they kind of laugh at the IFS and the lack of lift and tire size we have on our X's.

#106218 - 17/03/02 06:59 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
mmUTK Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
I', glad you guys can afford to the offroad thing, and get some damage like that every other time you go out. I just can't afford to go out and find trouble.

Props to ya

#106219 - 17/03/02 07:28 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
Snoopy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by roofgoat:
I don't know about impressed...The group did clap and whistle for us when we made it through the tougher stuff.

Quote:
Originally posted by roofgoat:
I just installed SkidRow's front two plates.

#106220 - 17/03/02 09:41 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Snoopy, can I have #3160055.jpg for Xterra of the Week ?

That would make your third smile

#106221 - 17/03/02 10:19 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Sliders and skid plates recommended for that stuff! That is serious hardcore rocks!!!

-Rick

#106222 - 17/03/02 10:42 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
Snoopy Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Can I have #3160055.jpg for Xterra of the Week?
All yours!

Oddly, this was my favorite picture of the day also (on a 2WD trail none-the-less).

#106223 - 18/03/02 04:27 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
DocRedX Offline

Loc: San Diego
Snoopy,

I am glad your experience was a positive one. I have been out with the SD 4 Wheelers and had a blast... I took their "Newbie", (How do I get the air out of the tires?) run at Superstition Mountain and learned a lot.

I found a lot of hard won wisdom in their club and the patience to share it. I also learned the meaning of "No," as in, "No long wheel-base vehicles on particular runs."

Vehicles like the X climb like a goat and are great on steep down-hills, but are hell on the tight "jeep" trails where the wheel-base works against us.

I am looking forward to getting a real set lockers under my X, but for the time being I dream the impossible dreams of (very) limited slip and open differentials...

See ya on the Mohave Road,
Doc

P.S. Try sleeping in a CJ5...

#106224 - 18/03/02 07:06 PM Re: Wheeling with Jeeps...
noyupcj5 Offline

Loc: San Diego
A couple of "Paul Harvey -rest-of-the-stories" follow. First off - I'm admitting guilt for infecting an X-Terra owner with the 4x4 virus - Dave Roberts aka DocRedX (the red armored/lifted X-Terra w/31" BFG AT's X-Terra fm San Diego)

Am assuming that "Snoopy" and Steve include me in the group of "many great and supportive members [of San Diego 4Wheelers… ] " since I tail-gunned the Anza Borrego Pinyon Mountain run in my CJ-5 - immediately behind the X-Terras just prior to Heart Attack Hill (HAH).

Our club rates this annual St. Patty's Run a "Green to Light Red (Pink?)" (easy run, lockers recommended but not required). Visit us at http://www.sd4wheel.com

The Paul Harvey "rest-of-the-stories" for you:

· That broken Toyota 4-Runner is an impressive machine that also went * UP * HAH along with several Jeeps, before it later broke that leaf spring for no obvious reason… it has a greater than 200:1 crawl ratio (goes up walls gracefully).

· Later, the Toy went * UP * the AzB Diablo Drop-off while * BROKEN * (BTW, that trail fix that held solid for some 40-50 trail/road miles back to camp - so keep that bailing wire handy, and note the creative use of shackles).

Regarding Jeepers attitudes towards X-Terras:

Our club welcomes/appreciates *ALL* responsible, safe wheelers, INCLUDING X-Terras. We are admittedly predominantly SWB Jeeps but have many Cherokees, several Toyotas (various), full-size Chevy/GMC Blazer/Jimmys, Broncos...

The X-Terra is a great multi-purpose vehicle. It has style, a solid frame, and is a very usable size (there's no storage in a CJ/Wrangler). Few OEM/stock SUVs are trail ready "out-of-the-box" Jeeps included - so don't be discouraged. To enhance X-Terra's trail performance - here's some suggestions for X-T's but generally applies to Jeeps/other 4x4's too… (whatever's available and whatever your wallet/pocket book can $tand…):

1. Articulation! Do whatever you can to increase your suspension articulation - wheels in the air DO NOT provide any motive power or steering input… (the rear is generally easier- try Add-a-Leafs/Shackles/longer shocks, etc. Shackles can sometimes flatten springs but they also let your suspension drop/maintain tire contact (a good thing). Good luck on the front - IFS is harder/more expensive to modify on any vehicle type (including Jeep Liberty)) try a slight a torsion bar adjust/lift & longer shocks (pray for your CV joints) for a start.
2. Rock rails/sliders to protect your expensive rockers/doors. (e.g. Cherokees use/need them) Unfortunately OEM tube steps just get bent/damaged.
3. Skid plates are your friend for protection of vital organs (tranny, xfr case, gas tank) and especially when you have limited suspension lift
4. Install some All Terrain (at least) type tires - the OEM tires don't have enough traction. A slight lift in a X-Terra allows 31" tires for starters. Note BFG's have 3-ply sidewalls - better for rocks. Newbies - don't forget to "air down" for traction in rocks & sand... yes rocks.
5. Before leaving the driveway/hitting the trail consider removing decorative X-Terra wheel hub caps, splash guards/flaps, aluminum tube steps (hopefully n/a, since you've switched to sliders…) since they tend to get destroyed on the trail (I saw three caps get crunched on the run)
6. Rear Lockers: the OEM rear LSD (Limited Slip Differential) is pretty good, a full locker is best, but automatic lockers (no "off switch") are unfortunately bad on ice/snow. There are air/electric/cable lockers, designs vary and have plusses and minuses - talk to your local tech expert. This may sound strange but you can lightly use your use your parking brake to "load" the rear wheels/LSD giving you more traction (just remember to take it off when you're done with that obstacle). If you only have one LSD/locker put it in the rear - most traction.
7. Front Lockers: When they become commercially available, consider a front locker (see DocRedX's posts and subsequent replies, elsewhere on this site) there are many competing designs they all have plusses and minuses… (see that local expert again).
8. Open Diffs: If your X-T/whatever has open diffs you really DO NOT have 4-wheel drive - a surprise for some. Folks with open differentials (no LSD or locker) may not realize that they are tearing up the trails - those diagonally opposed divots/holes you see/drive through on most hills are caused by 2-wheel and/or 4-wheel folks with open diffs spinning tires/digging in. Generally if you can finesse an obstacle w/o creating a cloud of dust and rocks - you're doing it right (ask DocRedX how to do it).
9. Driving Technique: Go on several runs with an established, experienced 4x4 club, try several Green or Light Red runs even if you think you know what you're doing - you'd be surprised what you don't know. Build up your basic trail experience (and feel for your vehicle) and share driving techniques w/your friends. Also talk/drive with folks that have your vehicle type/model/equipment. Next work your way up to more difficult Red or Black runs (if you're so inclined - or some say crazy/wealthy).
10. Trail difficulty: Ratings incorporate equipment and driver experience. Western trails are rated in several ways here's a sampling:
· We use Green (easy) to Red (challenging) to Black (Hard Core, moderate damage likely) so that gives you some idea of what equipment your vehicle needs or what you can expect on the trail (damage?). See http://www.sd4wheel.com/runtypes.html
· Jeep Jamboree rates them 1 (easy) to 10 (most demanding) see http://jeepjamboreeusa.com/ratings.htm
· Another source: 1 (2 wheel drive OK) to 4+ (4x4 and 10% vehicles sustain major damage gears/axles/driveshafts) see http://www.4x4now.com/tr.htm

Here's a few final general suggestions:
· Install a CB radio - they're great for groups and you can share trail chatter on (Channel 4), call for help from other 4x4 folks, get a head's up on trail problems ahead, and even get spotting info. Licensed 2-meter ham radios are even better for range. Very small groups can also get by w/ FRS radios on a common channel.
· Be sure to write letters and e-mails to voice your support for efforts to protect and maintain our trail and public lands access. The major 4x4 and off-road groups are now funding lawyers to force balanced management of your public lands, so please support them with your membership. Otherwise we'll all just be driving our 4x4's to the GROCERY STORE…
· Most importantly HAVE FUN, BE SAFE, carry a First Aid kit and vehicle recovery equipment (loop tow straps and tow hooks or receivers on both ends of your vehicle).

Enjoy your X-Terra and see you on the trail!!!

Denny Grimes

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal