2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107636 - 20/11/04 01:10 PM ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am getting what I believe is excessive oil bubbling at the solenoid exhaust port on the compressor when I disengage the locker. The manual states that some oil misting here is normal. I am getting a slow bubbling each time the locker is disengaged to the point where it is dripping over the sides of the solenoid after engaging/disengaging about three times. Is this a symptom of bad o-rings or seals in the diff. I have had the system less than 6 months and had the entire system installed by the dealer in my area recommended by ARB. If there is a problem should I expect the shop or ARB to cover it, or am I stuck with the bill? I have not engaged/disengaged this locker more than 25 times!!

#107637 - 20/11/04 03:44 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Toy Man Offline

Loc: Beaverton Oregon
I used to have this - especially when I was at at altitude in GOX2. It would blow quite a plume onto the underside of my hood.

Subsided but I still had some when I returned to sea level. My installer took a piece of brake line, threaded it, put a 90 degree bend in it and screwed it into the exhaust part of the valve. I then attached a piece of rubber tubing to it and ran it down alongside the fenderwell. I suppose it is still 'misting' a little but I never notice it. I remember WarMonger having the same problem and he also did the same 'fix'.

Toy Man

#107638 - 20/11/04 03:45 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Toy Man Offline

I used to have this - especially when I was at at altitude in GOX2. It would blow quite a plume onto the underside of my hood.

Subsided but I still had some when I returned to sea level. My installer took a piece of brake line, threaded it, put a 90 degree bend in it and screwed it into the exhaust part of the valve. I then attached a piece of rubber tubing to it and ran it down alongside the fenderwell. I suppose it is still 'misting' a little but I never notice it. I remember WarMonger having the same problem and he also did the same 'fix'.

Toy Man

#107639 - 20/11/04 03:56 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

It seems like quite a lot to me. Not really misting but sort of bleeding off....enough to drip on the street under the truck...I am going to have it checked by the installer to make sure that it is nothing to worry about. How much was yours "misting"?

#107640 - 20/11/04 06:16 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
pinoy Offline

Loc: TinleyPark, IL.
Check to make sure the breather on the diff. is not plugged up. There is a check valve at the end of the tube mounted to the cross bar, make sure that is operating properly. I found mine rusted shut, causing the pressure in the diff to blow oil back through the solenoid.

#107641 - 20/11/04 10:30 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rick Abt:
How much was yours "misting"?
The amount of "misting" is a bit less than what you might get from a spritz of hairspray. Checking the rear diff breather tube is also a good idea. It should not be kinked or plugged. I actually have the same issue, which used to make a mess under my hood, until I used a solution similar to ToyMan's, except I used the plastic tube from inside a Windex bottle, cut to about 3/4" and threaded inside the solenoid, with a short length of clear plastic water line (like the kind in aquariums) glued to the end and routed down into the wheel well. (You could also terminate the hose into an empty container so oil doesn't drip on the ground.)

#107642 - 21/11/04 05:19 AM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Toy Man Offline

If you use a piece of brakeline, be sure to support it as it will break off from vibration otherwise.

Toy Man

#107643 - 21/11/04 05:35 AM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

First I am going to make sure that what I am experiencing is "normal" and acceptable. It does seem like more oil is coming out than really should.....but what do I know? So back to the shop she'll go...will make sure the breather is free. Then I'll go from there. I'll post what the problem is....ir if, in fact, there is one. Thanks for your help. Discussing it here has at least made me feel better until this is sorted out.

#107644 - 21/11/04 09:41 AM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Did you check the diff vent as stated above? It's more than likely that. If you take it to the shop, they find out that is what's causing it, you're out of pocket on this one.

It's a quick check, although you may get a little dirty, worth the extra effort.

Dripping fluid at the solenoid isn't normal, but 'misting' or a shadow is.

#107645 - 22/11/04 11:44 AM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Just got back from the ARB dealer. The diff vent was fine. They purged the air lines and have been in communication with ARB. What I am experiencing is not normal at all...as I thought. ARB recommends them to replace the two seals in the diff and is covering it under warranty. The parts will take about 7 to 10 days to get here. I will have the tech explain to me exactly how this all works and what apparently went wrong and post as much as I can remember here.

#107646 - 22/11/04 01:08 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ahh, so what they're saying is, the o-rings on the ARB failed, and let the oil slide into the unit, and right out the air line. In other words, pretty much the only failure that could happen to the unit, did happen...

that suxs, but at least it's covered under warranty. ARB has the occasional problem with their o-rings; usually it's installer error, though, 'cause if they get pinched, scraped, damaged, etc., when putting them on, then they'll fail pretty easily.

Oh well. hopefully it'll take care of the problem for good. Just make sure your installer doesn't "roll" the o-rings on...that's probably what caused 'em to fail in the first place.

#107647 - 08/12/04 03:13 PM Re: ARB Locker Problem
Anonymous
Unregistered

Picked the truck up from the shop today. ARB paid for a complete tear-down and replacement of the seals under warranty. Everything is working fine now. Shop said that they have had that happen before, but acted like it didn't happen often. I believe from hearing from others that it happens quite a lot though. They also said that it is a new design, so it seems like ARB is quite aware that this is a weak spot and is trying to make it more reliable. Hope I have no more trouble with it. I am please with the customer service at the shop and at ARB. We'll see how it holds up.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal