Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#108124 - 31/03/05 01:33 PM Front locker in an 05???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Can a locker be put in the front diff on an 05???

I am interested in getting an 05 Off Road Xterra and was just planning ahead for mods??

Thanks

#108125 - 31/03/05 01:43 PM Re: Front locker in an 05???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Nothing is out there for an R180 front diff.

#108126 - 31/03/05 06:00 PM Re: Front locker in an 05???
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert Dan:
Can a locker be put in the front diff on an 05???

I am interested in getting an 05 Off Road Xterra and was just planning ahead for mods??

Thanks
I think you'll have to figure out how to defeat the traction control first. Or maybe not. Hmmm. If both wheels are locked together the computer shouldn't sense slippage.

Maybe it won't be an issue after all. Anyone care to comment?

#108127 - 01/04/05 11:41 AM Re: Front locker in an 05???
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've wheeled Land Rovers in the past. The traction control worked well in them. The addition of an LSD (geared preferred over clutch) such as a truetrac or quaife greatly enhanced the effectiveness of the traction control. some would run a true locker such as an ARB or Detroit in the rear and some sort of LSD in the front.
The traction control did not mind the locker one bit.
My Jeep Rubicon had a locker in the front and I never really used it. The times I tried it out just for grins it made the rig very hard to steer over obstacles if both wheels wound up finding traction partway through. Buddies who were a little more "locker happy" would go through axles on a regualr basis, particularly on the front. I'm more inclined to an LSD in the front based on past experiences and my personal preferences.
I might even go with a Truetrac in the rear on my 05 X. I haven't confirmed it yet but the housing in the rear looks dana 44ish. if it is indeed the 32 spline unit used in the Titan and if it uses a "standard" dana carrier etc. it would be relatively simple to swap down to the 30 spline axles from the Off Road trim and install a Truetrac (which comes in 30 spline at roughly $350-375).

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal