2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107926 - 04/03/02 09:50 AM Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Yesterday, a few GDXC members headed out for a day run and one person running 33's (don't think he's an XOC member) folded his tie rod while attempting to climb over a rock. I managed to get it on video and as he's coming over the rock the passenger side front tire turned itself inward almost 90 degrees.

Anyway, trying to get the thing off (and also back on) was the real pain. What do you use to keep the bolt from turning while your taking the nut off or putting back on? Something needs to hold the bolt while you screw/unscrew the nut. We did manage to keep the bolt from turning by wedging a bar in there and applying pressure, but it took forever. The bolt kept turning with the nut. What is the correct way to do it? BTW- we ended up pounding the centerlink into submission and getting it back on fairly straight. Enough to limp home anyway.

#107927 - 04/03/02 10:10 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Bolt or ball joint taper ?

If it's the ball joint taper, then it should not turn when loosening the castle nut.
Getting the castle nut tightened is tougher though, and you need some force on the ball joint so it can get a bit of grip. This is where an impact wrench does wonders.

Please post the video of the action, it will be a good learning video.

#107928 - 04/03/02 10:47 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Cygnus-X1 Offline

My apologies for not knowing the right terms so I'll try and describe it better....if you were in front of the X looking straight ahead at the passenger tire, it would be the vertical bolt farthest away from the tire (i.e the right side of the tie rod). The leftmost side, the joint where it connects to the wheel, was easy.

#107929 - 04/03/02 10:55 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Olegkha Offline

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Ian: if you dont mind, how is it going to be educational ?
i seen 4 Xterra tie rods go south , and nither of them was doing anything out of ordinary

just curious what you were talking about

#107930 - 04/03/02 11:13 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Cygnus-X1 Offline

ooops...forgot to mention that video was taken with my handycam. I can transfer it to vhs if anyone has way to convert it or something.

Basically, if you are looking straight ahead at the X, the drivers side tire is trying to climb the rock. The passenger tire comes foward normally, and as the driver side starts to climb the rock , the pasenger tire turns severely inward. One those things you just sorta cringe at when you see it.

#107931 - 04/03/02 11:25 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
Ian: if you dont mind, how is it going to be educational ?
i seen 4 Xterra tie rods go south , and nither of them was doing anything out of ordinary
They are actually very hard to bend.
You saw 4 people with poor driving skills, or poorly set up vehicles bend them.

#107932 - 04/03/02 11:46 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Olegkha Offline

I dont think so Ian

the set up was tires 33-31
the driving skils were OK, nothing too crazy

one was straight up hill with rocks smaller then "The Wall"
one was hole in the ground covered by mud, not too much power was needed.

no crazy jumps,
no crazy tire spin,
no crazy jumping.

#107933 - 04/03/02 02:05 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Dayspring Offline

Loc: Greenwood IN
Perfect solution to the problem- EOE HD Tie Rod Adjusters. I doubt anybody'll fold one of those in half...

#107934 - 04/03/02 03:37 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
They are actually very hard to bend.
You saw 4 people with poor driving skills, or poorly set up vehicles bend them.
I think that is BS too. If they were so hard to bend no one would be buying EOE tie rod adjusters, or is everyone that owns an X besides you a bad driver? [Finger]

#107935 - 04/03/02 03:42 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
or is everyone that owns an X besides you a bad driver?
I've seen enough video of people to know that a large portion of the "HaRdCoRe DuDeS" haven't a clue what they are doing behind the wheel.

That leads to broken parts.

The EOE tie rods are an excellent investment no matter how you drive.

#107936 - 04/03/02 04:05 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
2001frontier Offline

Loc: Fort Worth, TX
I am just ribbing ya a little man. I agree, some people drive off road like morons (read Chia laugh ), but broken parts are somewhat inevitable if you take your truck off road at some point. I do know what you are talking about though. I have seen some big ass built up Jeeps break on trails that I went up with no problem. Too much gas and no brains is usually the mixture. Maybe a few beers thrown in for good measure.

I also think that it is important when you are looking at a difficult trail that you don't let others pressure you into running it if you don't think your skills or your truck are up to it. Screw them. It is not their life or their truck.

Actually, anyone who seriuosly dogs on someone that is not comfortable with running a trail is not worth going with anyway. If they were they would realize that it would be safer for everyone concerned for that person not to be on it if they don't think they can handle it. Sorry for the long ass off topic post, but I have seen this too many times.

#107937 - 04/03/02 10:45 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by 2001frontier:
I have seen some big ass built up Jeeps break on trails that I went up with no problem.
It's called "Jeep syndrome", but it can happen to anybody in any vehicle.

It's the problem of thinking you can do anything because of the name plate on your vehicle or the modifications you've done to it.

Offroad driving is 98% driver, 2% vehicle.

Xterra101.com

#107938 - 05/03/02 04:25 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
chocalx Offline

Loc: Silver Spring, MD, USA
Quote:
Anyway, trying to get the thing off (and also back on) was the real pain. What do you use to keep the bolt from turning
while your taking the nut off or putting back on?
Is this the part you are refering to. Tie Rod connector Ball Joint .
It is tuff if the thread is a bit damaged, Just make sure you can run the nut back on without having to use major force (by hand) all the way to the end of the thread before you put it back on the truck, or else the ball joint will spin and spin unless you put presure on the ball joint so it doesnt spin anymore.

#107939 - 25/03/02 10:33 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
solarinsocal Offline

Loc: Ontario, CA
The tie rod connectors, are they being broken because of the amount of stress that a larger wheel and tire combo places on them, or are they trying to use the power steering pump to gain leverage? I am asking because I don't want to be out in the middle or nowhere and snap one.

#107940 - 25/03/02 12:09 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Olegkha Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyinsocal:
The tie rod connectors, are they being broken because of the amount of stress that a larger wheel and tire combo places on them, or are they trying to use the power steering pump to gain leverage? I am asking because I don't want to be out in the middle or nowhere and snap one.
why dont you get two of them from EOE, and install them
this way you will never be stranded in the middle of no where becasue of tie rod adjuster bending on you

#107941 - 25/03/02 06:06 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
NthLJ Offline

Loc: Reno, NV USA
Or as Todd (EOE) suggested to me...install the beefy ones and keep the old ones as spares with your tools to help somone else out with smile He also mentioned that this has been happening a lot lately.

Charlie

Sensitivity is important in any relationship...
"I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'" --Bob Newhart

#107942 - 25/03/02 09:06 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
solarinsocal Offline

Loc: Ontario, CA
Sounds like a plan. smile

#107943 - 26/03/02 06:45 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Quote:
Originally posted by sunnyinsocal:
The wrong offset wheels will definetely stress your steering components more, other parts to watch are your centerlink and idler arm. I switched to the Moog idler arm which is a stronger design than the stock one and added a steering stabilizer...and of course I run the EOE HD tie rod adjusters as well.

In the past month I have heard of close to 10 failures of the Nissan tie rod adjusters and I am beginning to think metal fatigue is also playing a part, I will try and get some more info from new customers on how much wheeling they have done, tire/rim combinations and how many miles overall and see if I can make any correlation between things.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#107944 - 26/03/02 08:50 AM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Cygnus-X1 Offline

As you already said, sounds like the combination of the wrong offset and larger tires is the major problem. Especially the offset. What I don't get is, some people say the tie rods bend/break very easily and others say you really have to be doing some major wheeling for them to fail. So which is it?

#107945 - 30/03/02 06:16 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by FSRBIKER:
I switched to the Moog idler arm which is a stronger design than the stock one and added a steering stabilizer...and of course I run the EOE HD tie rod adjusters as well.
We managed to kill both in Moab. My Moog Idler arm bent, and the bushings inside it failed. That put my relay rod into the frame when turning, as the idler had 2 inches of end play. It was interesting finishing Golden Spike with very little steering.

Did you mention they were rebuildable ? I'd like to look inside it.

XToolbox bent an EOE tie-rod about 40 degrees on the same run.

#107946 - 30/03/02 09:08 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Why don't we get a company like this one to come up with a solution, if we could convince them of the need and that there are enough of us ready to buy a kit or parts.
I hear SLR is working on something but how long to we have to wait before someone gets hurt.
How about a poll for who would fork out 400-600 or? bucks for a bullet proof steering setup?

Performance Unlimited

Chris

#107947 - 30/03/02 09:29 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by CCX:
Why don't we get a company like this one to come up with a solution
Would you really trust a steering system from a company that says not to use their products on the street ?

We already have companies working on steering fixes, just give them time.

#107948 - 30/03/02 09:58 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
CCX Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
Would you really trust a steering system from a company that says not to use their products on the street ?

Um, no, I guess I missed that part, oh well.

Spencer Jr. showed us some serious steering parts they had when he came to West-X, but that was 6 months ago, so I hope they are getting close.

Chris

#107949 - 31/03/02 02:00 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
Kerensky97 Offline

Loc: Utah
Quote:
Originally posted by Olegkha:
why dont you get two of them from EOE, and install them
this way you will never be stranded in the middle of no where becasue of tie rod adjuster bending on you
wink
(inside joke)

Xterra101.com

#107950 - 31/03/02 04:26 PM Re: Fixing a bent tie rod centerlink
apwired Offline

Loc: LA, CA, USA
Hey Dustin, inside joke like this you mean?

Brian\'s EOE bend

How was Big Saturday btw?

-alfonse

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal