Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104361 - 18/04/05 06:16 AM PITMAN arm being a real bastard
alliedacid Offline

I'm about ready to give up..
I'm removing my stock steering to make way for the ?tionable Calmini HD kit.
but my old pitman arm will not give up.
I've been using a 7-ton puller and lots of PB blaster. no dice. Heat is not an option, seals would melt. so I'm left with the SAW. only problem is once I start cutting there is no turning back. I already lost a breaker bar to this indevor. (got to love Craftsmans warrenty.)
Do i continue?

#104362 - 18/04/05 06:22 AM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
RI Xterra Offline

Loc: Rhode Island
Another thing to try is when you have the puller on the pitman arm itself,giving the bolt on the puller a few light whacks with a BFH and try turning it again.Just keep repeating that a few times and see if the works...It ended up working for me and it eventually came off...

#104363 - 18/04/05 08:16 AM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Had the same problem with my truck. We blasted it with every known rust removal system/penetrator lubricate we could think of. Finally we tightened the puller up as much as we could blasted it again, tightened once more and went to sleep. The next morning the arm was on the ground???? Dont know what happened but it worked!!!!

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#104364 - 18/04/05 08:24 AM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
DesertHB Offline

Loc: Huntington Beach, CA
You might want to see if you have a pal with an impact gun to use on the puller.

-Doug

#104365 - 18/04/05 08:27 AM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Yeah... I'm gonna buy a 600ft-lb impact to use on my crankshaft bolt anyway (for harmonic balancer removal).... might come in handy for this, too.

#104366 - 18/04/05 03:21 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
FSRBIKER Offline

Loc: Oak Ridge, NJ
Make sure you tap the nut with a hammer to help the PB Blaster(great stuff)penetrate the threads. You can also give the pitman arm a few whacks(to also help the PB Blaster) but be careful since you do not want to damage the steering box.
EOE...Opening Soon!

#104367 - 18/04/05 05:36 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
alliedacid Offline

Yep I left the puller on all night long with pb blaster sprayed on it every few hours and as for the BFH.. how does a 25 lb sledge sound, the whole truck rung like a f'in bell; and still nothing. I'm heading to my mechanics shop in the am. to try it there. also my friend is a service manager at RB nissan, and I;m talking to him tommorrow when the mechanics are in the shop. this whole thing is pissing me off and very similar to my T-bar install; 3-days of frustration ending with a blow torch and a BFH.

#104368 - 18/04/05 06:48 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
Anonymous
Unregistered

there is alot of friction between the shaft on the puller and the shaft on the steering box. Try putting a little grease between the two and hit it with that impact gun. Also you should be able to heat up the arm without heating up the whole shaft. It doesn't need to be smoking hot, just start on the end of the arm away from the shaft. That might be all you need.

#104369 - 18/04/05 09:45 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by alliedacid:
Yep I left the puller on all night long with pb blaster sprayed on it every few hours and as for the BFH.. how does a 25 lb sledge sound, the whole truck rung like a f'in bell; and still nothing.
WOOHOO!!! Sounds like another steering box is gonna' need repaired soon...

#104370 - 19/04/05 01:30 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
slomatt Offline

Loc: Bay Area, CA
We ran into a similar issue with an XTerra pitman arm last year. The final solution (after breaking two 1/2" ratchets getting the nut off) was to cut through the pitman arm with a grinder, being careful not to damage the threads on the sector shaft. We then used a prybar and a mallet to spread the cut open, and finally were able to get the pitman arm off of the truck.

Fun fun.

http://www.blankwhitepage.com/gallery/xterra20040731/IMG_2925

- Matt

#104371 - 20/04/05 11:27 AM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
alliedacid Offline

Well, my freind at Peace of Mind Auto took five minutes to get the pitman arm free. I need an air compressor at home. ... slaped the puller on and hit the pitman arm with an air hammer. POP. I'm getting the alignment done tommorow .
Next up is to find out where the clicking is coming. been clicking since the NIORA run at RC4x4, on march 9th. (not related to the BFH)
Either the alignment is causing something to bind, or my CV's are wearing, or the hubs are bad. banking on the Hubs or alignment, the cheapest and fastest to fix.

Yeah I also broke a 1/2" Craftsmen breaker bar, got a new 1/2" and bought a 3/4" breaker bar no worries with that baby, weighing in at 10 lbs. it makes nuts and bolts loosen up on their own.

#104372 - 20/04/05 11:48 AM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
xterra3202 Offline

Loc: Georgia
Good to hear you got the bastard off finally, sometimes its easy and others well...you know. Have fun and hopefully all the other issues will work out.

Tim

Thomas Jefferson

#104373 - 20/04/05 02:52 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Well, my freind at Peace of Mind Auto took five minutes to get the pitman arm free. I need an air compressor at home. ... slaped the puller on and hit the pitman arm with an air hammer. POP. I'm getting the alignment done tommorow .
Next up is to find out where the clicking is coming. been clicking since the NIORA run at RC4x4, on march 9th. (not related to the BFH)
Either the alignment is causing something to bind, or my CV's are wearing, or the hubs are bad. banking on the Hubs or alignment, the cheapest and fastest to fix.

Yeah I also broke a 1/2" Craftsmen breaker bar, got a new 1/2" and bought a 3/4" breaker bar no worries with that baby, weighing in at 10 lbs. it makes nuts and bolts loosen up on their own.
Oh - didn't realize you didn't have air.

Yes... for what it costs, EVERYONE HERE SHOULD HAVE AN AIR SETUP AT HOME!!!!

You can get a decent compressor for ~$200 (Home Depot et al), and a cheapie set of tools for $100 or less (I got a set of DeVilbiss tools from Sam's Club for $80). They (air tools in general) are just amazing.

Oh - and for some great - but cheap - impact sockets, check out Harbor Freight.

#104374 - 20/04/05 03:20 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
Quote:
[b]Well, my freind at Peace of Mind Auto took five minutes to get the pitman arm free. I need an air compressor at home. ... slaped the puller on and hit the pitman arm with an air hammer. POP. I'm getting the alignment done tommorow .

Oh - didn't realize you didn't have air.

Yes... for what it costs, EVERYONE HERE SHOULD HAVE AN AIR SETUP AT HOME!!!!

You can get a decent compressor for ~$200 (Home Depot et al), and a cheapie set of tools for $100 or less (I got a set of DeVilbiss tools from Sam's Club for $80). They (air tools in general) are just amazing.

Oh - and for some great - but cheap - impact sockets, check out Harbor Freight.[/b]
Or forget about impact sockets, and just buy/use your regular Crafstman sockets... Their warranty covers stupidity, like using a reg. socket on an impact wrench... They'll replace it, no questions asked. No matter how many times you come in during a day w/ the same size busted socket...

#104375 - 20/04/05 08:50 PM Re: PITMAN arm being a real bastard
Anonymous
Unregistered

When we did my install, we broke a 7 ton puller, and had to get a 10 ton if I remember right.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal