2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#495291 - 15/03/10 02:41 PM Anyone do an engine swap yet (not another nissan)
andrewh Offline

Loc: Raleigh NC
Guys,
Been looking at the paperwork needed to do an engine swap in the X and keep it road legal. I have an old crd liberty carcass with a good engine and tranny + electronics accessible. While it wont happen for another couple of years, I cannot get a straight answer either from the DMV or the EPA on what I need to get this done.

This is what I have so far. EPA says no engines from older vehicles into newer chassis. Check. Engine has to be in a vehicle that has been approved for US use. Check. Engine has to retain all smog related items (cats etc etc) check... Now the local rules (NC) are tricky. Apparently I have to apply for a kit car and have it refereed. With no outline of things needed to "pass", this worries me. Has anyone here put in an engine off of another vehicle (in the X or other, jeep etc etc). Id like to pick your brains on insurance and/or DMV regulations.

#495295 - 15/03/10 07:16 PM Re: Anyone do an engine swap yet (not another nissan) [Re: andrewh]
swampwrecker Offline

Loc: Brunswick, GA
Andrew,

When you have the truck inspected do they look under the hood? If they do, could they tell the difference between what is under the hood and what should be under the hood? If you put the CRD engine in the Xterra other than you (and most likely us) who is going to know? I don't know NC regulations, but I would expect as long as it still has cats and it passes Smog test I can't imagine they'd hassle you.

I know in NJ they don't check under the hood during inspection and they do a pretty thorough inspection of more than just smog.

-Michael

#495299 - 15/03/10 09:00 PM Re: Anyone do an engine swap yet (not another nissan) [Re: swampwrecker]
andrewh Offline

Loc: Raleigh NC
Thanks Mike, no, they dont look under the hood at all, just connect the odb2 and see if it passes. If it were a trail only rig, i wouldnt care as much but id like to get it insured at some point to be road legal... ill hit up some yota forums... i heard they like swapping in some vw diesel goodness

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal