2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Tom), 67 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#100161 - 15/11/03 02:12 AM normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I'm in 4wd, turning the wheel/taking a corner without stepping on the gas is like stepping on the brakes...the truck just stops. I've only had the car for about 6 weeks, so
I'm not familar with this...is it normal? It makes parking a hell of an experience. At first it didn't concern me, but tonight I did a 360 in 4wd and the car lugged and pulsated. It certainly seemed incorrect. Any ideas?

When I first got the car, something with the 4wd was broken (I believe they said a washer was cracked) that caused the car to not engage/disengage 4wd properly, and loud noises and lots of lugging resulted. Not sure if it's at all related...

#100162 - 15/11/03 02:23 AM Re: normal?
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
What type of surface was your car on?

BRX

#100163 - 15/11/03 02:29 AM Re: normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

normal paved street

#100164 - 15/11/03 02:37 AM Re: normal?
BluRdgX Offline

Loc: Virginia's Blue Ridge Mountain...
4L or 4H? Was the street was dry?

BRX

#100165 - 15/11/03 02:47 AM Re: normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was in 4H, and yeah, it had been raining.

#100166 - 15/11/03 02:54 AM Re: normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was in 4H, and yeah, it had been raining.

#100167 - 15/11/03 07:55 AM Re: normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The jerking and pulsing is because your front wheels aren't sliding.

When driving in 4wd you need to be on a soft surface that will allow the front wheels to slide a little in turns because 4x4 means all 4 wheels turn the same. So, when your TRUCK turns your front wheels need to make up / compensate for the distance they are traveling since they turn in rotation with the rear. To do this, they slide.

You also should not be using 4wd on pavement. Unless their is snow on the ground or a shitload of water.

#100168 - 15/11/03 09:39 AM Re: normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Smitty (I assume that's what HSmith stands for right?) - have a good look at the owners manual and search for threads relating to the use of the 4wd system here and elsewhere. Using it improperly will result in significant damage and you won't be pleased.

It's not all that complicated but it's important to understand how your truck (it's a truck not a car mind you) operates.

You'll avoid costly repairs and learn to use your truck to it's full potential. More importantly, you'll actually learn to DRIVE it as opposed to simply operating it.

Good luck.

#100169 - 15/11/03 09:47 AM Re: normal?
Anonymous
Unregistered

ah yes...so sorry i called it car [Uh Oh !] I clearly wasn't thinking. thanks for the answer, though. i'll make sure to read the manual now wink

#100170 - 16/11/03 09:46 PM Re: normal?
Rickster43 Offline

Loc: San Antonio,Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Suspect2:

You also should not be using 4wd on pavement. Unless their is snow on the ground or a shitload of water.
Try reading this http://www.wittenburg.co.uk/OffRoading/Driving/
alot of good reading on how the 4x4 works and when, and where to use the 4x4 system..

"The Universe without Music would be Madness"...

#100171 - 17/11/03 02:54 AM Re: normal?
ChuckH Offline

Loc: Seattle, WA
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
Quote:
[b]

Try reading this http://www.wittenburg.co.uk/OffRoading/Driving/
alot of good reading on how the 4x4 works and when, and where to use the 4x4 system..[/b]
That's a good site for getting people started. I would also highly recommend that those with absolutely no 4x4 experience fork out a small amount of cash for a training class of some sort. There are professionals out there who will show you how to operate your 4x4 vehicle for what I consider to be a small fee. For example, the Offroad Academy in Vancouver B.C. offers training courses for different levels and is operated by very experienced offroad professionals. They have their own training courses and they offer offroading vacations and such too. In any case, spending $200 ahead of time could save you thousands of dollars later if you get yourself into a situation that results in needing rescue or significant vehicle damage that could have been avoided with basic training.

Seriously, if you have never 4 wheeled and want to start, consider a course!

Offroad Academy

#100172 - 17/11/03 01:58 PM Re: normal?
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
Quote:
[QB] You also should not be using 4wd on pavement. Unless their is snow on the ground or a shitload of water.[/

QB]
Read the damn Owners manual!

-Rick

#100173 - 18/11/03 07:44 PM Re: normal?
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Seriously, if you have never 4 wheeled and want to start, consider a course!
I just saw the video from teh offroad academy. The Range Rover Classic unable to shift into the low range is exactly why I prefer a simple part time 4wd system like the Xterra's over the sophisticated full time LR 4wd. X's and Jeeps (TJ & some Liberty) have pure mechanical levers for the transfer case; unless something is physically stuck onto the gears or something, chances are you'll be able to shift into low under any kind of condition.

But looking at the new RangeRover - sure it's capable when it's new, but with a thousand electronic components to break down, it only takes one short circuit to render it a total useless piece of junk.

Moderator:  Ramness 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal