Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103443 - 13/11/05 10:12 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

You can add me to the list of 4X2's smile

#103444 - 17/11/05 09:20 AM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I GOT MY 2WD AT A STEAL OF A LIFETIME SO I AM VERY HAPPY, BESIDES I LIVE IN TENNESSEE AND I CANT REALLY THINK OF ANY TIME I NEEDED 4WD

#103445 - 17/11/05 07:22 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
TremorX Offline

Loc: Waycross, GA
Quote:
Originally posted by EricX03:
I GOT MY 2WD AT A STEAL OF A LIFETIME SO I AM VERY HAPPY, BESIDES I LIVE IN TENNESSEE AND I CANT REALLY THINK OF ANY TIME I NEEDED 4WD
But I can think of a time when you needed to find your caps lock key: November 17, 2005 10:20 AM

#103446 - 18/11/05 02:15 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NROCKX:
i'm trying to decide if i should go for the SL and new tires and all or if i should just wait a few years and trade my 4x2 for a 4x4. (when i bought it i didn't realize how much more fun you can have with a 4x4). any advice? confused
Well, seeing that you just got it you're truck this year then if you trade in you will take a heavy loss unless you can put 20% down to not be upside down. I went through the same thing. I originally hated the Xterra and bought one for my wife which was the 4 banger 2wd. Then we both got into wheelin and had to wait 2 years to be able to do a trade on it. You'll have to wait at least 2 years and then trade to not be to far upside down or just sell it for the amount that you owe and then go and get a 4wd one.

#103447 - 19/11/05 02:06 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the 2WD continues to impress me everytime I take it out. Switch off the VDC and keep it in low gears and I'm good. I'll probably throw some AT's on, a couple inches of lift and maybe a locker in the future. As long as I remember that I don't have the fronts pulling and pick my trails accordingly, I'll be fine. laugh

#103448 - 28/11/05 10:47 AM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went looking for a 2WD with a tow package. I tow a big street bike (sometimes two)All highway driving. No boat launchings or anything like that,I just didn't see the need to haul around all the extra machinery of a front differential and transfer case if I'm never taking the vehicle off road. I live in the North East and we see our fair share of snow but in all the years I've lived and drove here I got stuck once with a chevy step side pick up. That truck would slip on spit. I also used to be a transmission mechanic and winter was our transfer case season. I've seen guys with 4WD trucks in 4 wheel low on the turnpike in snow storms doing 25 MPH. and I was passing them with my dodge full size van. If you do off road as a sport or a hobby or even for work then I'd say you need 4X4 but if you just need to get from point A to point B the two wheel will do you just fine.

#103449 - 11/12/05 07:57 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hello, I have a 2005 Xterra SE 4X2 and I'm proud of it. smile

#103450 - 15/12/05 10:20 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Several folks have noted "lockers" will help traction. I'm aware of the Powertrax locker and am wondering if these will fit a 2WD 05/06 Xterra with an automatic transmission and factory limited slip. Does anyone know what differential is in that model of Xterra and the # of splines? Has anyone installed a Powertrax in a 2WD 05/06 Xterra? Thanks.

#103451 - 19/12/05 08:45 AM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Senorogue:
Several folks have noted "lockers" will help traction. I'm aware of the Powertrax locker and am wondering if these will fit a 2WD 05/06 Xterra with an automatic transmission and factory limited slip. Does anyone know what differential is in that model of Xterra and the # of splines? Has anyone installed a Powertrax in a 2WD 05/06 Xterra? Thanks.
As of right now there are no aftermarket lockers for the new gen of Xterras. The only one available at the moment is the one from the factory in the OR 4x4.

#103452 - 19/12/05 08:46 AM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by NyGli:
Hello, I have a 2005 Xterra SE 4X2 and I'm proud of it. smile
Welcome to XOC. [Wave]

#103453 - 19/12/05 07:13 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: "lockers"
Does anyone know the manufacturer of the factory electronic locker used on the 05/06 4 x 4 OR Xterra?
I'd prefer a 4 x 2 Xterra, but would like a locking rear differential. Unfortunately, Nissan does not provide the elect. locker on the 4 x 2 OR the way they do on the 4 x 2 Nismo Frontier.
I suppose a conversion to a factory e-locker would be expensive, and am not sure it would fit all models. Anyone know about such a conversion?
I believe the 05/06 Xterras use several differentials: an 8 bolt covered (C200 model) and a 10 bolt covered Dana 44 variant (M 226 model). I think all the axles have splines of 33.
The latest Nissan X brochure claims the axles are Dana on the 6 speed models. I looked at a number of Xterras/differentials today; the 6 speeds had 10 bolts, the autos 8 bolts, including a 4 x 2 OR automatic trans edition. I did not see a 4 x 4 OR.
Other than a factory e-locker coversion, any other ideas for getting a locker on a 4 x 2 05/06 X?
I've heard good and bad about PowerTrax mechanical diffs. (apparently not currently available). Some say they can cause failure of the differential case. Others claim they work great, especially for lighter use. I seek better traction, but do not plan "extreme" use (rock climbs, etc). Comments thereof?
Thanks!

#103454 - 19/12/05 09:53 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Galusha:
Quote:
Originally posted by NyGli:
[b]Hello, I have a 2005 Xterra SE 4X2 and I'm proud of it. smile
Welcome to XOC. [Wave] [/b]
Thanks!!! smile

#103455 - 24/12/05 09:10 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x2offroad:
does nayone in this site actually have a 4x2 or is it just me
Add another 4x2 to the herd... I've rarely had to use the 4WD in the old 4x4, so I figured that a 4x2 would be fine for me... And if it snows, I'll just call in sick (of course, at that point, most of the rest of the world will be covered by glaciers, so I doubt anyone'll notice one less geek at work)... [Smoking]

#103456 - 25/12/05 09:31 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another 4x2 here... 4x4's are impossible to find at dealers down here. That's all I had planned on getting anyway since i've become obsessed with the whole long travel 2wd prerunner thing.

#103457 - 05/01/06 03:06 PM Re: anyone have a 4x2
Anonymous
Unregistered

4X2 here also. although more than not I contimplate the idea of getting rid of my Fronty and getting a 4X4. However, I prefer the old (pre-05') gutless Frontys with the recirculating ball steering and torsion bars than the newer Frontys or X's. Meaning I would have to find a used 04' 4X4, but then I look at my baby and I cant bring myself to getting rid of her. She looks so kick ass and the time and money I have put into it to look like that seems to not let me follow my instict. Although my first instinct when I bought my Fronty was to buy a 4X4 and that quickly changed when I saw the more luxuriously loaded LE 4X2. I was blinded by beauty and plushy leather comfort...Oh well!

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal