Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#103915 - 26/03/02 11:35 PM My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
yellowX Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Since the topic thread made by Todrick is closed and I did not have a chance to put my two pesos worth, here it is...

Like Todrick, I myself own a 2WD Xterra. No offense Todrick, but unlike him, I would not go to places that would cause either difficulty getting through or the chance of getting stuck. However, I applaud Todrick for challenging his Xterra to the limits of what it can and cannot handle and seeing opportunites to overcome.

To the 4WD X owners out there, indeed, my 2WD can never go where it is not suppose to go (e.g. thick mud, deep snow, steep rocky terrain, hilly/sandy desert dunes, out-of-no where places, etc.). That's the realm of the 4WD.
I applaud those 4WD owners in using your Xterra in taking you places that were never reachable to you before.

For me, I know my 2WD is limited. Any AWD SUV will do better than my Xterra on wet or snowy roads, etc. Any 4x4 will always go where I cannot. However, My X is doing what I bought it for and what I wanted it to do:
1) Carry my kayak,
2) Carry my bike,
3) Haul my scuba gear, and
4) Later this year, to carry my camping gear and go to a place that is accessible to my Xterra.

Heck, I even drove to Denver and went snowboarding in Vail earlier this year. It was no picnic going through the snow storm, but it was worth the experience. Patiently, with good Rock n' Roll tunes on the radio, I got there!

While you guys throw snowballs and inflate your muscles and chests at each other, I will be out there somewhere, going where I want and know my truck can go, and have fun doing it.

yellowX
Central TX
:p

#103916 - 27/03/02 06:32 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
electrobuzz Offline

Loc: Denver, Colorado
Amen. Testify, brotha.
Now someone please lock this thread.

#103917 - 27/03/02 07:06 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Metalikat3003 Offline

Loc: Mobile, AL
Why are you trying to start another war?

Im glad you like to ride on the street, but you think Todrick has done stuff with his X? Let me post my pics link:

http://photos.yahoo.com/metalikat3003
(It loads faster when you copy and paste the link)

Click the Xterra Link, I have more pics of a more recent adventure coming soon.

A 2WD can handle alot, not as much as a 4WD, but thats what mods are for.

#103918 - 27/03/02 08:52 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
there is a reason i locked the other thread(s)...

im gonna leave this open FOR NOW... put please guys, play nice.

#103919 - 27/03/02 10:21 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Garddog Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
hell yeah yellow X.

#103920 - 27/03/02 12:25 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
hmacmill Offline

Loc: West Orange, NJ
let me clue you in on something yellowx, nobody cares what you do with your X. these threads are driving me crazy. [Freak]

#103921 - 27/03/02 06:00 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Rockaholic Offline

Loc: Reading, MA
eek Oh, not again [Uh Oh !]
Someone, please, end the suffering....

#103922 - 27/03/02 07:12 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Really, you guys need a club modeled after AA or something. :rolleyes:

1. We admitted we were powerless over un-paved terrain, that our traction had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a 4x4 greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Ian Firth as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fruitless upgrade path of ourselves.

5. Admitted to Ian Firth, to ourselves and to another 4x4 owner the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have Ian Firth remove all these defects of mobility.

7. Humbly asked Him to install our transfer cases.

8. Made a list of all trails we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all for our lack of traction and propensity towards sliding.

9. Made direct amends to 4x4 owners wherever possible, except when to do so would expose our shortcommings to others.

10. Continued to take mechanical inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through tires and lockers to improve our contact patch with dirt as we approached it, praying only for knowledge of 4x4's for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other 4x2 owners and to practice these principles in all our outings.

(cheers, it's just a joke) [Too much XOC]

#103923 - 27/03/02 09:17 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Todrick Offline

i think you screwed that up bro wink here i fixed it for you [Laughing]

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:

1. We admitted we were powerless over what others do with their trucks, that our distain for 2wd's had become unmanageable.

2. Came to realize that idea of having fun in 4x2 was driving us insane.

3. Made a decision to not force our opinions down others throats and treat others like crap as we could never understand.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to Ian Firth and all 2wd owners, that like him we just dont understand and probably never will thus giving us no right to bitch.

6. Were entirely ready to have god remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove these shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all mods we need to make in order to do what we want with the Xterra... and realize that most 2wd owners have a shorter one..

9. Made direct amends to 4x2 owners wherever possible, except when to do so would expose our shortcommings to others.(got this one covered [Finger] )

10. Continued to take enjoyment inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through conversations and open-mindedness to improve our understanding of the term "off-roading", praying only for knowledge of other types of off-roading and the ability to realize those are fun too.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to other egomaniacal 4x4 owners and to practice these principles in all our outings.

(cheers, it's just a joke) [Too much XOC]
sorry man, it had to be done laugh

#103924 - 27/03/02 09:57 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Todrick Offline

at this point the whole subject i pretty laughable... hell in the middle of it last time Ian and I ended up in the chat at the same time and it was all good fun...

i can take some razzing, its when people dont respect my right and assume i want the same things they do, or it turns to outright personal attacks that we run into a bit of a problem

#103925 - 27/03/02 10:00 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Schludwiller Offline

Sorry I think i might have deleted what you responded too. Anyway, all in good fun, glad you took it as such.

#103926 - 27/03/02 10:01 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Schludwiller Offline

I expect and respect as much.

Cheers.

#103927 - 29/03/02 11:57 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
good god men...let it go....drive what u want how u want where u want....4wd, 2wd, big wheel, sit-n-spin who the hell cares!

#103928 - 29/03/02 12:24 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyman:
good god men...let it go....drive what u want how u want where u want....4wd, 2wd, big wheel, sit-n-spin who the hell cares!
I modded my Big Wheel.

I took the seatback off to make it more aerodynamic going down hills.

My Big Wheel can kick your Big Wheel's ass . . . [Finger]

#103929 - 29/03/02 12:51 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
For those of you who don't have kids yet , you are in for a big shock. I started buying toys for my two year old daughter and every single stinking toy out there now talks , makes noise , whisles , crys , hiccups , sings , plays music , burps , pees , shits , farts and requires you to own stock in a battery company .

It's unfuckingbelievable. My wife and I got her a little big wheel thingy for her birthday. The stupid thing takes 6 D batteries , plays 15 different songs , honks and tells you what direction you're turning. I got so fed up with listening to the thing I took the batteries out and told her it was broken.

My brothers think it's funny that toys are so irritating so they purposely get her things that require assembly , make noise and require a small investment in batteries. They brought over a Sit and Spin last weekend. The stupid thing has a light show and 25 songs that play constantly while you spin arround. I'm telling you right now the words "I'm sorry sweety it looks like it's broken and daddy doesn't know how to fix it " aren't far off in my future.

She has perfectly good blocks and those giant little kid legos that sit in the toy box , lonely and unused. They get rejected for the "Sing and Dance With Me While I Drive Your Parents Insane Blue's Clues Doll" and the "I'm Not Going To Shut Up Until My Batteries are Dead Elmo."

What ever happened to regular old toys : Lincoln Logs , Weebles , Erector Sets ? We had cool stuff that took imagination . I know they still have Lincoln Logs but they're plasticy and the wood doesn't splinter. Imagine kids today playing with the origional Erector set. Imagine the Consumer Product Safety Commission approving a toy that consists of very long narrow sharp metal pieces and little tiny screws , nuts and bolts.

Those were the days. (sigh)

#103930 - 29/03/02 01:04 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
GrayHam Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by socalpunX:
What ever happened to regular old toys : Lincoln Logs , Weebles , Erector Sets ? We had cool stuff that took imagination . I know they still have Lincoln Logs but they're plasticy and the wood doesn't splinter. Imagine kids today playing with the origional Erector set. Imagine the Consumer Product Safety Commission approving a toy that consists of very long narrow sharp metal pieces and little tiny screws , nuts and bolts.

Those were the days. (sigh)
Shit!
"Those were the days?" Am I that fucking old!?

I had wood Lincoln Logs.
I had bad-ass Fisher-Price trucks.
I had the big Erector Set.

I never figured out the whole screwdriver-wrench-combo thing. I just used my fingers to tighten everything . . . .
No wonder I (almost) failed Shop in high-school, and I can barely change a lightbulb . . .

#103931 - 29/03/02 07:32 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
catering chef Offline

Loc: Burnsville,MN
What ever happened to kids just going outside to play a game of ball or hide and seek in the yard? What about just going outside to fly a good old fashioned kite?
My son just wants to sit and be amused by me!!! I keep asking him if he wants to go camping and play with the X, maybe climb some hills- take a few pics of the outdoors and he says " you want me to sleep on the ground? with out my playstation?!?"
How do I get him to try 4whee smile lin with me?

#103932 - 30/03/02 06:10 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
monkeyman Offline

Loc: raleigh_nc
Quote:
Originally posted by xterra_canuck:
Quote:
Originally posted by monkeyman:
[b]good god men...let it go....drive what u want how u want where u want....4wd, 2wd, big wheel, sit-n-spin who the hell cares!
I modded my Big Wheel.

I took the seatback off to make it more aerodynamic going down hills.

My Big Wheel can kick your Big Wheel's ass . . . [Finger] [/b]
ah not so fast my friend... you don't know that i've glued a course grit sand paper to my big wheels wheels, hence i have more traction and can go furhter and higher than your seatless wonder ! laugh .....now back to work on the wheel travel issues, hmm

#103933 - 30/03/02 07:15 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Although I'm sick to death of this debate (who cares as long as 4wd owners are happy with their X and 2wd owners are happy with THEIR X)

BUT- what I think 'Ol yellar was saying is that he's out DOING! Which is what I think the Xterra life is all about. Not sitting in front of a monitor typing about doing stuff.

It's Saturday, everyone get out there and give your Xterra some lovin'! laugh

Myself, I'm heading to Page, Az and hiking the slot canyons for 2 days.
Happy Easter! Here's a pic of the slot canyon.

#103934 - 30/03/02 08:16 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
Todrick Offline

Xrock, i still find it ironic that it is called "Slot Canyon" and Britney spears filmed her last video there laugh

any way... thats why i didn't jump in on this in my usual manner, i think everyone is very sick of it and the first post summed it up nicely

#103935 - 23/04/02 02:45 PM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
bjdean16 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Yes, I too have children and I must say that I agree with you. I have several times resorted to the "It broke and daddy can't fix it" route. Then the next time my brother (who like yours buys the toys)comes over he is more than happy to fix them. Now whenever something is not working I heard "Well daddy, uncle David can fix it". Perhaps the toy manufacturors need to take on the X slogan. "Everything you need & nothing you don't"

I also am a 4X2 x owner and have not had the oppurtunity to introduce myself. Just wanted to say hello and that i have learned a lot about my X from the club. laugh

#103936 - 11/05/02 11:50 AM Re: My two pesos on this 2WD vs. 4WD debate
XROCK Offline

Loc: Prescott, Az
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
Xrock, i still find it ironic that it is called "Slot Canyon" and Britney spears filmed her last video there laugh
I'm SO glad I don't watch Mtv anymore! I would have hated to see her ruining the natural beauty.

(well, unless of course she was topless!)

Moderator:  socalpunx 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal