Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#104853 - 29/08/01 08:53 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by X_Jeeper:

Once you engage the hub, by getting out and turning the hub to the "locked" position. The hub (tire and front axles) will be locked together. Then when you want 4x4 mode, just drop your xfer case lever to 4-hi (or stop and drop into 4-lo) when you want.

Thanks...

#104854 - 29/08/01 04:43 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Loc: Calgary, Alberta Canada
Quote:
Originally posted by X_Jeeper:

Once you engage the hub, by getting out and turning the hub to the "locked" position. The hub (tire and front axles) will be locked together. Then when you want 4x4 mode, just drop your xfer case lever to 4-hi (or stop and drop into 4-lo) when you want.

You can drive around like this though as OffroadX mentioned, you will be turning the axles and creating more rolling resistance.

To unlock, just turn the hub to the "free" or "unlock" position. No backing up.

Close but no cigar. Inside the hub there are 2 sets of gears that have to mesh before hubs are locked to the axle. Turning the dial forces a spring against one of the gears. Then, if the gears are meshed, the hubs are locked to the axle. If the gears are not meshed it'll take a little movement of the wheel before gears align, mesh and hub locks to axle. With 31 splines it doesn't take much, just push on the hatch.

#104855 - 30/08/01 05:52 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
X_Jeeper Offline

Loc: Averill Park, NY
Quote:
Originally posted by IggyB:

Close but no cigar.

So, I'm like, 1/16" off. Damn.

#104856 - 30/08/01 06:36 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Anyone replaced the studs supplied with the Warn hubs with bolts ?

Supplied studs are just a bit short. I picked up some 40 mm long bolts and will put them one some day.

#104857 - 30/08/01 07:18 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Synchro Offline

Loc: The booth on the left
Quote:
Anyone replaced the studs supplied with the Warn hubs with bolts ?

Supplied studs are just a bit short. I picked up some 40 mm long bolts and will put them one some day.

i haven't found them to be short at all. had no problems with them except one of them coming out, but Warn replaced it for free for me.

#104858 - 30/08/01 11:40 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Close but no cigar. Inside the hub there are 2 sets of gears that have to mesh before hubs are locked to the axle.

Gears ?

They're splines, not gears.
Gears turn in relation to one another, splines lock together.

No cigar for you !

#104859 - 30/08/01 05:27 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Gears ? Splines ?

I do instrumentation not mechanical engineering.

But you are right. Probably. As usual.

#104860 - 31/08/01 06:22 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Originally posted by GordP:

[*]Warn pricing ~$125

-GordP

Elias 4WD will sell them for $115... and free shipping on winches (good prices). He's trying to stock more Xterra stuff (skid row, warn hubs, Interco Tires, etc. He might offer more discounts for XOC members.

#104861 - 31/08/01 08:39 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Ian!

Just checked with the mechanical engineers at work.

You were, of course, right. They are splines.

#104862 - 04/09/01 09:17 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
chick-truck Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
1) X hubs
Both autos and manuals are made by Warn.

2) F350 hubs
New super-duty hubs also made by Warn. They use pulse-vacuum technology to engage and disengage. Basically an auto hub that engages instantly and you don't need to back up to disengage. You can also manually engage like regular hub. Pulse vacuum system is integral with entire 4wd system and is not retrofitable

3) cheap hubs
All Warn external mount hubs (like Xterra uses) are basically the same. Hub body, clutch ring and inner drive gear. If a guy found a set of cheap external mount hubs off say a CJ or Toyota and replaced the IDG with one of the proper spline count... Voila!

4) Warn vs. Mile Marker and S-Winch
S-winch hubs are made by Mile Marker. Call Mile Marker and ask them which 3rd world country their hubs are being made in this week.

5) Hub Studs
A very good thing. Much more resistant to loosening than bolts. Use them. Always a good idea to check hub hardware frequently. Think every oil change.

6) Warn Premium vs. OEM Nissan hubs
OE hubs are smaller and built to tighter tolerances. Aftermarket hubs use larger clutch ring and IDG. Your choice. Both will never break with the power they will see from even a blown, locked up Xterra on 33's.

Hope this helps someone.

#104863 - 04/09/01 02:02 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
Originally posted by chick-truck:
2) F350 hubs
New super-duty hubs also made by Warn. They use pulse-vacuum technology to engage and disengage. Basically an auto hub that engages instantly and you don't need to back up to disengage. You can also manually engage like regular hub. Pulse vacuum system is integral with entire 4wd system and is not retrofitable

I had these on my old Chevy S-10. But I didn't have the option of using them manually. The only problem I experienced was the vacuum system wasn't all that reliable. All of a sudden you'd have no 4wd and not know why. There's no sound or anything that happens to indicate the system stopped working. I think GM still uses this system. I just wasn't all that thrilled with it.

#104864 - 04/09/01 02:50 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
chick-truck Offline

Hey Cygnus-

Actually, the Pulse Vacuum on the Super-Duties is new technology unique to that truck. Definitely not the same as the old S-10. The cool part is that if vacuum is lost, the hubs can still work.

I am not sure what your Chevy had. Some Chevy full-sized trucks (up to '97 or so)had a four wheel drive system that was engaged by way of an element that heated up and engaged a shaft. The problem was in cold conditions the element took forever to heat. Serious POS.

Some trucks, like new Jeep and new Dodge use a center disconnect system on the front axle. This uses vacuum or an electric actuator to slide a collar over the split axle shaft and engage the front-end. Maybe that was it.

Did your S-10 really have true disconnecting wheelhubs or was it some sort of center disconnect system?

Just curious.

#104865 - 04/09/01 04:41 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Do you work for Warn or something ?

The old S-10 had a center disconnect system. Vacuum operated sleeve locked right axleshaft to the diff. There are no hubs as such, they're always rotating. I have an S-10 in the driveway.

If the stock X hubs are made by Warn, what's the number for them ?

Whay are studs better than bolts ? Why don't they back out or loosen ?

Since you seem to be a fountain of information please explain.

Thanks.

#104866 - 05/09/01 05:53 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Quote:
.Vacuum operated sleeve locked right axleshaft to the diff. There are no hubs as such, they're always rotating.

Iggy is right, vacuuum sleeve locked the axleshaft, so no hubs. I hated this set-up.
Does GM still use this? The same friggin wheels are on late model trucks as back in the early 90's (i.e. no hubs) so I'm guessing they still use the same set-up????

#104867 - 06/09/01 08:13 AM Re: Manual Hub Locks
chick-truck Offline

Hi Iggy

Yes, but I only speak here as the average idiot, not a company rep.

I don't know part number for OE right off. I don't even know if they are available for public sale.

A guy could call Warn at 1.800.543.9276 and find out. Maybe ask for the Nissan OEM group or something like that.

On hub studs. I'm not an engineer, so I can't tell you WHY it works, but it does. Kind of like the microwave. I'm sure one of Warn's customer service folks or an engineer on this board could help us.

No sure what up with new Chevy Silverados. I am pretty sure it is Center-D, but I haven't crawled around under one recently.

Take care guys.

#104868 - 06/09/01 04:15 PM Re: Manual Hub Locks
IggyB Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by chick-truck:
Hi Iggy

On hub studs. I'm not an engineer, so I can't tell you WHY it works, but it does. Kind of like the microwave. I'm sure one of Warn's customer service folks or an engineer on this board could help us.

Take care guys.

Thanks.

I bought bolts for my hubs and will replace the studs some day. Unless someone can give me a justified reason not to.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal