2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#105263 - 23/08/07 06:49 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by fog:
Is the actual lift really a concern when it crosses up like that?

Nice work Allen smile
Actually it is a concern since I am going spring over and it would be helpful to know what Allen used to get the lift and flex that he has (for the rear at least).

So yeah, it would be a concern to some. Sick ass truck Allen. Can't wait to see where you go with the beast now.

#105264 - 23/08/07 06:56 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
[ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [drink]

#105265 - 24/08/07 06:55 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, the rear springs are a mismatch of crap that I had laying around. When I'm all done with everything, then I'll have some Alcan's made up for the final pack.

As it sit's now, the top leaf is the stock X leaf, then a Chevy 1/2 ton leaf, then an add-a-leaf for a Titan, then another Chevy 1/2 tonner (with the spring keeper on it).

I'd like to still go up another 1" or so, but can't due to not having a SYE yet. I'd still like to get that and gears for the t-case. Winter project stuff. I'll wheel her like it is now.

I'll measure for the lift probably tonight. It's something that I wasn't really concerned much about, just needed it to function, sit level'ish, and be reliable.

#105266 - 24/08/07 08:09 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a similar set up with my X. Stock leafs plus calmini AAL from before and added some leafs. But feels too stiff now. You don't have that problem? Doesn't effect your travel? I'm good up front but got to figure this rear out!

#105267 - 24/08/07 08:13 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is a few pics to give ya an idea i'm going> it not done yet but close...

#105268 - 24/08/07 08:21 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Al I have said it again and again that thing is awesome and so much fun to ride in!!!! laugh

#105269 - 15/04/08 07:53 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dredging up an old thread....

Cyclemut, how are you liking the stock wag leaves in front? Too soft? My X still has all the glass in it, so it's a bit heavier, but most of that is to the rear. I've got most of my parts accumulated and am doing another leaf SAS, but this one will be spring over if I can use the stock wag springs.

I was also thinking about adding another leaf to the packs. Just curious about your thoughts after having wheeled with yours for a while now.

#105270 - 18/04/08 06:01 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

I like them. I angled the rear shackle back quite a bit, causing them to be perfectly flat static. If I had to do it again, I'd move the front axle ahead at least 1", and put a leaf in like you're talking.

The problem is that the rear end is going to max out quickly without a double cardan and repositioning the rear crossmember to allow for any more droop in the rear.

So it's a toss up to put in the extra leaf up front. But I'd definately move the front axle forward a minimum of 1" from the normal pin position of the stock waggy spring.

But they do flex! laugh

Have you seen the latest edition of the Nissan Sport Magazine? One heck of a droop picture from Left Hand Canyon/Carnage in Boulder.

#105271 - 21/04/08 06:04 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll have to check that out.

I'm using the HB xmember and the Calmini shackles too. I'm wondering if you could snap couple pics from the side when you get a chance just so I can look at your placement of each. I expect it'll be a little different than my frontier, which is currently SUA. I think the extra leaf is in order to stiffen it up, else my wife will be scared to drive it, and it's her wheeling truck.

I know what you mean on the DS clearance on the Xmember. I just put a set of Alcan rear springs in my Frontier and have less than 1/2" clearance now between the shaft and Xmember. I'll be notching and putting a limit strap in the center off the diff to keep it from hitting. Those springs should flex madly though.

#105272 - 25/04/08 10:10 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Desert_Rat:
I'll have to check that out.

I'm using the HB xmember and the Calmini shackles too.
Will the Calmini hb xmember bolt up to the Xterra?

#105273 - 28/04/08 07:34 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cgvalant:
Will the Calmini hb xmember bolt up to the Xterra?
Welds..

#105274 - 28/04/08 07:59 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by cgvalant:
Quote:
[b]I'll have to check that out.

I'm using the HB xmember and the Calmini shackles too.
Will the Calmini hb xmember bolt up to the Xterra?[/b]
Get richard to fab you up one of his, his is bolt on

#105275 - 28/04/08 09:21 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

To clarify, I'm using the calmini Xterra crossmember for the transmission, and the Calmini Hardbody front spring hanger - that welds on. It'll be just about exactly what Cyclemut has, suspension-wise.

#105276 - 28/04/08 10:41 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Powerguy38 Offline

Loc: Greensburg, PA
What are you using for a sway bar up front?

#105277 - 28/04/08 11:16 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Powerguy38:
What are you using for a sway bar up front?
What's a swaybar?

#105278 - 28/04/08 11:54 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Powerguy38 Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ChefTyler:
Quote:
Originally posted by Powerguy38:
[b]What are you using for a sway bar up front?
What's a swaybar?[/b]
You know, the little metal thingy that goes on the front that keeps this from happening when someone cuts you off at speed on the highway.

#105279 - 28/04/08 12:35 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

for one thing, mine wont be that tall. My Frontier has been SAS'd for over 4 years now and has no real stability issues. It also has a full exo cage smile

I'll run a bit stiffer spring in front to compensate. Also, in a modded rig like this, you just have to drive extra defensively knowing you no longer have a vehicle with stock handling.

#105280 - 28/04/08 12:41 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Powerguy38 Offline

Mine won't be that tall either. I alrady drive like that now. I know how it handled before when I took the sway bar off. It was little tipsy.

I know Barry modified one I think to fit on an X or Pathy. I'll see if I can find the info on that.

#105281 - 28/04/08 03:07 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

That circumstances that lead to that picture have been discussed enough as is, so I'll leave that be.

However, I'm running a spring rate close to what Cyclemut is (albeit, I'm running old school coils and shocks vs. leaf springs) and it's a bit tipsy. I don't DD it though and rarely drive more than an hour and a half to get to a trail. I seem to be doing alright without a sway bar, especially when I see what has happened to a few Calmini sway bars.

#105282 - 28/04/08 06:21 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
That circumstances that lead to that picture have been discussed enough as is, so I'll leave that be.
I never questioned it, and I don't know the circumstances.

With regard to spring rate, yeah, cyclemut's looks a little soft to be a good highway vehicle. Mine will be stiffer. I'm going to play with different setups, but what I have in mind is a stock wag front pack with 1-2 extra fairly flat leaves - not much more arch, but definitely stiffer. The SUA setup on my pickup using the 4" rough country lift springs is pretty stiff, and the truck has less body roll than it did with IFS.

#105283 - 28/04/08 06:36 PM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Quote:
[b]That circumstances that lead to that picture have been discussed enough as is, so I'll leave that be.
I never questioned it, and I don't know the circumstances.

With regard to spring rate, yeah, cyclemut's looks a little soft to be a good highway vehicle. Mine will be stiffer. I'm going to play with different setups, but what I have in mind is a stock wag front pack with 1-2 extra fairly flat leaves - not much more arch, but definitely stiffer. The SUA setup on my pickup using the 4" rough country lift springs is pretty stiff, and the truck has less body roll than it did with IFS.[/b]
[ThumbsUp]

#105284 - 29/04/08 08:09 AM Re: Leaf SAS almost done
Powerguy38 Offline

Until I buy something else mine will be my DD as well.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal