Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#107409 - 19/10/01 03:52 PM Re: Which lift first
XOC Offline
Admin

Loc: Minneapolis, MN
Quote:
Originally posted by Philosopher:
I'm just saying that I don't have rubbing problems, and haven't for as long as I can remember ...

Drive it harder. You should be able to pluck the little snap grommets off the plastic wheel well insert with the tires under full compression.

My ARB has also cut the outside lugs of the tire half an inch deep. Need to modify that bumper.

#107410 - 19/10/01 05:46 PM Re: Which lift first
stormy Offline

Loc: NH
Quote:
Can you do one without the other?
What would just a shackle cost me and more importantly what would it buy me in clearance?

Yes, I would go with an aal = 3" but a shackle is a bit easier to install. You're looking at about $50-$60 for ether part. CHEAP STUFF!

Quote:
well, there is a lot of water on the Class-VI's near my house, I'd like to get the X up out of that water as much as possible. And I must admit I rather like the look of a lifted-X..

Then you want a suspension lift. A body lift will only bring the body up higher, not the engine etc..

#107411 - 19/10/01 08:09 PM Re: Which lift first
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
My advice after having both the shackles and the AAL, is to use the AAL first. It gives you better response from the rear leafs, while the shackles tend to just flatten what arc you have left in your leafs. Both cost the same, but it's really not that hard to install the AAL. Then if you raise the front end you can always add shackles later, or get a new spring pack to even things out.

#107412 - 19/10/01 10:13 PM Re: Which lift first
XOC Offline
Admin

Since we're all offering advice, I recommend saving up until you can buy a complete lift kit from a single manufacturer, instead of hobbling something together.

#107413 - 20/10/01 04:33 AM Re: Which lift first
DGX Factor Offline

Loc: Denver, CO
Good advice Ian, thats my plan....
Also as far as the rubbing issue, I have 265 75 16s and havent had any rubbing if that helps and of course no t-bar cranking

#107414 - 20/10/01 06:35 AM Re: Which lift first
Schludwiller Offline

Loc: Redmond,WA
Quote:
Originally posted by xoc:
Since we're all offering advice, I recommend saving up until you can buy a complete lift kit from a single manufacturer, instead of hobbling something together.

Or start a web site and get the lift for free. laugh That's a lot of cash for most people. While it would be nice to put in a whole lift kit at once, I've learned alot about each compenent and what difference it makes by going piecemeal. Eventually I'll have a whole SLR kit in, but going in steps makes it easier on the pocketbook, and I'm getting immediate performance gains instead of driving a stocker for a year+ untill I have cash.

Anyway, just another opinion.

#107415 - 20/10/01 01:24 PM Re: Which lift first
XOC Offline
Admin

Quote:
Originally posted by Schludwiller:
That's a lot of cash for most people.

Not really.

Raise your hand if you bought an ARB bull bar and some lights, or a big stereo.

For that price you could have an entire lift kit from several manufacturers.

#107416 - 20/10/01 04:26 PM Re: Which lift first
Big Daddy Chia Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
I spent 500 on a Stereo. that was speakers, sub and amp. The only reason i have no lift yet is because i am trying to get myself out of debt.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal