2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 139 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#121408 - 04/11/04 05:33 PM Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

Loc: Frisco, Tx
All -

People have been asking lots of questions, and I thought it may be worth consolidating all of the PMs and various posts into one thread.

Roger/Abiel... What are the specific dates for this trip?

And now.... the various messages in one...
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121409 - 04/11/04 05:34 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

From Abiel...

Hi...

Roger just replied. Perla and I will leave Monterrey tomorrow morning heading Waco, Tx.

BTW, we are planning our annual donation trip, 11-12 december. After that, we are going to have some fun at Real de Catorce, to come back december 14... We´ll be glad if you guys join us in this trip...we can discuss this at Barnwell
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121410 - 04/11/04 05:35 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

From Roger...

If you guys can make it... you will not be dissapointed!

We can discuss this weekend but the trip is the BEST!!!! and a great selfless trip and a good learning experience.

If you can get the time you really need to try and make it... even if shotgun
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121411 - 04/11/04 05:41 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

From me...

One thing is for sure. You will not be staying in hotels. The villages you will be going to are VERY primative, some had no electricity, much less a hotel. You will be bunking in your truck or a tent.

Gas was several tanks down, plus a spare jerry can in case you run out in the mountains. Food wise, I survived on a few granola bars, a few small bags of chips, and gatorade for the entire weekend. Unless you want to use the 'outhouses' they have in the villages, I would suggest low-yield foods.

I would seriously suggest at least $200 in mixed US/pesos - the tollway fee was killer, plus the fee to get a 'visa' for your truck to Mehico, plus a good, WARM sleeping bag, and a good high altitude parka: wind proof and warm. Don't forget your passport, a cooler of food - there are no stores in them thar mountains -, WATER and anything you need to live with no resupply for 2-3 days.

Coordinate with whoever elese goes so you do not double up on things like stoves to cook on and what not. Most of all, after you remember to load all of your things, keep room for household goods (clothes, blankets, pots, pans, toys, but not D.O. or toothpaste - seriously) as that is your primary reason for going in the first place.

Oh, if you have room, and it is not expensive, a treasured item is aluminum siding, or whatever it is you build redneck sheds out of. The men will 'kill' (<-- use that term loosly) for it. It is far superior to anything they use to build house walls.

s

Responding to PMs...

On one hand, you don't HAVE to take anything. On the other hand, it is a donation trip, so what is the point if you do not? The guys in Mexico you go with will have, literally, their trunks/beds FULL plus racks on the top, front and back of their trucks full too. Roger had his trunk FULL, and put his personal stuff in the spaces between and on top of his rig.

But, no one will rag on you if you do not fill up, just make sure you have something ya know?

What do they want? Remember this is a poverty stricken, and remote area, you are going to, so board games are out. Stuffed animals, balls -soccer, bouncy -, blankets, coats and old clothes for men, women and down to babies are the main things. D.O. and toothpaste are not needed, seriously, because they do not use em. Old shoes are good too.

The trip was a moving experience for me. Take it all in, it can be deep reflecting on what you see.

s

First, the trip is worth it, definatley.

Second, trailer... Tough call. You would have no way to secure the stuff on it for when you are driving through the big towns like Monterey and what not; for gas and all. The main thing would be getting it across the border without incident, and then can it stand driving at 70 for 12 hours, then handle being on somewhat rough dirt roads for up to 8 hours at a stretch? Your call on that one.

Did you happen to talk to Abiel at Barnwell about this trip? He is the one who sponsors the trip, and put it all together...

s
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121412 - 04/11/04 06:04 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I need more information
1 when do you leave dallas when do you come back?
2 how much money would you suggest
3 do you need a 4x4 to do this trip?
I am very interested in this please let me know
thanks lance

#121413 - 05/11/04 05:11 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
1. I am looking for Donations and if you get any I will come and pick them up if you can't go.

2. A trailer is not practical as some guys tried it and ended up lifying it onto a truck bed. The trails can be real rough you have to have a 4X4. I don't even want to take my Titan because it could be a PIA.

3. It's a long drive and can wear you out and take away from the fun. I want to cross the border on Friday the 10th. I plan on being south of SA on Thursday night maybe even Laredo.

4. If you don't have the Mexico Registration sticker and a visa it can take a while at the border that is why I want to cross Friday.

5. The locals meet early Sat morning the 11th in Monterey and head to the mountains. That is an all day Sat drive and maybe we hit one village before camping.

6. The second day we hit villages all day and hand out the donations. You would really enjoy this.

7. We plan on leaving Sunday after last village for Rel De Cortece and small but bit modernized town. The movie "The Mexican" with Brad Pitt was filmed there. We can eat, sleep and cleanup there. The people are fabulous.

8. From the town we can go up the mountain (technical trails) to the Ghost Towns. Then go south to the Silver mines and Dry river beds of the desert. I would like to camp in a Ghost Town smile

9. Tuesday we will head back. It's a long drive but could / can be made in a 12-14 hour drive. I usually stop across the border for a nights rest but I am an "Old Fart" smile

10. If you ever wanted to get off the beaten path in Mexico and have a fun and safe time than this is a trip for you. Get some donations and come along!!!!

#121414 - 05/11/04 05:28 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
xterraintx Offline

At the border:

1. If you don't have the title you will need a letter from your bank stateing it is OK for you to take truck into Mexico.

2. You will need insurance in Mexico for the duration. I buy mine for the exact days I will be there and it's usually about $40.00

3. You have to pay a Visa / travel fee. If I remember correct it's $20.00 but may only be $10.00

4. You need a passport or Drivers license is OK with Birth Certificate.

5. For the vehicle registration they require a $400.00 deposit. You will need registration and proof of insurance. They will swipe a credit card as a deposit. If we return via another crossing and don't report they will charge you. We never have an issue.

6. Spending money is your deal. I don't believe I have ever used more than two fillups on their side. Larger stations we can use CC. You should have Pesos but they take US dollars too. I think $100 in each currency is plenty. Maybe if you are a shopper bring more.

7. I plan on a hotel at least one night but rooms can be shared and not real expensive where I stay wink

8. We need normal warm camping gear and food. It's easier crossing back with none left. I give my leftovers to the villagers.

9. I have never needed for anything in my trips beyond more Pesos and I just borrow or trade them for US if needed.

10. We can run close to no stations in range so I suggest a full spare can on top. If we get away from government owned gas you may want octane booster but I have never needed it.

CALL or Email me if you can / want to attend or may help with donations!

#121415 - 05/11/04 05:58 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Loc: Monterrey, M�xico
Hi guys...

Scott, thank you for open this thread to discuss Mexico 'Donation' Trip...

As you can notice, Roger it´s the authority in this trips, so follow his advice wink

Just a note in the vehicles to make this trip, last year we had a recent model 4x2 Explorer, but the driver didn´t have that much fun if he would had his 4x4 in this trip smile .

A 4x2 SUV or Pick up will make this trip pretty well. If we have rain, driving will be more tricky, but we´ll have support from other people/vehicles.

Regarding Real de Catorce, you´ll really need a 4x4 to have all the fun there.

I´ll gladly reply all your answers about this trip.

Thank you all for your support to this cause, we´ll be glad to see you down here.

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121416 - 05/11/04 06:48 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

FWIW Here are some shots from the last trip. Gives you a little idea of what you will experience...

SET 1

SET 2
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121417 - 05/11/04 07:54 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Almost a year now... nice pics Scott...

More Pics

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121418 - 05/11/04 11:05 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay guys Justin and I really want to do this trip and from what Justin is telling me some people he knows might be willing to make some donations for us to take. I am really unsure if chase bank is going to give me a letter stating it is ok for my to take my truck to mexico even though it's almost paid off.

Now if I get laid off on the 17th of December I will have the time off to go on the trip and will proably be doing the trip. If I don't get laid off I might take the time off since it is a charity event I doubt my work would mind. (the chances of me getting laid off are 99%).

Would I be better off to just get a passport? I am going to go ahead and call the bank and see if I they will give me the leter.

#121419 - 05/11/04 11:14 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well the letter from the bank is done, they will be mailing me the 'transport letter' with mine and my mom's legal name on it within 3 business days. The letter says my bank is allowing my vehicle to be in mexico for 30 days starting decebmer 9th

#121420 - 05/11/04 12:50 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
xterraintx Offline

Keith, way to go!!!!

A passport is not necessary if you only plan this trip. I travel a bit so I need mine. It does make it less of a hassel if you have one.

Remember the donations will all be very welcomed from the smallest toy to big construction items.

I look forward to others comeing from the good Ole USA.

Nobody will be dissapointed if they can come!

#121421 - 05/11/04 12:55 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Would love to go but don't think I could fund it frown

I can however donate some stuff. If someone wants to email me at jasunf@satx.rr.com either roger, abiel, or scott to discuss what I can donate and how to get it to you all that would be great smile Least I can do a little something.

#121422 - 05/11/04 02:59 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

One of the guys at work is getting his passport made. He told me what is needed so I might go ahead and try to get one, but it's unsure if it will be here in time. There will probably be another time in my life when I will use it.

Like the Arizona Runs I have a feeling this could be a life changing event and provide me with an advantage few people have...so I am really working on going.

One thing I am confused about, they can charge a credit card for a $400 deposit when you cross and deduct it when you return, or they only charge the card if you don't return?? please explain abiel or Roger?

#121423 - 05/11/04 06:48 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

You get the $400 debited (ie reverse credited) to your card upon returning to the US. Basically it is an 'import fee' returned to you when you leave the country. They don't want cars brought in for nothing if the vehicle is not intended to leave.
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121424 - 06/11/04 02:04 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Roger told me that they never had charged his CC, may be he can explain more about this.

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121425 - 06/11/04 03:05 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

He never got charged cause he came back to the US. smile
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121426 - 08/11/04 01:17 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have the time off...

so they keep your CC number on record and as long as you come back they don't charge after X amount of days, I guess?!?!?!

#121427 - 08/11/04 01:38 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by System-f:
I have the time off...
Cool!! [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp] [ThumbsUp]

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121428 - 08/11/04 02:08 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Roger - what's the word on your co-pilot? laugh

#121429 - 09/11/04 03:47 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
xterraintx Offline

Jason, sorry I have been busy. She can not go so it's open for you if you want it!!!

Just let me know and it's yours.

Now go get some donations wink

#121430 - 09/11/04 10:55 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

acceptable donations?

Hammers, nails, pliers, (assuming any manual common tool?) What kind of toys? stuffed animals? ??? Pots and Pans of any kind?

#121431 - 09/11/04 12:18 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

Guys/Gals...

Don't try and overthink what you need to take. These people live in abject (?) poverty. ALL types of pots and pans. If you feel the urge to buy anodized aluminum go for it, but whatever will work. What types of toys? Again don't overanalyze here. Just bring what you think kids who have zero education would want to play with. Take stuffed animals if ya want, take balls if ya want. This ain't rocket science; it is just helping those in need. smile

s
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121432 - 09/11/04 12:47 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
sounds like they could use some canned foods maybe?

#121433 - 09/11/04 03:26 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Scott is right...

Hope this help:

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121434 - 09/11/04 03:29 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

it's hard to believe, but a picture does give me a better idea.... now it should be much easier to find stuff..

#121435 - 13/11/04 06:01 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

How many years have ya'll been doing the donation trip?

#121436 - 14/11/04 05:45 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
xterraintx Offline

Abiel will chime in on the history but this will be my third I think. I will do it as long as they do. It's a good experience that does a lot of good.
I used to be pretty involved at Christmas time here in the states with the needy during the holidays. I have had many gratifying experiences but also had a lot of "just give me it" experiences.
This trip eveyone is very needy and overly joyous at receiving any items no matter what it is. They actually deserve our help and appreciate it. Abiel, and the crew in Mexico deserve a lot more respect and support for what they do. We should only be as giving as they are!!!

#121437 - 14/11/04 06:37 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Donation Trippers! I know we can't make this trip but I do have some donations to give. I have kids clothes and toys amany. Plus this will teach my children the thought of giving can be much more rewarding than receiving. Just let me know where I should bring this stuff or who wants to pick it up.

Britta

#121438 - 14/11/04 07:57 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

If you can get it to me before the 20th of November, I can take it to Roger's house for the BBQ.

We just need to pick a time and place to meet...
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121439 - 15/11/04 04:22 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I might just make a road trip on the 20th to Waco. Rob is out of town, the kids have nothing on the calendar and I've made it to Austin in 2 1/2 hours in the Taurus. I wonder what it will take in the X to Waco. So instead of a pick up time and point, I will just drop off the stuff at the BBQ. I will need the -R- address so my streets and trips can do the work for me. Any problems with all of this just let me know..

#121440 - 15/11/04 04:28 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry me again. Those www. stickers, I will take four of them (white). I can pick them up when I am dropping off the stuff at -R-.

Britta

#121441 - 15/11/04 11:42 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have already come across quite a few men's clothes (blue jeans, more rugged stuff) and childrens clothes. Justin is riding shotgun with me and maybe Regan.

#121442 - 15/11/04 12:46 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Athena:
How many years have ya'll been doing the donation trip?
December 2002

April 2003 (Children´s day)

December 2003

Since 2002 we have been visiting south of our State. Now, this december a new group of off-road enthusiasts are going to visit north communities smile

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121443 - 15/11/04 12:54 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by System-f:
I have already come across quite a few men's clothes (blue jeans, more rugged stuff) and childrens clothes. Justin is riding shotgun with me and maybe Regan.
Keith, we have found that making packages of clothes helps to have a fast delivery at communities. I mean: a package can be made of 2 jeans, a shirt, socks, etc. for the same guy (same size).

The content of each package depends on the quantity of clothes is available.

We can deliver the rest of goods individually (kitchen gear, canned food, blankets).

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121444 - 15/11/04 03:32 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I will package them together when I wash them..

#121445 - 24/11/04 07:27 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

We just appeared in a local TV news show to promote this donation trip smile

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121446 - 24/11/04 03:58 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Ramstein92 Offline

You got a clip of the video?
SWXC Member #61
Stop plate tectonics!

#121447 - 24/11/04 08:21 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Not yet, I´ll post it here when its done. [ThumbsUp]

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121448 - 29/11/04 01:42 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
xterraintx Offline

OK, I have the "ShotGun" seat available again for this trip.

Call or email me if you can / want to go.

#121449 - 02/12/04 08:20 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

Roger, I already have your brews, please let me know how much your ShotGun drink in order to have enough brews for you both... smile

And yes, I know Keith likes Tequila

Abiel
www.abielg.com

#121450 - 03/12/04 10:44 AM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am in Fort Worth and can pick it up since I am going. email me directions at keith.maddox@texasnissantrucks.com. I work over in Dallas and get off work at 9pm tonight, work number is 214 951 4179

#121451 - 17/12/04 01:33 PM Re: Mexico 'Donation' Trip
chupasierras Offline

I want to thank all of you who donated for the people we visited last weekend, at the south of the state of Nuevo León, México.

Keith´s and Roger´s trucks were full of goods, goods that were delivered to needy people who live at places with not so much options to survive, so they are always thakfull with those who share anything with them.

We, here at Monterrey, don´t want to be used to have Roger and others among us every year. Roger its the Gringo Loco who has been with me and others since we began this back in 2002. Roger has attended:

2002 December Run
2003 April Run (children´s day)
2003 December Run
& 2004 December Run ... and he said he´s ready for the next run, and Keith too smile

I think Roger its the only one (besides me) who have attended all the runs organized by us here in Monterrey, so, as I said before, we don´t want to be used to have Roger and friends without give them a warm "Thank You"... smile we know that be down here takes a big effort to you...

Well, be sure that friends as you all will always be welcomed to visit us, to have some beers and, of course, to wheel too... smile

The pics, you know are HERE

Abiel
www.abielg.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal