2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#124095 - 29/09/03 07:10 PM Galveston ?'s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thought I'd ask you Houston-area folks for your advice. Amy and I will be in Galveston the weekend of Oct 18 for our 5 year anniversary. I am looking for a nicer restaurant we can blow $100+ for dinner. We eat just about anything, but seafood and eclectic are our favorites. Any suggestions?

#124096 - 30/09/03 07:01 PM Re: Galveston ?'s
rxb0053 Offline

Loc: Houston, TX
Fish Tales is not too bad, if you sit on second floor it a pretty nice view of the gulf.

#124097 - 30/09/03 08:35 PM Re: Galveston ?'s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Cool, thanks.

I'm not looking for "not too bad", though. I want something that knocks my socks off. My company just gave me a $100 certificate to the restaurant of my choice for my 5-year service award, and I want to make it count. Any other suggestions?

#124098 - 30/09/03 09:36 PM Re: Galveston ?'s
p.i.n.o. Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
I can't think of any really "nice" restaurants in Galveston. The only decent place I can think of is Landry's and Fish Tales, but neither of these will "knock your socks off."

Would driving into the Houston area be a possible option?

#124099 - 30/09/03 09:58 PM Re: Galveston ?'s
mineralblue Offline

Loc: Downtown Houston, TX
The problem you will find with Galveston is that there's lots of good food to be had (and you can easily spend $100 on lots of seafood), just not fancy schmancy like you might find in Houston.... it's a beach/port town...

If you really are insisting on finding the top rated restaurants, I'd try citysearch.com and look up galveston there. They might point you in the direction of what you're looking for... I'm with Pino though.. if you're looking for posh, then you probably want to head to Houston if you can... otherwise, I'd kick back with a couple of appetizers, lobsters, and desserts, and feast!

Happy Anniversary! [Wave]

#124100 - 30/09/03 10:59 PM Re: Galveston ?'s
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
Check out Guido's, it's been a while since we've been there, but it was really good at one time. The problem is most restaurants these days are part of the chain, it's difficult to find a great local resturant. Why eat a Landry's in Galveston, when you can eat at Landry's in Dallas (or Houston .....).
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#124101 - 01/10/03 07:30 AM Re: Galveston ?'s
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks, ya'll. We're not "posh" people, so the whole atmosphere doesn't really matter as long as there's food. I'd rather eat $100 of McRibs than have to drive into Houston to eat, so I'll check out what's on the island. I just didn't know if anyone knew of some secret place.

Robert, I'll look into Guido's. I think I read something about them on a local guide site, and it is still supposed to be good.

Thanks again!

#124102 - 01/10/03 07:57 AM Re: Galveston ?'s
daventx Offline

Loc: Midtown Houston, Texas
i would go here. www.citysearch.com and select Galv or Houston.
I would almost say i might be worth it to drive up to Kemah.

#124103 - 01/10/03 08:38 AM Re: Galveston ?'s
Ghugrim Offline

Loc: Sugar Land, Texas
pino i just moved from downtown and purchased a house in sugar lang right near the mall off hwy 6 Frost Pass / Lakefield. Is there any trails in that region ?

#124104 - 01/10/03 08:45 AM Re: Galveston ?'s
RReuscher Offline
Tyrannt

Loc: Carrollton, TX
The problem with Kemah (at least the boardwalk) is ALL the restaurants are part of the Landry's chain. The boardwalk is actually owned by Landry's. Don't get me wrong, I like Landry's restaurants, but I can go to them here. When we are in different towns I like to find something local to that town.
Carrollton RACES/ARES #4007/A07

#124105 - 01/10/03 08:55 AM Re: Galveston ?'s
TravelingFool Offline

Loc: Prior Lake, MN
Hands down, go to Gaido's. You can't miss it, its on the seawall and there's a giant blue crab on the roof.

It's family owned, chef prepared, and EXCELLENT as far as quality and service. There's a lot of history behind it also, the lobby doubles as a museum of artifacts representative of Galveston's early history as a gambling town.

Its a romantic place to have an excellent dinner, you won't be dissapointed. Its still one of my favorite restaurants of all time. Here's the text from Galveston.com:

Quote:
Today, the trip to Galveston is much easier, but the service and cuisine of Gaido's restaurant remains the same. All of our seafood is meticulously inspected and prepared by hand.

We still peel shrimp, shuck oysters, and filet fish the old fashioned way as we have for the last ninety years, and we are not about to change. All of our sauces, salad dressings, and desserts are homemade from Gaido's family recipes, using only the finest of fresh ingredients.

Four generations of Gaido's have committed themselves to excellence. Come sample our famous oyster platter or have our snapper prepared any way you'd like. It's all waiting for you on Seawall Boulevard at 39th Street.

The liver is evil, and must be punished...

#124106 - 02/10/03 10:38 AM Re: Galveston ?'s
Chato Offline

Loc: Orange, Tx
Fish-N-Stuff.
Best place in Galveston, no doubt. That is, if you like inexpensive fried seafood caught right there in the Gulf and made by locals. It's a hole in the wall, but by far my favorite place to eat. For atmosphere, I like Fish Tales (even had my wedding reception there). Upstairs balcony area is pretty awesome. The food at Guidos, Fish Tales, and Landrys is all about the same to me. It's pretty good I guess, and pretty pricey. Hey, I forgot, they also have a Rainforest Cafe in Galveston now. If you've never been to one, go there! Very awesome place. Also right on the seawall. There's a few others, but the names escape me. One restaurant down the road a bit from Flagship sits right on the water. You can sit outside on the deck and watch the surf break below you. The food is similiar to everywhere else, so is the price.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal