I realize some of you do not get The TMTC newsletter nor check their site a lot. They are in the process of aquiring another property here in Texas. Short story.. it was thought to be a done deal and then a high priced lobbyist got involved. It was tabled and the commission will look at it again the end of January.

TMTC board is asking that we all right and express our desires for the property. They honestly feel that if another site falls through we will never get another. Read all about it here TMTC

Here is a cut and paste ot the sample. If you need I can provide a processed version.

Here is a sample letter:

Fax your letter to:
Joseph Fitzsimons, Chairman
512.389.4814 (This is his office at TPWD)
210.828.5091 (This is his law office)

State Cultural and Recreational resource committee Chairman
Texas Representative Harvey Hilderbran

On January 26, 2006, the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department (TPWD) Commission will be voting to approve a property acquisition request from the Texas Motorized Trails Coalition (TMTC) for a property in Crockett County.

On November 3, 2005, the TPWD Commission voted to table this project. I would like to register my full support for the TMTC and the proposed project. I strongly encourage the TPWD Commission to accept the TPWD staff recommendation to approve this grant.

During the 78th Legislative session, SB 155 was passed, prohibiting the public use of motorized vehicles in state riverbeds. As part of SB155 oversight, the State Cultural and Recreational Resources Committee amended the bill to include a mandate for TPWD to:

Sec. 90.009. MOTOR VEHICLE RECREATION SITES.
(a) The department shall establish a program to identify and to facilitate the development of motor vehicle recreation sites that are not located in or on a protected freshwater area. The department shall seek the cooperation of political subdivisions, landowners, nonprofit groups,
(b) The department shall seek and use funding from the federal government

This law was passed almost 3 years ago and the TPWD has still not been able to fulfill its mandate under the amendment of SB155, made by the State Cultural and Recreational Resources Committee, the oversight committee for the TPWD. The TMTC has worked directly with the TPWD to insure that the chosen site is environmentally, culturally and socially acceptable under all of the federal Recreational Trails Fund guidelines.

The TPWD staff has recommended this project for approval. I offer my full support for the proposed project and the partnership between the TPWD and the TMTC.

I encourage the Commission to vote to approve this Recreational Trails Fund grant.

Sincerely,

Signature . Print Name

Resident County . Zip Code