2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12905 - 10/10/05 09:58 AM "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Got an 05 OR, just less than a month old.

When I start the engine and put it in drive, I drive for about 30-40ft and hear a light "clank" sound from underneath.

It only happens ONCE as it starts to go from first to second gear... it won't happen again for the rest of the trip.

But if I shut off the engine and let it sit for a couple minutes (like a run to the store) it will "clank" again when I first start driving again.

It happens every time I drive it, but only once during the trip - at the very beginning.

Is that normal and any ideas what it is?

#12906 - 10/10/05 10:06 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it the engine clanking, the transmission, something in the suspension?

#12907 - 10/10/05 10:09 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Isnt there a thread on this already? T-case or something? supposed to be normal operating sound at start-up i think. smile

#12908 - 10/10/05 10:12 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think it's been covered a few times in the 2005 section. If I remember right it's a self test of antilock brakes or VDC or something like that.
Completely normal anyway.

#12909 - 10/10/05 10:13 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by AHTOXA:
Is it the engine clanking, the transmission, something in the suspension?
It doesn't sound like from the engine compartment - more like from underneath the vehicle, possibly along the drivetrain or tranny.

#12910 - 10/10/05 10:14 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by 05_X:
I think it's been covered a few times in the 2005 section. If I remember right it's a self test of antilock brakes or VDC or something like that.
I looked but didn't find a thread on it.

I'll look again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

#12911 - 10/10/05 10:26 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

you didnt run over an impala SS did you? those damn things can stuck up under your truck and rot you from the inside out. make sure you look real good. the symptoms of an impala ss infection are unmistakeable: first you rims will swell to 22 inches, and have a chrome-like appearance. Then your suspension will sag lowering your truck to the ground, and lastly, your stereo will blast played-out rap music so loud your led windshield washer fluid sprayers will pulse to the beat. Its a terrible aflliction, make sure to protect yourself. Prolonged exposure has been known to lead to unemployment, lack of sexual attention, and having to move back in with your mom.

#12912 - 10/10/05 10:36 AM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

It is the ABS system doing a self test. It has been previously noted in the forum and it is even noted in the owners manual.

#12913 - 10/10/05 01:51 PM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
That would be it. It's in the manual. If you do a quick search in the '05 forum there is a thread about this.

#12914 - 10/10/05 02:06 PM Re: "clank" sound heard on new OR
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Muzikman:
Quote:
[b]I think it's been covered a few times in the 2005 section. If I remember right it's a self test of antilock brakes or VDC or something like that.
That would be it. It's in the manual. If you do a quick search in the '05 forum there is a thread about this.[/b]
Thanks a bunch. That certainly sounds like it to me.

I searched the General section but not the 05 section.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal