2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#12949 - 30/06/05 07:16 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Subaru Outback. My stepmom has had one for 3 years now, and LOVES it. It's nice to drive, but I'd recommend the V6.

I can understand why everyone is saying the Honda Element, but I just can't get used to those. They may be functional, but the form is still fugly.

Come to think about it.....why not check out the Hundai Santa Fe? My soon-to-be in-kaws bought one last year and absolutely LOVE it.I've ridden in the back a few times and it was very roomy/comfortable even for me (6'-1", 245#).

How about, dare I say it, the Jeep Liberty, or a newer used Jeep Cherokee(not the Grand Cherokee, just the regular Cherokee......maybe a 99 or a 2000?)?

#12950 - 30/06/05 07:21 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by Hawk:
I can understand why everyone is saying the Honda Element, but I just can't get used to those. They may be functional, but the form is still fugly.
Can't agree with you more, fuckin ugly, lamo car.

#12951 - 30/06/05 09:13 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Todd,

Be like our "3G's" Gas Guzzling Governator, and
get a Hummer! Then you can feel superior to everyone in Colorado! laugh

Just kidding. I hope you don't get rid of your X since I want to hang out with you and your son next year. We still need to talk... smile

Mark

#12952 - 30/06/05 09:56 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another thing to consider is that I'm pretty sure Honda is making a hybrid CRV for 2006.

#12953 - 30/06/05 10:38 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Smith Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by pnwbeers:
I'd get a Mazda 6 wagon - sportier and better handling than the Subie, plus cheaper. Considering the amount of utility it has, it's a pretty fun car (especially with a stick).

Agreed! The wife has one it's actually a pretty nice ride. 17" wheels, heated leather seats, climate control, bose system with 6 disc in dash changer and built in subwoofer, auto with manual shift and it will move too. I never would have thought I would like driving a wagon. [Freak]

#12954 - 01/07/05 10:21 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
terrano Offline

Loc: New México
My first choice for an AWD sporty wagon would be a BMW 325xi (or 325i for two wheel drive). Sporty looking (doesn't scream boring), and fun to drive, especially with the manual transmission. The price is about the same as an Audi A4 quattro wagon, so not exactly cheap. Try to find one without a lot of useless options (premium package, navigation, etc.). You may have to special order, since dealers like to stock really loaded versions. IMO BMW's seem to cost less to maintain than Audis, especially as they get older. The Audi is also a very nice ride, though.

The BMW 3-series is about to come out with a new model. I believe the new wagon version will be in 2006 sometime. Bargain hard on an old one. :rolleyes:

#12955 - 05/07/05 08:51 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Surprised that no one has mentioned the Scion xB yet.

Love it or hate it, these boxy wagons offer exceptional space and versitility for their fuel mileage. xB or Element would be my choice.

Luxry wagons like Audi or Volvo are great, but how much gas money are you gonna save when you spend $35,000+ on the vehicle to begin with?

#12956 - 05/07/05 09:15 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Well, if you decide on getting a Euro vehicle, check out:

Volvo Overseas Delivey site

BMW Overseas Delivery

Mercedes Overseas Delivery

Saab Overseas Delivery

Conspicuously absent? Audi, which does NOT have a Euro-delivery option.

Me, for reliability I go by what I see dumped on the used car lots - and you always see a row of volkswagens (Jetta's mostly) and Jeep Grand Cherokee's. Not very inspiring.

I would much rather have the Mazda or Subaru - just go sit in the Subaru for a while. I rode along with a friend in his Outback and the seats were very uncomfortable.

Or heck, the Murano. Isn't Nissan supposed to have their Scion/Element competitor out next year too? Or is it further off still?

#12957 - 06/07/05 05:10 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

The most important part of his post has been ignored by alot of you. He has two 75lb dogs! Those smaller "wagons" just ain't gonna cut it. I have three 40-50lb dogs and there's no way I'd be able to comfortably get them into an A4 or 325i wagon/hatchback.

My wife drives a Volvo XC70 (AWD) and I love it. It has plenty of room, is fun to drive, is the most comfortable car I've ever sat in, and it's sturdy enough to handle rougher roads and terrain.

I'd also second the Element. These things have grown on me, although I'm still not crazy about the looks. I have to admit, they drive well and have tons of room inside. Plus, as someone else mentioned, no need to deal with dog hair with that interior.

The Outback is a good third option.

I wouldn't get a CR-V just because...well, I can't stand those things. No good reason. wink

#12958 - 06/07/05 09:10 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Morvran:
The most important part of his post has been ignored by alot of you. He has two 75lb dogs! Those smaller "wagons" just ain't gonna cut it. I have three 40-50lb dogs and there's no way I'd be able to comfortably get them into an A4 or 325i wagon/hatchback.
Not true. As I stated in my first post, I have two big dogs - 80 and 100 pounds. They fit fine with room to spare in the back of our A4 "wagon."

Of course, you'll have to make other arrangements for gear/luggage if you are road trippin' with the hounds. We have a rocketbox which probably holds more than the rear end of the Audi.

#12959 - 06/07/05 10:31 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Huh. My buddy has one and I wouldn't be able to comfortably fit my dogs back there unless the back seats were down. Maybe it's a matter of the definition of comfort hehe (and acknowledging that 3 medium dogs take up more space than 2 large dogs).

And of course, Go Bucks!

#12960 - 06/07/05 10:36 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

I know most people won't like this but...

I would look at and get a crew cab pickup.

Plenty of room and useful bed for hauling.
As a second vehicle, it would be used as such and it is always great to have the bed for hauling.

#12961 - 06/07/05 10:36 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well, of course we put the seats down. If there will be more than the two of us in the vehicle with both dogs, we take the X. They would fit in the way back of the Audi, but they wouldn't have much room at all.

Back atcha!

#12962 - 06/07/05 11:25 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Ah ok, I was looking at cars where you would be able to still use the back seats (for kids and such).

Priceless pic...ah Columbus. [Smoking]

#12963 - 06/07/05 05:43 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
John Doe Offline

Loc: Chattanooga
My wife's car is a 2002 (non turbo) Forester, we love it. It get 24 MPG.

#12964 - 06/07/05 07:59 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Todd,
I'd check out the Volvo V50 AWD. We have the sedan version(S40 T5 AWD) and absolutly love it. Fast ,safe, decent mpg (23 city to 30 hwy) . We chose it over the Subaru Legacy GT Limited. We test drove every AWD car out there (except BMW) and the Volvo was our final pick.

#12965 - 06/07/05 09:15 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffo65:

As a second vehicle, it would be used as such and it is always great to have the bed for hauling.
Hate to rain on your parade here, but the point of needing a second car is because of poor gas milage...not exactly what pickups are good for.

#12966 - 07/07/05 08:30 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by evansxterr:
Todd,
I'd check out the Volvo V50 AWD. We have the sedan version(S40 T5 AWD) and absolutly love it. Fast ,safe, decent mpg (23 city to 30 hwy) . We chose it over the Subaru Legacy GT Limited. We test drove every AWD car out there (except BMW) and the Volvo was our final pick.
I also had an S40 T5 and absolutely loved it (had to sell already because we're moving abroad)...and the V50 version is also excellent. But just like I was saying with the Audi, if you're going to have your dogs in there you'll need to put all the seats down flat...hence my recommendation of the fuller-size wagon so you can still use those seats if you want.

#12967 - 07/07/05 09:05 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Why not a Murano?

#12968 - 07/07/05 10:23 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Steel_City_X Offline

Loc: Pueblo, CO
This is moving very nicely.

My wife is VERY price sensitive, so I must stay in the lower 20K range. I also live in an area where we do not have Audi/Volvo dealers. Service is an issue in the first couple years. I do not want to have to take time off work to go to the dealership.

Crash test safety is leaning towards the forester, but the lack of rear airbags is a concern. I have not seen the Maurano show up on best picks/buys list. I have been very happy in the past looking at this type of information.

Too bad the imports are not advertising employee pricing. I guess I'll have to really know the pricing.

Thank you for the ongoing discussion and comments.

Todd
First Xterra IFS or SAS up Moab Rim...#2 up Mt. Blanca.
African Adventure pictures....
http://homepage.mac.com/ahlenius/

#12969 - 07/07/05 10:39 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
slighly off-topic, but an interesting article on who owns what when it comes to cars

#12970 - 07/07/05 11:40 AM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

That price range rules out a lot of what's been mentioned here like Volvos, Muranos, etc....

That leaves cute utes like Rav4's, Asscapes, CRV's, etc. in contention, but given those choises, the Subaru looks better. I like the looks of the outback better than the forester tho, but the forester is better suited to K9s.

#12971 - 07/07/05 05:17 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Saline Offline

Loc: Fruita , CO
Yep, that price range does knock out the Volvo,Audi,Murano, and upper end Subaru. Believe it or not but a loaded Subaru Outback/Legacy is $32,000 also.

#12972 - 07/07/05 05:39 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Subaru's ARE expensive, but man are they comfortable! I test drove a Subaru Imprezza (spelling?) once and it was a sweet ride... and comfy too. Great safety ratings too!

#12973 - 07/07/05 06:47 PM Re: second vehicle recommendations WANTED
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffo65:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hate to rain on your parade here, but the point of needing a second car is because of poor gas milage...not exactly what pickups are good for.
I disagree on your reasoning. Our second vehicle has always been the vehicle used for work or play. The first vehicle was the one that was used for common sense driving (better mileage).

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal