2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#131964 - 13/10/06 10:19 AM SoCal fabrication shops -- reccomendations?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've been working on a design for a roof rack and pretty much have it finalized. Does anyone have a reccomendation for a local fab shop that does good work at a reasonable price? Also looking for someone whose into one-off challenges like this so they can make suggestions to improve my design if need be. And since I'm no designer, I'll be looking for some input.

So I can get some input from you guys, I'm just going to make a low-slung base section, similar in theme to the factory shape. On the sides of the X, the tubes will taper outward a bit, and the sides will be connected permanently w/four crossbars. To that, I'll mount my extended loadwarrior basket with all of the crap on it. The tubes will taper out just enough to clear the Yak basket's shape.

This way, I can pull the basket and just have a really discreet tubeset up there. I might even have mounts for that integrated lightset (can't remember the name) like they run on the desert race trucks that are light weight, surrounded w/a tube section and mounted with rods on heims.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

#131965 - 13/10/06 10:27 AM Re: SoCal fabrication shops -- reccomendations?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
Castle Fab in O.C. He did my bumper.

http://www.castlefab.net/index.htm

John is a good guy, good work and if he's not slamed he will dial you in. I would suggest having the light mounts tabbed in since that Sol tech light rack with lights you are talking about runs in the thousands.

#131966 - 13/10/06 10:33 AM Re: SoCal fabrication shops -- reccomendations?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Patrick.

I talked to those guys about the lights at one of the shows recently and they have a set on the web site for less than $500 I think. I'll have to look into it further to see if it's even feasible, cost-wise.

#131967 - 13/10/06 10:40 AM Re: SoCal fabrication shops -- reccomendations?
socalpunx Offline

Loc: The land of losers and liberal...
If we are talking about the same thing, they might be a little overkill. Aren't they HIDs? Unless you are going to be going 70MPH in the dark in the middle of nowhere you might be spending more than you need.

Are you talking about something like this?
https://www.bajadesigns.com/NET/mainframe2.aspx?content=

If so you can have your rack have the same design integrated into the fron with the tabs.

I'd consider the integrated light tabs and look at the HELLa 4000 and the 4000 compact.

But make sure you give Castle a call.

P.

Moderator:  krisjon 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal