Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 162 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#133593 - 24/09/05 05:49 AM XOC website suggestion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all, I love the website! It is very informative and helps with a lot of questions I have about my Xterra. The only suggestion I have would be to allow someone to search in more than one forum when using the search feature. I am unsure if this message board program will allow that to be set up without extensive programming, but is was just a thought. Thanks.

#133594 - 24/09/05 07:50 AM Re: XOC website suggestion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Eddie, this is not meant to be a slam so don't take it like one, but,,,,,you should search this (suggestion) forum and you will find a ton of old threads about this topic, and why it is not an option to search all threads. laugh

#133595 - 24/09/05 02:13 PM Re: XOC website suggestion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow...you're right...there is definitely a lot of discussion about this one. I don't agree with the dismissal of the global search though. Although it may take up more bandwidth, I still see where it could free up bandwidth. If I have to search 10 forums for an answer to a question and then still don't find it, then I have to ask the question again only to be told to search for the question because it has already been answered, that takes up just as much bandwidth and a lot more time for everyone than a global search would have. I understand if it never gets implemented though, since this is a free site to use. As of today I have joined as a supporting member and I hope others will do the same. Then maybe more bandwidth could be purchased and global seach could be reimplemented. I don't think it would be condoning laziness, just efficiently and less duplication on questions.

#133596 - 24/09/05 06:25 PM Re: XOC website suggestion.
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie:
Although it may take up more bandwidth,
It doesn't take up bandwidth, apparently the global search for UBB really sucks and consumes all the processor on the server hosting the site, causing it to slow to a crawl.

At one point in time, Ian, the original admin of the site, was going to switch us to some more modern BB software - but the conversion didn't go well or something, and here we still are :rolleyes:

#133597 - 25/09/05 05:35 PM Re: XOC website suggestion.
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by Eddie:
Wow...you're right...there is definitely a lot of discussion about this one. I don't agree with the dismissal of the global search though. Although it may take up more bandwidth, I still see where it could free up bandwidth. If I have to search 10 forums for an answer to a question and then still don't find it, then I have to ask the question again only to be told to search for the question because it has already been answered, that takes up just as much bandwidth and a lot more time for everyone than a global search would have. I understand if it never gets implemented though, since this is a free site to use. As of today I have joined as a supporting member and I hope others will do the same. Then maybe more bandwidth could be purchased and global seach could be reimplemented. I don't think it would be condoning laziness, just efficiently and less duplication on questions.
Yea, what he said! And especially about more people joining! Well worth it for the money I have saved! smile

#133598 - 28/09/05 03:07 AM Re: XOC website suggestion.
Origami Gangsta Offline

Loc: Dammit! Even CLOSER to Smith a...
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
At one point in time, Ian, the original admin of the site, was going to switch us to some more modern BB software - but the conversion didn't go well or something, and here we still are :rolleyes:
He was going to switch to vBulletin a few years ago, but it didn't happen. frown

So much better, IMO.

#133599 - 29/09/05 07:27 PM Re: XOC website suggestion.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried Rice Mofo:
Quote:
[b]At one point in time, Ian, the original admin of the site, was going to switch us to some more modern BB software - but the conversion didn't go well or something, and here we still are :rolleyes:
He was going to switch to vBulletin a few years ago, but it didn't happen. frown

So much better, IMO.[/b]
I subscribe to a couple of forums that use vBulletin and it does have some nice additional features.

#133600 - 29/09/05 08:41 PM Re: XOC website suggestion.
dezurtrat Offline

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by srpage:
Quote:
Originally posted by Fried Rice Mofo:
[b]
Quote:
[b]At one point in time, Ian, the original admin of the site, was going to switch us to some more modern BB software - but the conversion didn't go well or something, and here we still are :rolleyes:

So much better, IMO.[/b]
I subscribe to a couple of forums that use vBulletin and it does have some nice additional features.[/b]
As I recall they gave it a good try to switch but had all kinds of problems and went back to the original setup.

Mike

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal