Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
10/05/24 09:56 AM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 137 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#150361 - 12/04/06 08:17 AM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by Rickster43:
]Nope...This kinda stuff is very, very interesting to me...I even ordered "Inside 911" from National Geographic...It was a tragic event, But it is History...
Hey, I'm with you there, I'm into the nitty-gritty factual stuff myself, but this dramatic stuff is too much.

Oh, and welcome back Madman! Have you EVER posted outside the clubhouse or ALR? This is an Xterra board ya know...

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#150362 - 12/04/06 09:31 AM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Did not watch this trailer... did see the TV version. I really won't comment on either wink

However, has anyone read or even heard any speculation(s) as to what the target of Flight 93 was??

No matter what we think or say those brave individuals saved whomever was in or near the proposed target.

I for one will always try and remmeber true heroes! Someday I will make the roadtrip to the monument...

#150363 - 12/04/06 11:38 AM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by WilMac1023:
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky42:
[b]All the profits should benefit 9/11 victims. Otherwise, it's blood money. I recognize that many tragic events have been brought to the screen, and that the purpose is to make money, but in my mind, 9/11 is different. Nobody should be making money off of that.
So what do you have to say to Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, and Darryl Worley?[/b]
Good question. My problem with the movie is that it depicts individuals where I assume the people you mentioned did "big picture" songs or whatever about the entire event.

NY Madman: I have to disagree with you on that. Calling profits from a movie made about a terrorist attack that occurred on American soil is not blood money. Especially not when victims families were involved in the process.

From thefreedictionary.com :

blood money
n.
1. Money paid by a killer as compensation to the next of kin of a murder victim.
2. Money gained at the cost of another's life or livelihood.

By definition 2, it certainly is blood money, at least technically. It's fine to disagree, my point is that no one should profit from the events of 9/11. If it doesn't go to the families, ok, it just shouldn't be going to a corporate bottom line.

NY Madman: The families of the victims have no problems with the film. There is no reason anyone else should have a problem. The producers at least had the courtesy to include them in the process. How many Hollywood people actually do that? Will Oliver Stone be doing that with his upcoming film "World Trade Center"?

It's also wrong to think that every cent regarding everything new related to 9/11 should go to the victims families. The families have been well compensated and are set for life. The events of 9/11 are also not wholly owned by the families of the victims.

I'm calling on some of my experience as an airline disaster responder here, and yes, the families have "no problem" with the film because it's human nature for them to want their loved ones' story told. It's also commendable that they've been included in the filmmaking. That's all fine; again, my objections are 1) a corporation profiting from 9/11 and 2) regardless of how well they've researched the film, much of it will still be supposition.

NismoXse02: I love when people take movies so seriously. It's a freakin' movie! "Friday Night Lights" was still a great movie... watched it again tonight on Starz. My wife is from Midland and thought they did a wonderful job. Who cares where directors get their inspiration from? No one's going to make an exact reenactment.

I love when people reply but have totally missed my point. wink

Make a movie, fine. Don't market it as a "true story" when it's not. That's my issue, because most people don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between what really happened and what the filmmakers portray. Thus, art becomes history. Not good.

NismoXse02: This flight and the Pentagon always take a back seat, yet they're the most interesting. If you have some personal politics that you don't like about all this, don't go see it. No one's going to force you. wink

I agree with your point about the WTC getting a disproportionate amount of attention.

As for my personal politics, they have nothing to do with my views on this film.

As stated earlier, 9/11 (and perhaps Oklahoma City) are just different from other tragedies. I can't really articulate my feelings any better I'm afraid, other than to say nobody should be making money off of them. IMHO of course. cool

#150364 - 12/04/06 08:00 PM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Make a movie, fine. Don't market it as a "true story" when it's not. That's my issue, because most people don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between what really happened and what the filmmakers portray. Thus, art becomes history. Not good.
Hence the words "Based on a". And if people take it verbatim as the facts, well... that's their own problem if they're not educated enough to differentiate, right? [Freak]
Quote:
As for my personal politics, they have nothing to do with my views on this film.
Not actual politics like republican/democrat crap. [Geek] I'm talking about your beliefs of movies that are "Based on a True Story". wink

#150365 - 13/04/06 07:38 AM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
BlueSky Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by NismoXse02:
Quote:
[b]Make a movie, fine. Don't market it as a "true story" when it's not. That's my issue, because most people don't seem to have the ability to differentiate between what really happened and what the filmmakers portray. Thus, art becomes history. Not good.
Hence the words "Based on a". And if people take it verbatim as the facts, well... that's their own problem if they're not educated enough to differentiate, right? [Freak]
Quote:
Not actual politics like republican/democrat crap. [Geek] I'm talking about your beliefs of movies that are "Based on a True Story". wink [/b]
Looks like we'll just agree to disagree. But...if you're going to make a fictional movie, still seems to me you shouldn't then take the names of actual people, a real team, a couple of the events that occurred, and so on but then make up a bunch of stuff too. Why do that? What's the point?

With that said, the movie definitely captured the spirit of Texas high school football. My daughters attended Lewisville High and I will never forget going to the '93 5A Division II title game in the Astrodome. Our Lewisville Fighting Farmers (no, that's really the nickname) defeated Aldine MacArthur 43-37 by scoring a TD with 21 seconds left.

It's 265 miles from Lewisville to Houston. Aldine is a Houston suburb. LHS had more fans there than MacArthur. Farmer Pride! wink

#150366 - 13/04/06 09:02 AM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
BlueSky Offline

Going back to the thread's subject, have you read the UA93 Cockpit Voice Recorder transcript ?

The comment at 9:33:34 tells you all you need to know about the nuts these Islamic extremists are. As they carry out their ruthless murder, one of them says in Arabic: "In the name of Allah, the most merciful, the most compassionate."

Not that it's a news flash, but these are some sick f***ers.

#150367 - 13/04/06 09:31 AM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
NismoXse02 Offline

Loc: The Woodlands, TX
Quote:
Looks like we'll just agree to disagree. But...if you're going to make a fictional movie, still seems to me you shouldn't then take the names of actual people, a real team, a couple of the events that occurred, and so on but then make up a bunch of stuff too. Why do that? What's the point?
There's hardly any difference in that and making a movie based on the events of the Titanic, WWII (i.e. Saving Private Ryan), Pearl Harbor etc. People are just interested in world events like that. Most people aren't dumb enough to believe it's actual footage, but it does help people "visualize" what it could have been like. I think we'll agree that movie producers these days are no longer being creative and take the easy route by using a real story or using an old TV show series. [Freak]

BTW, since Rudy and Hoosiers are two of my favorite movies, I will always support movies based on a true story. laugh

You're not teaching me about Texas football, are you? [LOL]

#150368 - 19/04/07 10:02 PM Re: United 93 (Trailer)
Auditor_Kevin Offline

Loc: Dundee, IL
Quote:
Originally posted by Shahram:
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
[b]Who doesn't know about it already? And do we have such thorough documentation of the exact events that happened on the plane that the movie will be more fact than schmaltzy fiction?
Schmaltzy? Just wait for the soundtrack, the french horns and military snare drums, the music swelling all Spielberg style at just the right moment...

"Schmaltzy" might just be the right word...

Documentaries, I understand, but cheap Hollywood (Over)dramatizations, I have no stomach for.[/b]
I just watched United 93 for the first time on HBO. Gutwrenching. Overwhelming. Respectful. As the movie ended, I just sat there in utter silence until the final credit rolled. The final 15 minutes of this film are as intense as the first 10 of Saving Private Ryan.

The reason why I chose this post to bump the only real thread on this film was so I could let others enjoy two of XOC's biggest armchair critics get proven wrong.

No french horns. No "schmaltz". Just an amazing movie that depicts the heros of 9/11. Oh - if my opinion isn't enough, the movie made almost every critic's top 10 (top 5 actually) list of 2006.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  RedX, RiNkY 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal