Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174204 - 11/05/03 11:16 PM What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
XCFreak Offline

Loc: Your backyard
Hi,

Anyone know what is the best way to permanently get rid of pet odor from the seat and floor mats? I just bought an used X and the previous owner owned pets so there's a light pet odor on the upholstry.

Thanks,
David

#174205 - 11/05/03 11:35 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
Todrick Offline

Loc: Arizona
One Word: Febreze

#174206 - 12/05/03 06:16 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
Febreeze does work very well, however like any other method it will work best if as much of the dirt/dander/drool/whatever that's causing the odor is removed as possible. Do a thorough cleaning/vacuuming job with upholstery cleaner, then apply the Febreeze, and your problem should be solved.

#174207 - 12/05/03 11:33 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
XCFreak Offline

Yeah, I've been spraying fabreeze everyday since I bought the truck and the smell comes back after a few hours. The upholstery looks clean, but I guess there are still stuff that I can't see.

How about doing a deep steam cleaning? Has anyone tried that? Does the steam/water just push the debree deeper into the seats?

#174208 - 12/05/03 01:30 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
trwinship Offline

Loc: Gahanna, OH, USA
Not really if you vacuum the liquid out thoroughly. Plus most cleaners will have a deodorizer built in that might neutralize the smell even if it does soak too far in to be pulled out. Something like this seems like your best bet as it sounds like the odor has really soaked into the upholstery.

#174209 - 12/05/03 05:15 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I am struggling with this problem now. Cat pee. Don't ask.

Febreeze is worse than useless. It smells more digusting than the pee. I found something called Four Paws Industrial Super Strength Stain and Odor Remover that seems to have worked on the carpet. The rear seat is still a problem. I used the same stuff and something else called Nature's Miracle. Still smells awful but it says wait two weeks for complete drying. The seat is harder because it soaked in more.

Edit to add: OK, 24 hours later and the seat cushion has dried. The Nature's Miracle did pretty well at deleting the smell.

#174210 - 12/05/03 05:44 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
XCFreak Offline

I read somewhere that someone had yanked out all their seats and did an entire wash and soak of the seats. But since I can't find the post, I'm wondering if I may have just imagined it all.

Is it even possible to do that or am I gonna completely damage the upholstery?

#174211 - 12/05/03 07:42 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
buck Offline

Loc: Shohola,PA. 18458
If you have a friend in the funeral business, see them. All Funeral Directors have a type of white powder that they use for odors, esp. with dead bodies that have decayed. Works great! Put some in a dish, put on console, roll up all windows, and leave it overnight. The next day.....NOTHING!

#174212 - 13/05/03 07:10 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
Quote:
Originally posted by XCFreak:
I read somewhere that someone had yanked out all their seats and did an entire wash and soak of the seats. But since I can't find the post, I'm wondering if I may have just imagined it all.

Is it even possible to do that or am I gonna completely damage the upholstery?
At hardware stores: CONSAN TRIPLE ACTION
This is a concentrate that is about $10-12 quart that you mix with water. It is an anti-fungal, disinfectant...Commonly used at hospitals. It erradicates odors by neutralizing odors and killing fungus, etc...

Mix some up in a spray bottle and soak your seats/carpet pretty good, allow it to sit for about 15 minutes and wet-dry vac thoroughly. After you finish there will be NO odor. No cover-up perfume smell either..This is an odor eliminator.

*CAUTION*
Read the directions about safety...Do not breathe " Mist " while spraying. Do not contact eyes, nose or mouth...etc...

[Wave]

#174213 - 13/05/03 08:15 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
XCFreak Offline

bonesnTX, that product sounds amazing. I gotta give that a try. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks

#174214 - 14/05/03 08:20 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
Jefe Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, VA
I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago, when my dog got incredibly ill on a road trip, and it was coming out both ends. The smell the next day was enough to stagger a stallion.

Febreze failed, so did soap and water. I wound up using something I had used during housebreaking, called nilodor. I had it diluted in a spray bottle, and it took out the smell and the stain with a few squirts and a rub with a few paper towels.

No more smell, no more stain. To quote the evil one -- "It's a good thing" [Geek]

The Force? Duct Tape is the Force. It has a Light Side, a Dark Side, and it holds the whole damn universe together!

#174215 - 15/05/03 07:42 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
k_enn Offline

Loc: Northern New Jersey
Quote:
Originally posted by Jefe:
I had the same issue about 2 weeks ago, when my dog got incredibly ill on a road trip, and it was coming out both ends. The smell the next day was enough to stagger a stallion.

Febreze failed, so did soap and water. I wound up using something I had used during housebreaking, called nilodor. I had it diluted in a spray bottle, and it took out the smell and the stain with a few squirts and a rub with a few paper towels.

No more smell, no more stain. To quote the evil one -- "It's a good thing" [Geek]
I have used Nilodor quite successfully to. It is available at most pet supply stores. It works on a different principle than most other odor removers/cleaners. Rather than disguise the odor or try to wash out the source of the odor, it uses enzymes to break down and destroy the source of the odor. I find for best results to just spray it on the affected area, and leave it alone. It may take a day or too to elminate the odor, but it almost always works on the first application. I find it offers one advantage over other types of cleaners, it has removed the "contamination" of the floor under some of the carpeted areas in my house. I assume it would do the same in an X.

#174216 - 17/05/03 09:55 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
Xterra Kid 2003 Offline

Loc: Bozeman MT, originally Detroit...
get it profesionaly steam cleaned

#174217 - 20/05/03 11:47 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
XCFreak Offline

OK, this is a followup to the pet odor problem. Just did a major steam cleaning of the X with the strongest deordorizing shmapoo i know. The smell has been removed from the seats, but as soon as the weather warmed up, the smelled came back. I traced the problem to the cargo area of the truck as the smell back there was especially strong when I was cleaning it.

So now I'm thinking about buying the Logo Cargo mat (It's the carpeted one, not the rubber one)that Nissan sells for about 50 bucks. My question is: Does anyone know if that cargo mat replaces the original carpeting back there or does it just sit on top of it? I would like to remove the original carpeting if possible as that's where the smell is coming from.

Thanks,
David

#174218 - 20/05/03 08:38 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
MRSBonesnTX Offline

Loc: Somewhere
DUDE, ...CONSAN's TRIPLE ACTION REMEMBER???
This will erradicate any/all odors.

The NISSAN carpet Cargo Liner you mention is just to put over your existing carpet...It will not remove odors.

CONSAN's TRIPLE ACTION "It's the TRICK"

#174219 - 20/05/03 11:16 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
XCFreak Offline

MRSBones,

I was going to go with your suggestion, but then I read the label for the product and it sounded too dangerous for use in a small enclosed cabin. The product warning talked about being careful to not breathe in the mist and that it is used to eradicate molds from plants. I don't know, I got a bit scared to use something that may be potentially harmful to my lungs.

#174220 - 21/05/03 10:18 AM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
I think I mentioned to use a mask? Wear safety Glasses? Wear gloves? Read the directions? Open all doors/windows. Handled properly it is safe....Mix it in spray bottle and spray it about 3-5 inches above the fabric/carpet...allow it to soak in for about 15 minutes and then wet dry vac thouroughly. I do my house carpet twice a year with it and did my wife's car about 3 months ago. [Wave]

#174221 - 27/05/03 02:41 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
MRSBonesnTX Offline

Loc: Somewhere
Quote:
Originally posted by MRSBonesnTX:
DUDE, ...[b]CONSAN's TRIPLE ACTION REMEMBER???
This will erradicate any/all odors.

The NISSAN carpet Cargo Liner you mention is just to put over your existing carpet...It will not remove odors.

CONSAN's TRIPLE ACTION "It's the TRICK"[/b]
I didn't write this, seems MRBones been using my ID lol, seriously though, the stuff hubby is talking about is good stuff, make sure you follow all safety precautions, however the old wives secret smelly remover is good ole vinnegar. Bathe the offender with a 50/50 solution of dawn and a clear uncoloured vinnegar, rinse out thoroughly and vacumn with wet n dry vac rinse and vacumn again, 9 times out of 10 it works. [Wave]

#174222 - 27/05/03 06:09 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
Alpine Hoy Offline

Loc: Steelers Country
Quote:
Originally posted by Todrick:
One Word: Febreze
How about, SHOTGUN. jk

#174223 - 27/05/03 07:12 PM Re: What's the best way to get rid of pet odor
Lincoln Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Put something in the X that smells worse than the pet smell....but don't come back here and ask how to get rid of the new smell!!! [LOL]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal