2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174302 - 05/07/05 01:29 PM Anyone paint experts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I went to Centennial Park in ATL to watch the fireworks display last night and woke up to a car covered in ash. I took it to the car wash and they couldn't get all of the ash marks off. I am no expert and these guys apparently are not either but it appears that embers from the fireworks burned into the clear coat. It still could be only on the surface but they used a couple of different solutions and a towel but the spots did not come off. Can this kind of thing be buffed out? Will I have to put a new finish on the car? My insurance company is going to try to get this covered by the pyrotechnic company but it is Progressive and every claim I have ever had with them did not go my way. Anyone have ideas as to what I should do so I can avoid ruining the paint more...? Any shops in atlanta? This is a brand new 05 xterra that I have had for only three months... SUX!

#174303 - 05/07/05 01:34 PM Re: Anyone paint experts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

More than likely, they can be buffed out. I buffed the key marks out of keyed cars that look like they needed to be repainted. Try some grease/wax remover and rub vigorously over the burn marks and they may dissapear and then buff with some cleaner/wax. You may have great results. laugh

#174304 - 06/07/05 12:04 AM Re: Anyone paint experts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

For your sake, I hope you are wrong. frown

I would think the reports would have cooled plenty by the time they fell to the X. dunno.

Anyway, first thing i would do is go to your local (autozone?) and get Meguairs Paint cleaner and get a clay bar. (both should be with the car wash/wax stuff)

Read the instructions on both, then start with the clay and finish up by rubbing on the cleaner. You should re-wax after that, too.

Hopefully that would do it. Dont skimp out, spend about 20 minutes claying the hood, and another 10 or so with the cleaner. If the marks are still there, you need someting more abraisive like ScratchX, or take it to a detailer who can use a machine to buff it out.

#174305 - 06/07/05 10:36 AM Re: Anyone paint experts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think I am going to try that prolific... thanks

#174306 - 08/07/05 06:31 AM Re: Anyone paint experts out there?
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
SEE05X, if the Meguiar's by hand doesn't work, I use a Porter Cable Random Orbiting buffer on my X for polish. I use Menzerna polish. I am in ATL if you want to hook up and try it out. Just send me an email.

#174307 - 31/07/05 10:53 PM Re: Anyone paint experts out there?
Anonymous
Unregistered

try dx330 its a wax and grease rempover it is a ppg product and works very well at getting stuff out of paint then use a buffer be careful using the buffer if you have never used one since its very easy to burn through best of luck getting the stuff off your car
cameron

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal