Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174479 - 22/03/02 09:30 AM Scratches and Clear Coat
Vachon Offline

Loc: Vancouver, BC
I'm both a new owner and new to the board. This is great! laugh

I have searched through some of the old posts on dealing with scratches (waxing, etc.) but have not seen one that answers my question.

I had a clear coat put on by the dealer and now have a bunch of scratches from the bush, (I couldn't resist pushing my way through some of the tighter trails...). Are off-the-shelf scratch removers compatible with the clear coat or will that screw it up?

Thanks in advance...

"Never drink water, fish f**k in it." (W.C. Fields)

#174480 - 22/03/02 10:39 AM Re: Scratches and Clear Coat
Molten lava Offline

Loc: Laguna Hills, ca
I have used Scratch X but I am not happy with it. The pin stripes and rubs did not come off.

#174481 - 22/03/02 10:49 AM Re: Scratches and Clear Coat
Vachon Offline

Did you use it on clear coat? I'm happy to try different products, but I don't want to mess up the clear coat and its warranty. Perhaps I'm being paranoid but I've never had clear coat put on a vehicle before...

#174482 - 22/03/02 11:57 AM Re: Scratches and Clear Coat
xterrapin Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally posted by Vachon:
I've never had clear coat put on a vehicle before...
ALL later model Nissans (and most all other vehicles) come with a clearcoat. I get the impression that you are confusing "clearcoat" with "paint sealant". Clearcoat is the top layer of automotive refinish, you have a base coat (which is your color) and a clearcoat on top (which makes it shiny); both of which are applied at the factory. What the dealer sold you was probably a paint sealant, which is essentially an industrial grade wax. Don't get me wrong, the paint sealant has value and is a good thing to have; it's not a clearcoat though.
Now, regarding scratch removal on a two stage (basecoat/clearcoat) vehicle. Some scratches can be removed with a lil' elbow grease and some require a little more than that. Usually if you can feel the scratch by picking it with your thumbnail, it is through the factory clearcoat and will probably require refinish. If you can "barely" feel it or can't feel it at all, it can probably be removed by a buffer or wet sanding.

#174483 - 22/03/02 12:10 PM Re: Scratches and Clear Coat
Vachon Offline

Thanks, Xterrapin!

That's very helpful, and you are right. I was thinking of the sealant, which was applied by the dealer. Given that it is just an industrial grade wax, then I assume that later waxing or whatever else is fine.

Unfortunately my thumbnail definitely catches those scratches so I will have to try some of the methods I have been reading about in these forums. frown

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal