Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174662 - 28/12/04 02:05 PM Window tint removal
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Loc: New Jersey
I had to remove my window tint in order to pass inspection. I got the tint off, but not the glue.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can use to remove the glue?

I tried a solution of vinager/water and was only able to remove the "sticky" part of the glue; not the actual glue though.

Thanks,
Stone

#174663 - 28/12/04 02:19 PM Re: Window tint removal
ButterBean Offline

Loc: Walla Walla
Acetone

#174664 - 28/12/04 02:20 PM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

WD-40 and a new razor blade?

#174665 - 28/12/04 02:38 PM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Conundrum:
WD-40 and a new razor blade?
Second the razor blade.

#174666 - 28/12/04 02:43 PM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

EDIT- Interlux 216; DO NOT -
Smoke within 50 yds of it
let it touch your paint
breathe it in
stare directly at it
taunt it
drop it

**from the makers of happy fun ball**

#174667 - 30/12/04 11:22 AM Re: Window tint removal
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Thanks for the 411 all.

I tried the razor blade;it will take forever to do right now and it is in the teen's outside.

Where can I get this Acetone? Home Depot? Lowes?

Thanks,
Stone

#174668 - 30/12/04 12:54 PM Re: Window tint removal
xterraintx Offline

Loc: Eddy, TX..
Any auto paint supply place will have 3M sticker remover... It should work fine and is a lot safer.

#174669 - 31/12/04 07:07 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

it is called 3M adhesive remover,red and white can i think,,,rite on the auto parts store

#174670 - 01/01/05 03:15 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try "GOO GONE". Find it at Kmart or target. Let it soak for 2 mins, then use a razor blade.
Works really well!!

#174671 - 01/01/05 08:18 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

3M ad remover, but DeSolve-IT from wal-mart, the best, like GOO GoNE, but or on anything, paint etc.

I used it to remove pin-stripe adhesive, tar, bugs. stuff is great!

#174672 - 03/01/05 11:12 AM Re: Window tint removal
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Thanks guys!

I ended up buying this stuff called "Goo-off" at Home Depot yesterday. Saw the Acetone there too, but it was like in a gallon container (way too much for my needs).

So.....after 2 hours with a lot of rubbing and a razor blade, I was able to get the glue off. What a PITA that was!

That glue was so sticky I wasn't able to get my windows to go down. [Freak]

Now to get it re-tinted someplace.... laugh

Stone

#174673 - 06/01/05 11:00 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
I had to remove my window tint in order to pass inspection.

Thanks,
Stone
pardon my ignorance...
what kind of inspection was this?

right now im thinking its a state vehicle inspection. if so thats got to be a BIGGER PITA than removing it once, that you may have to do it every year or 2?

enlightne me please...

#174674 - 06/01/05 11:11 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jersey has vehicle inspections that are done by the State DMV.

#174675 - 06/01/05 11:31 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

factory tint is typically kosher with all the states I can think of. It's when you go darker than factory that you start to get into trouble in different states.

#174676 - 07/01/05 09:40 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

PITA is right. I had my two front windows done and a windshild strip. Not dark, just enough to cut down on the sun/heat a little. I just moved to PA from FL and now have to get an inspection myself. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the front strip, but unsure about the 2 front. I've done some research and it's a little shady (pardon the pun) about the tint laws here. I'm off to the local Nissan dealer to get their opinion since they're a certified inspection station.

#174677 - 07/01/05 04:46 PM Re: Window tint removal
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by 4xNewb:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stonecoldchavez:
[b]I had to remove my window tint in order to pass inspection.

Thanks,
Stone
pardon my ignorance...
what kind of inspection was this?

right now im thinking its a state vehicle inspection. if so thats got to be a BIGGER PITA than removing it once, that you may have to do it every year or 2?

enlightne me please...[/b]
Yes, unfortunately.

State motor vehicle inspection has to be done every two years for older vehicles. For brand new cars it is after 4 years.

In NJ it "technically" illegal to have tinted windows. Even though there are thousands of vehicles out there with them. It all depends on what police want to enforce it. There are some towns that are asses about it; others, eh, could care less.

I have had the windows tinted since I got the truck in 2000. I got lucky in 2002 that the guy at the station did not roll up my windows. smile This July I did not get so lucky. frown Oh well. If that is the only thing my truck failed for I am happy. In NJ, the are real pains in the asses for failing things. Probably second to California in strictness. In 2002 they questioned me about my Jim Wolf Popcharger (open air element) that I have.

FYI, my tint was the same as the side and rear window. Not limo tint. Way too dark for nighttime driving.

Stone

#174678 - 07/01/05 04:49 PM Re: Window tint removal
Stonecoldchavez Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by ShowtimeX:
PITA is right. I had my two front windows done and a windshild strip. Not dark, just enough to cut down on the sun/heat a little. I just moved to PA from FL and now have to get an inspection myself. I'm pretty sure I'm going to lose the front strip, but unsure about the 2 front. I've done some research and it's a little shady (pardon the pun) about the tint laws here. I'm off to the local Nissan dealer to get their opinion since they're a certified inspection station.
Not sure of the tint laws in PA..... probablt vague like the NJ laws.

IMHO, don't go to the dealership. They are probably the last ones to help you; they don't want to lose their inspection license.

If anything, find a small, local garage and see if they will do it for you.

Stone

#174679 - 04/02/05 03:33 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

Good day all,
Yep, tinting is a good thing for the summer, but also especially in the winter up here. I find it helps melt the snow off the windows much faster on a sunny day. Problem is, here in New Brunswick, anything over a 15% tint (unsure what OEM tint is) on your windshield or front side windows will get you stopped, and you have to remove it, like our friend who started this post. Rear windows, back glass, etc are OK even with limo tint. Police up here have a small light gauge which they place over the window, activate and, if you don't pass, you have a few days to get it off.
My wife got stopped in out other vehicle awhile ago, and we had to get it all pulled off. It is a PITA all right. Good luck.
PK

#174680 - 10/02/05 08:27 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think window tiniting is great, not only to keep the sun glare down, but when driving at night and you get some big rig behind you and the glare of your sideviews is blinding. eek

In Nova Scotia you are not "allowed" to have any tint on the front two or windsheild at all........had to get the front 2 windows cleaned off in my Z24 a couple years ago when a bored cop pulled me over just for that mad just paid 20 bucks or so for Speedy to do it, took 30 minutes and looked like new........in Newfoundland there is a certain amount you are allowed, which the cops measure with a ligth meter or something if they feel you are over.......my X will be done soon!! laugh

#174681 - 16/02/05 07:20 AM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

pa is just like nj, factory ok, anything else depends on how dark. They are right though.. local shops ussually don't care about tint, the dealer will. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled over for just tint, but some people that have limo tint on front window in the city and stuff get tickets for it after being stopped for other things.

Most southern states and western state come tinted a lil more then they do in the northeast

#174682 - 10/03/05 03:33 PM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

In pa both of my vehicles pass with 35% but when i was in NJ i couldnt even get 50% through.

As far as removal in the 7-8 times i have removed it from windows, i just pulled gently to remove most of the glue with it, then warm soapy water and a razor.

#174683 - 15/03/05 04:18 PM Re: Window tint removal
Anonymous
Unregistered

There is no inspection in Florida.. Get any tint you want! I used to have mirror tent on my Celica before the Xterra. It is possible to get a ticket for being too dark. However, i have had super dark tint on all my cars and have been pulled over numerous times, and never a word said.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal