Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#175997 - 12/03/04 09:16 AM How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I want to add some tasteful stickers/decals (PIAA, Calmini, Bilstein, etc.) to the back side glass window of my Xterra. But I don't want them to look like shit after a few months (faded, peeling, bubbled, etc.). I was thinking about buying clear coat spray (or some sort of lacquer) for the front of the stickers, and additional adhesive spray for the back (to ensure that the corners won't start to peel after a carwash, etc.).

Have any of you done something similar and what have been your results? Would you recommend another way of preserving the look and adhesive quality of these stickers? Any specific suggestions would be appreciated.

-dp [Smoking]

#175998 - 12/03/04 09:33 AM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
austinbrtndr Offline

Loc: ATX
The stickers are vinyl and won't fade... don't worry about that... and as long as you don't pick at them they shouldn't peel, either...

West Ham UFC -- Come On You Irons!!!

www.myspace.com/kraigslist

Kraig

#175999 - 12/03/04 02:06 PM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
Lightning Offline

Loc: High Point, NC
Of course make sure you clean the area really well before sticking.

#176000 - 08/04/04 09:19 AM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
Team Foster Offline

Loc: CT
all stickers will fade and fall off over time. It all depends on what material they used to make them. If your looking to beef up a sticker thats pre made go to your local sign shop and ask them for some UV guard. most sign shops will have something either in a spray or a clear vinyl that you can apply to stickers to help protect them.

If your getting stickers/ graphics made up for you make sure you request some sort of abrasion coating and or UV guard.

Hope this helps if you need more info let me know.

-Adam

#176001 - 10/04/04 10:06 AM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
IceChickenX Offline

Loc: Huntsville, AL
Quote:
Originally posted by Lightning:
Of course make sure you clean the area really well before sticking.
Yes, I agree, if you clean the area really well, you won't have any problems with the sticker coming off.

IceChickenX

#176002 - 12/04/04 06:19 AM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
Close1 Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally posted by austinbrtndr:
The stickers are vinyl and won't fade... don't worry about that... and as long as you don't pick at them they shouldn't peel, either...
If subjected to hours in the sun, they will most definitely fade. It all depends on the quality of the material being used, which gives it its fade resistant life.

And as long as you apply it to a clean surface I agree, you shouldn't have any problems with peeling. laugh

#176003 - 22/04/04 06:46 AM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

if the decals are good vinyl then more than likely they won't fade. You have different types of vinyl rangind from 2 years all the way up to 9 years that they can be out in the sun. For keeping the edges from peeling up. If you go to a automtive paint store or even a sign supply type store they sell a pen that is called SEALIT. What it is is vinyl graphic edge sealer that you put on the egdes of the decal and it keeps it from gettine moisture behind. Being in the sign business I use this all the time when I do vehicle graphics because of car washes and etc.

#176004 - 22/04/04 11:55 AM Re: How Do I Keep Window Decals From Fading or Loosing Adhesion?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently installed a decal kit on my R1 and I used the following process to 'prep' the surfaces for decal placement.

- Goo-Off (or similar cleaner)
- Windex (or similar surface cleaner)
- Soft rag dampened with filtered water (I used water from our Britta pitcher)

The panel surfaces were perfectly clean and chemical-free after that. [ThumbsUp]

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal