2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176137 - 08/11/06 04:02 PM To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Okay all, I have a question. This is a poll of sorts, but I am hoping to get some discussion around this topic as I am sure there are many of us that have this issue. I know there is another post like this, but I am looking for many to contribute... so here goes:

I have a 2000 Green XE. I have done all the regular upkeep on it, and I am good with washing and waxing on a somewhat regular basis. I have in the past Armorall'ed the bumpers and trim, but as I am sure many will agree... this sometimes takes a lot longer then a quick wash. I have considered painting, and I have scanned the posts and see many who have done it with Krylon plastic paint, or another product. However, what I see often is that someone completed the project, and it looks good... but how does it hold up over time. Does it need to be repainted often? I also see Back to Black and a product from 303 that is highly recommended, which may also require frequent upkeep. Here are my discussion points:
1. Is it better to paint or use a product such as the 303?
2. Is there another product that holds up better?
3. If painted, how does it hold up and/or how often do you touch up?
4. Which paint have you used? Flat, semi-gloss, glass? Have you tried a color?
5. If painted, how many coats? Clear coat? Does it scratch easily? Did you use an adhesion product?
6. Any other ideas?

Here is what my bumpers look like now:

The look like a gray chalky color.

Note the color has not faded on the mud flaps.

There is some scratching, to the almost normal color on the bumper.

In my experience, Armorall lasts about 2 weeks, then it starts to fade again. I started to buy the paint, but I wonder how often I will need to touch-up? I also have to wonder that if I paint, I am stuck with it. I know that I asked a lot of questions, but I think many will benefit from this really annoying problem.
So what are your thoughts?

#176138 - 08/11/06 06:13 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

What color would you paint it? Flat or glossy paint?

#176139 - 08/11/06 06:29 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did purchase flat black, bumper paint of course. I have not tried it yet, and my thought was that something that had some shine would be better. I thought I would use black on the roof and step parts. There is a charcoal gray that is about the same as the bumpers that I thought would be great as well. The other option of course is black, and then do I want some shine. I could also get a green color, close to the color of my X for a mono chromatic effect.

#176140 - 08/11/06 07:36 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think someone recentlly used a bed liner type sprayon to pretty up the plastic. do a search on it

#176141 - 08/11/06 07:45 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've found that semi-flat black works very well. Flat is too dull and you don't really want shiney on those parts. They're not smooth to begin with.

#176142 - 08/11/06 08:06 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have seen posts on the spray-on bedliner. That may be a durable alternative to the paint.

#176143 - 08/11/06 08:54 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

hmmm looks ashey! you should try some jergens with aloe! laugh . I'd go with a bed liner type product [ThumbsUp] It would be the most durable. [drink]

#176144 - 08/11/06 11:53 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did use bedliner (herculinr) however I did not prep the surface well and it has started to peel.. If you did it well and preped right it would be nice.

#176145 - 09/11/06 03:34 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Do whatever you're doing to the mudflap, it looks pretty good. wink

Seriously, before you paint, try using a protectant product, BUT...prep the plastic by cleaning it with a bug-scrubber pad and full-strength Simple Green. Spray on the SG and wash with the scrubber, then rinse VERY thoroughly (SG can leave spots otherwise). Avoid getting SG on your paint as best you can, won't hurt it but may strip wax.

Dry the plastic, then apply the protectant generously, letting it soak in well. Wipe off excess when you're done.

I've used this method since getting my truck in 2003 and the trim still looks great (except the *%$&#* grill, which looks like crap regardless of what I do).

#176146 - 09/11/06 04:13 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Southernx7 Offline

Loc: Sunny Florida
A few of us in SXFC have been using Krylon No-Skid paint. It's a textured paint that is less forgiving if you rub up against it than bedliner or herculiner. I've had it on all my trim pieces and bumpers for over a year now. It's held up great so far, with only a couple moderate touchups on the front bumper. It runs $4 a can and takes about 3 cans to cover what you need, but if you do it put cheapo flat black down first so you don't have to layer the No-Skid as heavy.
Good Luck.

#176147 - 09/11/06 05:30 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSky:
Do whatever you're doing to the mudflap, it looks pretty good. wink
).
I think the flaps are a different type of plastic.

linky to the bedliner post
http://www.xterraownersclub.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=004418#000001

#176148 - 09/11/06 07:27 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
GrayHam Offline

I love that color.

#176149 - 09/11/06 07:40 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Have considered the bedliner product(s) for the black parts, though I think that the dark gray would be nicer than black on the bumper and trim.

The mudflaps were actually added in 2002, so they are a couple of years newer. They either are different material, or they have not discolored yet. Either way, I pan to do something to everything as soon as I learn what may be the best option. I am okay with some maintience to keep up the appearance. But lest face it, I do not want to be putting on the Armorall (or other protectant) every week. Would rather have something that lasts longer, with less maintenance.

#176150 - 11/11/06 08:40 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am continuing my quest to determine the best solution for the heavily oxidized and discolored bumper/molding problem of my X. I have scoured the posts, and looked around elsewhere online, and I am still not sure of the best solution.

Tanking BlueSky's advise, I have tried the protectant route first. I purchased both Back to Black and the 303 Aerospace product. Incidentally, the 303 is expensive and difficult to find. Had to go to a boat shop, and for $14 a bottle. I was tempted to try some of the other products from the boat shop. I cleaned two corners of my rear bumper throughly with Simple Green and dried. I put Back to Black on one corner, and 303 on the other, following the direction on the bottle on both. The 303 section looked good wet, but returned the the oxidized color within a few minutes. B2B, however, soaked in well and held the restored color for about 24 hours. Then I started to see some spots of oxidation appear.

I just treated the area again, letting B2B soak in and then wiping off. When dry, I used 303 on top. The thought being is that it will help to last longer. Well see how it holds up for a day or two.

I took pics, but left my camera cable, so I will post when I get it back. Will also be able to post some of how it holds up. I suspect that the 303 my help to hold the color, but once gone another alternative needs to be used.

More to follow. I still welcome feedback.

#176151 - 11/11/06 09:08 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is my 2 cents...

I think line X would look great on those parts. It would be simple cuz you could pull em off and drop off the pieces.

#176152 - 15/11/06 07:18 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used this stuff about a month ago and it makes everything look like new. I didn't think something like this would work as well as it did. Painting would be more permanent but this could get you by. I'd say it lasted about 3-4 weeks before it started looking like crapola again.

Meguiar's Cold Class Trim Detailer

#176153 - 15/11/06 10:53 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Krash. This is where I am at thus far. I tried the Back to Black and 303 products as recommended by others. The 303 lasted about 10 minutes, the B2B lasted about a day. I then used B2B again, nice and think allowing time to set in. Then wiped and used 303 on top. The thought being that B2B would bring back color, then the 303 would seal it in. Here is where I am picture wise:

This was Black to Black after 24 hours.... starting to turn again

This is the second coat of B2B with the 303 Areospace seal. This is what I was looking to have, a nice rich color.

This is what it looked like today, after about 4 days. The color is starting to fade, and spots of white are showing again.

So here I am, stuck again. I am thinking that if I had used something like the 303, instead of Armorall, from the start, I may be okay. However, it is looking like once the oxidation color is set in, it is difficult to get it back. I may try the Meguiar's this weekend, but I am leaning toward paint at this point. The is a charcoal gray bumper paint that is available at Auto Zone. I am thinking I may also consider the skid-proof paint from Krylon for the steps.

I have seen so many others out there with this problem, especially in sunny locations, such as Florida and California. Any other thoughts guys?

#176154 - 15/11/06 11:05 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Man that Meguier's stuff is the way to go, that rich color you seen will stay with that stuff. I mean it got the nasty fading that happens on the top of the rear bumper. That stuff works so well I about crapped my pants. I kept an eye on it for about a week too thinking that I was seeing it fading when it wasn't. Then I lost interest when it got cold and school work took precedence. It'll last longer than a couple of days.

Here's a link to that stuff
http://www.meguiars.com/?car-trim-molding-care/Gold-Class-Trim-Detailer

#176155 - 16/11/06 08:31 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clean the plastic with a strong detergent to remove road grime and any oils, go to an autobody surplus and buy a proper trim paint with a flex agent and do it the correct way. You will be very happy with the results.

Besure to over-protect the areas you do not want painted or you will be spending an afternoon with a claybar.

#176156 - 18/11/06 07:27 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Regarding the 303 product, if memory serves it's a protective type thing and not a restorative, so if you use it from when the vehicle is new it will make a difference but if your plastic's faded it's not going to bring the color back.

#176157 - 18/11/06 07:28 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That was my experience, and I am sure it is very good (though a bit expensive). Had I used it when it was new (instead of armoral), I may not have this problem. Personally, I think Armoral may speed up the process if it is not used repeatedly. I am leaning toward painting the plastic, just have to decide on what to use.

#176158 - 18/11/06 08:07 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't like using the chemical stuff to help the plastic retain its color. It's expensive and a lot of work (wax on, wax off). I use the all-natural approach and have found that a nice light coating of dried mud works wonders against fading. Wash once a month and re-apply. [drink]

#176159 - 18/11/06 08:20 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by lykofos:
I don't like using the chemical stuff to help the plastic retain its color. It's expensive and a lot of work (wax on, wax off). I use the all-natural approach and have found that a nice light coating of dried mud works wonders against fading. Wash once a month and re-apply. [drink]
Exactly. Who said you had to keep an X new looking? A little mud does wonders

#176160 - 19/11/06 01:26 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

First of all, stop using that shit Armorall. Yea, you think it protects, but it destroys plastic and vinyl parts. It sucks moisture right out of it and leaves it dry and cracky like what you've got. Instead use STP Son of a Gun.

#176161 - 19/11/06 02:43 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by skaggs396:
First of all, stop using that shit Armorall. Yea, you think it protects, but it destroys plastic and vinyl parts. It sucks moisture right out of it and leaves it dry and cracky like what you've got. Instead use STP Son of a Gun.
Yea, I wished I would have know that when I started using the Armoral once a week when it was new. Now I am screwed, and will have to paint to get where I want to go. As for the mud, well... I do get out to play on occasion, though I am not much for the mud. Also, I live in the city, and muddy trails are few and far between. eek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal