2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176162 - 19/11/06 06:42 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anything with Petroleum Distillates, like Armor All, isn't good for plastics, rubber, or vinyl. It causes drying, rotting, and/or cracking. Whoever mentioned the flex paint for bumpers is right on. That's the only way to do it CORRECTLY. Everything else you'll try is just a temporary fix. But there is no way to avoid sun fading on the stock Xterra bumper pieces...it's just what happens over time. Armor All basically accelerates that process.

#176163 - 26/11/06 06:49 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

And the winner is..... I used paint... I picked up some bumper paint at Auto Zone. I also used the adhesion promoter, though the clerk said it was optional. I thought it could not hurt, and was less than $4 per can. Here is were I am at...

Before, the crap, faded, oxidized bumpers...

After the paint... looks new again....

another pic...

I am very happy with the result, it looks like new again. I actually need to paint the metal bumper now to match, though in person it actually looks better than in the pic. The color match is very close to stock, there were several options. The paint also appears to be very durable. I will complete the rest, then take some more pics. I removed the panels to paint, was not to difficult but took some time. Mostly because I put on about three coats of the adhesion promoter, followed by 3-4 coats of paint. I would recommend to anyone considering... paint it. I considered the Krylon colors, there is one that would actually match my green X. However, for now I am staying with the stock color scheme.

Now I just need to do the rest.

#176164 - 27/11/06 07:45 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Looks great!

Be sure to check in from time to time to let us know how it holds up.

Also, a paint manufacture and number off of the can that you used would be helpful towards helping other memembers with the same problems that you've encountered.

#176165 - 27/11/06 07:54 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Wow, very nice results! It does look just like new, even the color matches the factory plastic. [ThumbsUp]

#176166 - 29/11/06 08:34 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks for the compliments. As I said, it was much easier than anticipated and it looks really good. I have had a few friends that have stated that it looks like I got new bumpers. I have to share that the surface is not as smooth as before, but the color is a perfect match. The other alternatives I explored were the spray on bed-liners, and the Krylon Fusion, which you can get in different colors or textures.

However, I used the Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter and Bumper Coating. Both products were available at Advanced Auto Parts for about $4-5 per can. The Dark Charcoal appears to be in high demand. It was out of stock at a couple of locations, and I had the clerk call around to find a few cans. I used an entire can on the two side bumper panels, splash guards and rear step section. I think it was about 4 coats of paint in total. The color is the same as the stock color, so it is difficult to see the coverage. I applied a couple of coats of the adhesion promoter first to each section. It may not really be needed, but it could only help.

The bumper paint color is Dark Charcoal, part number FB109. They had a more silver grey color, and of course black. I suspect there are other colors available.

I plan to do the rest over the next week or so, and will post again once complete. I also plan to paint the black step sections on the step rail, but the screws are not coming out. A few of them just appear to spin, as if striped, and will not come out. May have to drill them out. Any suggestions?

Finally, since the big question is how will it hold, I will post again in a few months to report on durability.

#176167 - 29/11/06 12:15 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

[ThumbsUp]
Great right up! I am interested in seeing how this works out for you also.
I will have to do mine eventually as mine suffered this past summer

#176168 - 29/11/06 07:16 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Very nice write up! Thanks for following up with pictures as well as the specific paint that you used. Your mission turned out to be a real success! It looks great as now your bumpers match the rest of your X which is in great condition.

#176169 - 30/11/06 01:35 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
RedX Offline

Loc: Granite Falls, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by C man:
hmmm looks ashey! you should try some jergens with aloe! laugh
That actually made me chuckle a bit......And I don't do that often.
[ThumbsUp]

http://www.metzgardesign.com

#176170 - 03/01/07 09:54 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
ripcurl2151 Offline

Loc: NJ
i know i'm reviving a dead post, but i was just wondering how the paint has held up over a couple months

#176171 - 03/01/07 11:11 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

i've seen two different 05/06's around the socal area here that have body-matched the front and rear panels and i have to say it makes it look ALOT nicer. My only worry is with the paint adhering to the plastic without issues. I would love to have 'em rhino-lined or something, but i don't know how good a rough textured bed-liner type of material would be to keep clean. (just my two cents)

#176172 - 04/01/07 10:35 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by kilr xterra:
i've seen two different 05/06's around the socal area here that have body-matched the front and rear panels and i have to say it makes it look ALOT nicer. My only worry is with the paint adhering to the plastic without issues. I would love to have 'em rhino-lined or something, but i don't know how good a rough textured bed-liner type of material would be to keep clean. (just my two cents)
Nothing some soap, water, and armor-all can' take of. wink Seriously,I know a few people who have a spray in bed liner, and their method of cleanig out there truck bed is to pour on a mixture of simple green and water, scrub it with a push broom, and then hose it down. Then for added shine they use some armor-all. Looks great except the armor-all doesn't last that long. Recently some people have switch to F21 formerly known as Formula 2000 (neon green bottle) which lasts alot longer than armor-all. If your going to do just the bumpers, I think it would be just as easy to keep clean as your stock bumpers. Good Luck!

#176173 - 06/01/07 09:32 AM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Though you've probably done something by now, I have decided to just keep polishing the trim after washes after I read an earlier thread that mentioned he had to take all that crap off and put it back to paint and some of the brakets broke. Way too much hastle for me. Wash polish and cruise.

#176174 - 01/04/07 05:01 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here is my update a few months later....

For the most part, the paint has held up okay, and no more fading or need to use any additional products.

From the back it still looks factory, and good color match.

However on closer inspection, there is some spotting where the paint chipped. It is not too bad, but there are a few spots that could use some touch up. I assume a rock or something may have hit a weak spot on the paint.

From a distance it is not too bad.

Here is another clear chip.

Some fading in a small spot too.

Overall, I have been pretty happy. The paint seems to stick well for the most part. There may have been some areas that were not as clean, which may have affected the way paint will adhere to the plastic. I plan to do a little touch up, and see how it goes. Generally, I have been pretty happy, and I will post again after some touch up. However, I think in hindsight I may have just replaced the panels. The sell them on Xterra parts for about $32.00 each. May have been a quick easy way to fix the problem. I would also consider the under-coatings some others have posted.

#176175 - 05/04/07 09:28 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

wow looks awesome man, i may have to do that since the color match is almost perfect

#176176 - 08/04/07 02:20 PM Re: To paint or not to paint?
Anonymous
Unregistered

That looks like it worked very well but i have a question. What kind of paint would you suggest for putting on the actual metal bumper. I have a few nicks and scrapes i would like to touch up. Any suggestions?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal