2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176259 - 09/03/05 07:32 AM Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Recently I removed from my roof, the roof-mount basket and the air deflector that has Nissan written on it.

I was cleaning my car and I noticed on the roof now, where the rubber seal of the air deflector was, there is now a straight line of rust spots, paint chips, and just general paint damage.

I had thought I was cleaning adequately under there during these years, but apparently that was not the case.

Is this a common occurrence?

How/What is the method for going about to repair such a hideous transgression against my paint?

I'll see if I can get some pics in a day or so when I might be getting a digital camera.

Noobie001

#176260 - 09/03/05 07:44 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
There is supposed to be a clear tape on there where the rubber touches to protect the paint.. does yours not have that?

#176261 - 09/03/05 07:50 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

No, there was no clear tape as far as I can tell.

No residual tape or glue residue that would suggest tape was there at on on the roof or the rubber piece.

Noobie001

#176262 - 09/03/05 08:08 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
I can't believe they left the spare and took the damn tape!

mad

laugh

I took that crap off within a week of getting the X home...and the tape is still there...no damage.

Compounding the area to clean it up and better see the damage would be a good start...some POR 15, etc...to get into rust pits to neutralize them...some primer over the damage, and some touch up paint over the primer should do it.

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#176263 - 09/03/05 08:12 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

I ended up taking the basket off, because it's easier to clean. I used meguiar's scratch and contaminant cleaner wax, after 2 or 3 times most the dirt and rust comes off. Or try the claybar technique that everyone has discussed a million times.

#176264 - 09/03/05 12:12 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

What is POR 15?

Never repaired the paint other then touch up. I was browsing through the Haynes Manual and saw the chapter on repair though it looked a bit more involved then I probably am prepared or able to go solo for now.

After reading that more thoroughly, I'll probably have a clearer understanding of what compounding is [Too much XOC]

As for the claybar, I know it's used for some situations for paint problems but that is about it. I just see people say use it.

I wonder if it is worth complaining to my dealership about. I really hope they develop a self-healing paint soon.

Noobie001

#176265 - 09/03/05 01:26 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
TJ Offline

Loc: Lawrenceville, NJ, USA
POR15 is a liquid that you apply to rusty areas...it chemically reacts with the rust, neutralizing it, and forming a tough black coating....if there's no rust, it won't react, and it won't cure.

That means that you can apply it to an area with rust spots, and it will only coat the rusted spots, and you can wipe off the excess from the intact areas.

laugh

Pep Boys carries it for example.

Compounding involves the use of a car wax like mixture that contains microscopic abrasives...and you are essentially sanding the paint with a very very fine grit. (Fine enough that the surface becomes shiny looking, rather than scratched looking)

(Also at PepBoys, etc.)

laugh

2001 Xterra '03 VG33, SE 5 spd, 305/70/16's, Revolvers, UBSkidderz, Doubled AAL's, 3"SL/2"BL, winch/bumpers, skids, sliders, OBA, Snorkel, pine stripes....

Friends don't let friends drive stock.

http://www.gifsoup.com/view/501230/tj-tackling-crawlers-ridge-o.gif

#176266 - 09/03/05 02:26 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
sandmanX Offline

Loc: Ridgecrest California
POR15 eh? I'm going to have to try that out. Thanx.

#176267 - 09/03/05 03:29 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks TJ.

So would the step be to POR 15 first. Then use the compound mixture followed by primer. Just wanted to be sure how you handle the POR 15 black coating that has reacted with rust.

I figure the roof is a good place to get some expierence with this, and if I mess up I can cover it up. Don't really think I can make things too much worse, and if so, I can always cover it up.

Thanks again.

Noobie001

#176268 - 09/03/05 05:08 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Richard Krenn Offline

Loc: Mount Vernon, WA, USA
This is a known problem, Click for Nissan TSB , see if your dealer will fix it for free.

Richard

#176269 - 09/03/05 05:47 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Noobie001-
Quote:
How/What is the method for going about to repair such a hideous transgression against my paint?
TJ-
Quote:
I can't believe they left the spare and took the damn tape! mad

Nissans trying to screw you too? Don't know who to call? Call Joe, Joe McCarthy laugh .
He won't let the big guys keep ya' down. He'll fight for your rights as an consumer helping to squander thousnads of dollars and hours in the Justice system.
Go get 'em Joe wink [ThumbsUp] .

#176270 - 10/03/05 07:08 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks Richard, gonna print out a copy of that TSB and talk to the people at the dealership in person.

Noobie001

#176271 - 10/03/05 10:53 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

What's the build date of your Xterra? It's on the door jamb sticker.
Nissan started applying the tape at the factory at some point during the 2000 model year production, so I assume yours is one of the earlier ones. Mine had it and was built in 3/00.

#176272 - 10/03/05 11:48 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

08/99 is the date.

I just wonder if they knew it was issue, took steps to correct it, then how come the dealer didn't alert me or check it out when having it serviced.

Noobie001

#176273 - 10/03/05 02:30 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Quote:
Originally posted by Noobie001:
08/99 is the date.

I just wonder if they knew it was issue, took steps to correct it, then how come the dealer didn't alert me or check it out when having it serviced.

Noobie001
A TSB doesn't require a dealer to proactively fix something. Its just a written fix for an issue that a customer complains about. No complaint, no fix. wink

#176274 - 10/03/05 10:32 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

I see.

Well, considering the nature of this issue, I would expect a quality dealership to take that extra step for me. Customer service in my opinion is not soley reactive, but should also be proactive.

After the TSB was issued, it would be simple matter to check X's for the lack of any paint protection (which I had) during servicing.

I just feel betrayed! They and I (for not noticing sooner) have let me down. As I stare into the gruesome inefficacious that is the paint chips and small rust spots I begin to weep for Lord Hollingsworth. I too know what it feels like to have diseased and injured flesh that needs to be treated.

By the way, who would you all suggest would be the best person to speak to about this issue? I purchased my vehicle there, have it serviced there , and truely do feel that the extra step should have been taken for me. Not to mention the other screw-ups and half-ass jobs they have inflicted on me.

Noobie001

#176275 - 10/03/05 10:36 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

This is an example from my actual invoice for the 30k service.

Complaint:

Customer states there is a rattle coming from under the truck under acceleration

Solution:

Rattle is coming from loose liscense plate. Tightend plate.

When I read that at the service desk, I laughed out loud. I knew damn well that's not what it was and turns out I was right. I told the service rep that I would not be able to leave my vehicle at that time and I would address this on my next visit.

Noobie001

#176276 - 12/03/05 05:35 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

This problem was discovered on the original X's and discussed quite a bit back in the day on the unofficial xterra bulletin board. You have to tell the dealer about it and they should repair the paint job and put the protective tape on. Nissan took care of this problem with the 2001 and later models.

#176277 - 12/03/05 10:08 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Nissan took care of this problem with the 2001 and later models.
I don't consider it an adequate solution, to knowingly allow ones to expierence this problem, without taking steps to notify them. It's tantamount to allowing patients to die or suffer from sickness that could easily have been prevented, while vaccinating future patients. Hardly a solution by any measure.

I was not aware of TSB's. I was not aware that this was issue. I was not aware that the purchase of vehicle meant that I would need to do the dealerships job for them in this regard. I expected a bit of customer service that was proactive instead of reactive.

Now I know, and will be better prepared to deal with the inadequate service of said dealerships and companies. I know I will consider my next vehicle purchase very carefully and will take this matter into account when choosing if I want to purchase another Nissan product.

Once again, who would you all suggest would be the best person to speak to about this issue? Think calling, a well written letter, or speaking to them in person should be the first step?

Noobie001

#176278 - 12/03/05 06:00 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

even though they put the tape under it its still an isue on our 2003 the same thing was haoppening but i caught it and it was still only groving the clear coat and not eating in to the metal.. when the vehicle was sitting the air dam set directly on the tape but evidently it flexed enough going down the road that the back of the rubber strip was wearing into the car i put a second row of tape on it....

#176279 - 12/03/05 07:39 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

sorry if I havn't read all the post and the question was already answered, the tape under the wind deflector is just clear 3M tape, I'm sure you can get it at the dealer, actually the earl 2000 production did not have this tape on the roof. They started adding it late 2000 year.

I think the tape is pretty durable I've lost the rubber strip that is on the bottom of the deflector and the plastic was smacking the roof of the truck for about 60 miles at highway speed, no cuts in the tape. (picked up a new rubber strip at the dealer asap though)

#176280 - 13/03/05 07:39 AM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by sinarX:
I've lost the rubber strip that is on the bottom of the deflector and the plastic was smacking the roof of the truck for about 60 miles at highway speed, no cuts in the tape. (picked up a new rubber strip at the dealer asap though)
how can it hit without the rubber strip when thats off there is about a 1/8 or larger gap..

#176281 - 13/03/05 02:32 PM Re: Roof Air Thingy That Says Nissan - Damage to Pain
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here are some images of what it looks like on my vehicle.

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Noobie001

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal