Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176408 - 09/05/01 05:47 AM Zymol Japon?
SpaceAce77 Offline

Loc: Bethpage, NY
Was cruising the net last night...Found a site where they sell all sorts of fancy-shmancy waxes...One wax by a company called Pinnacle - 60 bucks a can!!! Has like 9 different types of caranuba waxes in it, supposedly...

I also saw a wax made by Zymol, went for 40 bucks a can, supposedly formulated specifically for Japanese cars...Said that the paint on JPNS cars is flourine-based, and very thin...I want my X to look its' absolute bestest (:, but 40-60 beans for wax?!? I dunno, whadda you guys think?

------------------

#176409 - 09/05/01 05:52 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
The problem with Zymol is that it's a cleaner polish. Meaning, it has abrasives in it. Otherwise I've heard very good things about it.

------------------
Eric Konarske & Lara, my X
'01 Solar Yellow XE 3 Pk. 4x4

#176410 - 09/05/01 06:17 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Loc: Alexandria, Virginia
Most Zymol stuff is pretty good, tho I've never used their wax. Their leather and vinyl cleaners/conditioners are really good. If you're not sure, stick with what you knew (Meguiars or whatever you are currently satisfied with). When it comes to wax, I use the ol "If ain't broke then don't fix it" theory". I just stay with ha always worked for me.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#176411 - 09/05/01 08:52 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
BoarderPhreak Offline

Loc: Huntington, NY
There's only ONE caranuba wax... Either it is, or it isn't.

Save your shekels and get proven stuff like Meguiars or Mothers.

------------------
01 SE 6cyl 5spd Solar Yellow

#176412 - 09/05/01 09:57 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
ILUVMYX Offline

If you're lookin' to make your truck look its best, try Zaino. I can't personally endorse it yet, but I've heard enough about it to at least give it a try. I ordered some and I'll let you know how that goes.

------------------

#176413 - 09/05/01 10:23 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Zymol makes good products. They have a full line of waxes, cleaner and non-cleaner. Some are very expensive. I tried a sample on my other (non-clearcoat) vehicle and it worked quite well. Some of their ad copy goes over the edge tho.
There are many grades of carnauba wax - from unrefined 'brazil wax' to #1 grade. It is also used in industrial applications as a mold release. There is even a special FDA approved grade that is used to 'polish' pills so they will go down easier. There is nothing very "exotic" about carnauba - it is sold in bulk or the special grades are sold by chemical supply houses.
http://www.strohmeyer.com/carn.htm

Carnauba wax is often formulated with other waxes, natural or synthetic, depending on the final application.

dave and Xtoy - not candle wax

------------------

#176414 - 09/05/01 10:42 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Eric -
Good luck with the Zaino. Some users like it alot. Others object because - multi step application with several products and long 'dry' times. Total of two days or more for first treatment. Since the final finish is multi layer, tending to light scratches, like from a thin branch, is a PITA. You literally have to start from (pardon the pun) scratch.
It's worth a try tho - let us know how it works out after you've lived with it for a while. My shelf is too full right now, still have a can of liquid glass to toss out.

dave and Xtoy - whatever works for you

------------------

#176415 - 09/05/01 11:12 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Meguiars is the only way to go. Ever since PNUT showed me this product I am hooked.

------------------
http://www.gpxo.org

#176416 - 10/05/01 10:22 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
airbutchie Offline

Loc: Where the freakin' Rose Parade...
WORD!!! Meguiar's All The Way!!! PEACE!!!

- Mic Check 1-2 1-2 Air Butchie in D'HOUSE!!

------------------
Xterra 2001 SE 4x2
Air Butchie Productions
Is that an Xterra in your pocket or are you just glad to see me!!

#176417 - 10/05/01 10:39 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
ILUVMYX Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveDatsun:
Some users like it alot. Others object because - multi step application with several products and long 'dry' times.

Yeah, I've definitely heard the down side too, but the people who've raved about it--from many different car clubs--say the finished product is like nothing else. So, like you said, it's worth a try.

BTW, I only ordered the Z1 and Z2. There are a bunch of other steps if you want to go all the way. I'll see how this goes first.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ILUVMYX (edited 05-10-2001).]

#176418 - 10/05/01 06:55 PM Re: Zymol Japon?
Carl Offline

Loc: San Pedro, Ca
I ONLY use Zymol on my X. They have many other wax products besides their cleaner/Wax. Go to their site and check their product line, it's pretty impressive.

------------------
-Carl
Silver XE 4x4
5-Speed

#176419 - 10/05/01 07:23 PM Re: Zymol Japon?
Bill H Offline

Loc: Northern NJ USA
Hey Gang,

I bought and used Zymol before I heard about Maguires. I don't know what products are in their line but what I used was a Carnuba based liquid wax. Being a light blue colored liquid it does not last as long as a paste but I am not rubbing it in either which cuts down on the scratching. I'm going on 3 weeks from original waxing and I am very pleased with it. It was fairly inexpensive - about $10 for the bottle. I bought a couple of the application pades for $1.99 to apply the wax with. I did not notice it scratching, removing any clearcoat or paint. I would not hesitate to use it again. When I run out I will try Maguires.

------------------
2001 Xterra 4x4 SE Yellow

#176420 - 13/05/01 03:31 PM Re: Zymol Japon?
Bill H Offline

For those of you interested, I waxed my truck this weekend. The driver's side was done with Zymol and the passengers side done with the Mother's. Both contained the Carnuba. I was disappointed with the Mothers. I'll stick with the Zymol until I can get the Maguires.

------------------

#176421 - 14/05/01 06:51 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Save your money on the Zaino stuff. It doesn't dry (took mine over 24 hrs to dry and the Zaino people said "that's normal"), it's way over priced, and there's like a hundred stps you have to go through to make it work. It's ovepriced junk basically. Reminds me of that infomercial a long time ago where the guy with the British accent put lighter fluid on the hood of a car and lit it on fire to demonstrate how "protective" the wax was. Same crap as Zaino.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#176422 - 14/05/01 06:51 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

Save your money on the Zaino stuff. It doesn't dry (took mine over 24 hrs to dry and the Zaino people said "that's normal"), it's way over priced, and there's like a hundred stps you have to go through to make it work. It's ovepriced junk basically. Reminds me of that infomercial a long time ago where the guy with the British accent put lighter fluid on the hood of a car and lit it on fire to demonstrate how "protective" the wax was. Same crap as Zaino.

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#176423 - 14/05/01 06:51 AM Re: Zymol Japon?
Cygnus-X1 Offline

------------------
01 SE 4x4
Silver Ice

#176424 - 15/05/01 01:55 PM Re: Zymol Japon?
splitcane Offline

Loc: greensboro NC USA
Zaino .....It took me 20 minutes to wash and dry my X , 20 minutes to apply the polish lock (step one), 20 minutes to apply the polish (step 2) , 60 minutes to wait for the polish to dry to a haze while I mowed the lawn , and then 20 minutes to wipe the Zaino off ..... simply the best finish ever. Zaino is all I will use on my vehicles from now on.
I bet I have tried a dozen other brands. No, I don't work for Zaino !!!!!

------------------

#176425 - 20/05/01 08:19 PM Re: Zymol Japon?
Bill H Offline

Hey Gang,

I think you may be confusing two different products here. If you look at the original post it discusses Zymol not Zaino.

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal