Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176471 - 21/03/06 11:50 AM Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently bought a Silver '06 X.
Since it is new, I was wondering what people recommend as a good wax for the vehicle (no swirl marks yet, or anything). I work in NYC, so there is plenty of dirt and smog to deal with. I don't know much about types of protectants/waxes and have never touched a buffing wheel or done any sort of detailing. Just looking for a simple to use protectant that will also bring out a nice shine.
I have read people mentioning Meguiar's and Zymol. I see Meguiar's has quite a few waxes though. Any help with keeping my new X looking new and bringing out even more shine is really appreciated.

Also, what about tire dressings...I have heard that certain ones are actually bad for the tires?

Thaks guys. smile

#176472 - 21/03/06 12:30 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

In my own experience, I've found nothing better than Zaino products.

#176473 - 21/03/06 01:39 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnC:
In my own experience, I've found nothing better than Zaino products.
I looked at www.zainostore.com and read their application page quickly. With a new Silver X, out of all their products, what do you think I might need? Thanks!

#176474 - 21/03/06 03:13 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I only use Mequiars products here. You will get many different answers to your question. Go to the store and buy a brand and give it a try. If you don't like it, switch to something else. Everyone likes something different. I do not like Zaino, but that is all my brother uses and his vehicle looks as good as mine. JMO

#176475 - 21/03/06 04:23 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
silverxglider Offline

Loc: Andes, NY
I tried various carnauba waxes including Meguiar's and Mothers but now use Zymol, mainly because it's the easiest to apply and wipe off. I am NOT a fan of washing and waxing. It seems to last a long time and smells good too.

Avoid Armorall like the plague.

#176476 - 21/03/06 07:51 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffo65:
I only use Mequiars products here. You will get many different answers to your question. Go to the store and buy a brand and give it a try. If you don't like it, switch to something else. Everyone likes something different. I do not like Zaino, but that is all my brother uses and his vehicle looks as good as mine. JMO
My question though is more of is it just a simple wash and wax, or do I really need all these sealers and protectants and what not? I realize everyone has their opinions on brands, but I am looking for the basics first. This car won't be used for shows or anything, just everyday driving through dirty places mostly on road with some minor off-roading once in a while. Lots of smog, road filth, and stuff that can only be found around areas of NYC. but hopefully with a good shine and good enough protection that the paint still looks as good as possible in the long run (without going crazy detailing the thing every other day). smile
Are there things to avoid with this new vehicle like certain types of waxes or tire dressings that may cause more harm than certain other types? Thanks!

#176477 - 22/03/06 03:41 AM Re: Cleaning a new car
mav63 Offline

Loc: DC
Just buy the Meguiar's Gold Wax paste. If you start buying all the sealants, polishes, protectants, you'll get addicted and you'll never stop. Trust me! :p

Forgot to mention- The "new" Armor All Original Formula is better than ever and will do just fine on your tires.

#176478 - 22/03/06 04:10 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by mav63:
Just buy the Meguiar's Gold Wax paste.
Me too. Simple carnuba wax.

There is no way in hell I would Zaino an X. A Miata, sure - the X - are you insane? Has to be 7-10 times as much surface area on the X...

#176479 - 22/03/06 08:06 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Quote:
Originally posted by DocNo:
Quote:
Originally posted by mav63:
[b]Just buy the Meguiar's Gold Wax paste.
Me too. Simple carnuba wax.

There is no way in hell I would Zaino an X. A Miata, sure - the X - are you insane? Has to be 7-10 times as much surface area on the X...[/b]
DOH! My stuff arrived today from Zaino. My paint hasn't been quite right from day one, probably because (I found out later) it was built in July and sat at the dealer till I bought it the next March. [Freak] Doesn't look bad, just looks like there's always contamination on the paint.

I'm going to clay bar it and use the Zaino to see how it comes out. I'll post before and after pics.

#176480 - 22/03/06 08:48 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
terrax -
Just because a product works well on one color X, does not mean it will work well on an X with a different color paint. So don't heaitate to try more than one wax/polish.
For a starting point, nu-finish gives a long lasting results. For a great shine, try Meguiar's NXT wax. http://www.meguiars.com/?liquid-car-waxes/NXT-Generation-Tech-Wax
The down side is that it does not last real long. I've used both products on my silver Armada with good results. While on the Meguiars site, try their Rx service. http://www.meguiars.com/rx/rx_main.asp
For your tires use Wesley's Bleach-White to clean the grey/brown grunge from the rubber. Wear gloves and don't get it on the wheels or paint. Follow-up with Meguiars Endurance. It is an excellent tire dressing.
http://www.meguiars.com/?tire-care/Gold-Class-Endurance

dave and atank - enjoy your new ride smile

#176481 - 23/03/06 06:20 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. Period.

#176482 - 26/03/06 10:41 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

how long after buying a new car should you wait to wax it up?

#176483 - 27/03/06 05:44 AM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've never done anything more than use a high pressure hose to rinse off the heavy mud and dirt.

I'm just gonna get it filthy again so...fuk it! I like it dirty. [Finger]

#176484 - 27/03/06 09:48 AM Re: Cleaning a new car
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Quote:
Originally posted by juslovit:
how long after buying a new car should you wait to wax it up?
Your factory paint is fully cured chemically and by using heated ovens. In addition, it can take 30 to 90 days for a vehicle to get from the factory to your garage - so it's OK to use non abrasive wax anytime.
After re-paint at a body shop it's not unusual to wait 30 to 90 days before waxing. They cannot use ovens like the factory. That issue is what seems to be the reason for some confusion.

dave and atank - waxed out the desert pinstripes

#176485 - 17/04/06 03:53 PM Re: Cleaning a new car
Anonymous
Unregistered

I used to be a zaino whore...that was with my other "pretty" cars, with the X, I think a good wax is just fine...especially on a light silver color...even the best waxes are just the same on light silver.

Now if you have a highly reflective color like black or the night armor...then it will take some effort and zaino could be a tad better...but in the end, like the other guy, its $$$, and I didnt think it was worth it anymore. the grape smell is nice wink

im sticking with gold class on my night armor and think itll be just fine..1 or 2 waxes a year...should be a BIG chore too.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal