2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176493 - 10/04/01 07:07 AM 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
SpaceAce77 Offline

Loc: Bethpage, NY
Hey:

Checked out the Meguiars web site. They detail a four step program...Wash, Clear Coat prep/swirl reducer, Deep Crystal system polish, and Clear Coat Wax.

I've only had my truck, it will be a week today...Is the Clear Coat Prep thing necessary? Also, when applying these things, is there any sort of time frame that I need to wait, or can I just go one after the other? I'm a total newbie at this stuff, and I've never had a "brand new" vehicle, so I wanna make sure I'm doing this right...Thanks!

------------------

#176494 - 10/04/01 07:27 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
mindie Offline

Loc: Portland, OR
As I understand it, the Step 1 (Paint prep/cleaner) is not always necessary. I think the recommendation is to use it twice a year - in the spring and in the fall. Don't worry about this spring. Start in the fall.

As far as applying the things, put the first on, take it off, put the second on, take it off, etc. There's no reason (that I know of) to wait in between applications of the various products. You may want to apply and remove the polish/wax/etc in sections because the X is so large.

Someone be sure to jump in if anything I've said is inaccurate!

------------------
Mindie - AIM: mindiejoynt
2001 Silver Ice, 4x4 Auto SE

#176495 - 10/04/01 07:36 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
rob in Austin Offline

Loc: the womb of an angry jackal
Dude,

I don't know how well your X was prepped, i.e, detailed. Mine had a shweeet coat of wax/polish on it (purchased in November) and I am only now going to engage in the Meguairs thing. Even through the winter water beaded up and the finish felt slick to the touch. I too will skip #1 and go straight to polish then wax. Mindie's right except I'd add I've heard it's recommended to use a different applicator for each step.

------------------
"Xterra Pride"
"all your thigh are belong to us"

#176496 - 10/04/01 08:01 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
mindie Offline

Yeah, I forgot to mention that even though I do do it. (He, he, I said doo-doo ) I always use a clean applicator and a clean remover cloth.

------------------

#176497 - 10/04/01 08:42 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
defibvt Offline

Loc: AZ
Always, always use a different applicator for each step. Don't save them either. When your done with one get rid of it. They are cheap to buy, and you don't want to grind in any contaniments or dust that it picks up on the next wax.

------------------
There is a fine line between "addiction" and obsession".

Come join us http://members.home.net/gpxo/

#176498 - 10/04/01 01:27 PM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
Xrugger Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
What do you guys use for an aplicator? I used a couple of new terry cloth towels. and the a cuople more to buff with.

Is there a better choice?

------------------
Joe
No Officer, I'm not naked. I'm wearing my Xterra.

#176499 - 10/04/01 05:55 PM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
mindie Offline

I can't remember the brand, but I've been using these little terry cloth covered foam pads (the foam inside is supposed to soak up extra wax) for applying, and I buff with normal terry cloth towels. There seems to be a big debate about whether terry cloth is good to use - I've never had any trouble with it.

------------------

#176500 - 11/04/01 05:43 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Mindie -
Here's the story on terry cloth towels - Check The Label. Many towels are a blend of cotton and synthetic fibers. Some synthetic fibers can scratch the paint.
OK, the label says 100% cotton. Here are a few more cautions. Be aware that products from 'off shore' may not have labels that are, shall we say, totally honest. Domestic towels are a better bet. Even then, the label itself and the edge stiching could be synthetic - cut them off.
A further note. When you wash 'car' towels, do not use fabric softner. There are reports that a residue remains that can leave streaks, be abrasive or interfear with the product you are using.

dave and Xtoy - sorry if that was more than you wanted to know

------------------

#176501 - 11/04/01 06:17 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
mindie Offline

Thanks for the info Dave! I appreciate it.

------------------

#176502 - 25/04/01 09:04 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
Griffin2020 Offline

Loc: D/FW Metroplex, TX
If you are able to find the clear coat swirl remover, pick it up, bacause I have been searching for it since I bought my X, and have not been able to find it. See, I bought mine used, and its previous owner did not love it like I do, so the paint on the hood needs some major work (plus environmental stuff here does not help)....

------------------

#176503 - 25/04/01 10:57 AM Re: 4 Step Program from Meguiars?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Grif -
Don't go crazy searching the stores - order direct. Check Meguiar's web site or call
1-800-545-3321. There are products available that you will never find in the stores.

dave and Xtoy - save your gas

------------------

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal