Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176614 - 21/11/06 10:26 PM removing swirl marks from paint...
Anonymous
Unregistered

on a black finish, my 05 xterra is showing swirls on the paint. what is the best way to take those off...........waxing by hand or using a buffer??? can anyone recomend a site that will step by step on removing swirl from paint finish without destroying the paint. thanks...

#176615 - 22/11/06 02:06 AM Re: removing swirl marks from paint...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Try Zaino. Worked great for me. Not cheap initally as you really need the whole kit, but works really well on black.
Zaino Data Link

#176616 - 22/11/06 05:31 AM Re: removing swirl marks from paint...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a green X, but I too have the swirl marks. I am considering the Zaino products, but have also look at Maguires. They have a three step product that looks to be good. Regardless, they have some online video that may help answer your questions.

#176617 - 22/11/06 07:30 AM Re: removing swirl marks from paint...
BlueSky Offline

Loc: Georgia
Get it polished by a pro with a random orbital buffer. This is from another XOC thread, where I posted ref problems with my paint:

>>
Problem:
My X is a 2002 SE in Cloud White. The paint has what appears to be some acid rain etching on the hood, roof, and hatch. Unfortunately, it sat outside at the dealer for months before I bought it.

In addition, the paint gets filthy very easily with grime that's very hard to remove. I recently removed the rack and the difference between the paint under the rack mounts and the rest of the vehicle was startling to say the least. Obviously the "protected" paint should look better but the rest of it looks dirty gray in comparison.

Dawn cleans the finish reasonably well but there's still dirt that almost looks like it's in the clear coat. I've used clay bars and cleaner waxes but can't seem to get a decent result, especially on the hood. Perhaps I need to try a more abrasive polish?

Result:
Al, a local XOC member (mav63) who does detailing on the side contacted me and we arranged to meet and polish up my paint. Al had a rough afternoon what with the heat index being over 100 degrees but he stuck with it and the difference is amazing.

The entire truck has a shine and depth of color it didn't even have new. It just looks great.

Had I known what a difference polishing could make I would have made the dealer do it back when I first got the X.
<<

P.S. Same guy just polished my wife's "new" 2003 Acura, which we just bought used. It had major car wash swirl marks in the clearcoat but now it looks terrific. A professional polishing should definitely remedy your problem and you'll have a clean, smooth surface that you can wax and protect.

#176618 - 22/11/06 07:49 AM Re: removing swirl marks from paint...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Meguires NXT Wax. Stip prep and wax! Made an old black BMW of mine look NEW.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal