Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 103 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#176855 - 15/06/03 10:34 PM Who had the Detailer's Cart?
X-Fire Offline

Loc: Jacksonville, Florida
Someone on here did. It was yellow, had a bunch of detailing supplies and stuff on it, etc. I tried searching but I can't find it. I'd like to know where to get it and how much $. Thanks.

#176856 - 16/06/03 05:20 AM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
Bogatyr Offline

Loc: Averill Park NY, USA
X-Fire,
It wasn't me, but I used to get the Griot's Garage catalog and they have something that looks like this:
Griot\'s Expensive Car Cleaning Stuff
I don't have any personal experience with this stuff and don't know anyone who uses it. But I wouldn't mind trying some of their wax at some point. This seems like a lot of money to me, but compared to paying someone to "detail" your car, it's prolly a bargain.
Bogatyr
1966 Land Rover IIa 109" 35k

#176857 - 16/06/03 08:33 AM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
RckyMtnHi Offline

Loc: Somewhere in CO
I used Griots Best of Show wax, clay, and Speed Shine on my black 4Runner and it worked awesome. I have not detailed my X yet since I just bought it, but I did just buy the Porter Cable buffer this week and plan on claying, polishing, and waxing the X this weekend. I will let you all know how it goes, but many 4Runner owners have done this and their results are amazing. A really good resource for detailing your rig is http://www.pnw4runners.com/tando/wax/wax.htm. This guy knows his stuff and I plan on following it to a T when I bust out the Porter Cable this weekend.

Enjoy!

#176858 - 30/06/03 11:40 AM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
RckyMtnHi Offline

Well My dad and I spent 6 hours Sunday detailing the outside of his Maxima and my X. Washed, power clayed, power polished, power waxed. Looks incredible. If you have an afternoon I would highly recommend this. It is only neccesary twice a year at most with the usual washing and waxing inbetween.

#176859 - 30/06/03 11:47 PM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
ClaptoVaughn Offline

Loc: Southern California
i have a friend who uses a claybar (forgot actual term) but it's used during the pre-wax stage. how effective is that and how much does it cost?
i have a problem keeping the windows clean. i've tried newspapers and terry cloths, but i always end up with streaks?
what're your guys' secrets for washing windows? it's also a safety issue as my swirls sometimes reflect light oddly and hinders my night vision.

#176860 - 01/07/03 05:24 AM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
Bogatyr Offline

Loc: Averill Park NY, USA
ClaptoVaugh,
For windows, I'll just use whatever cleaner is handy (Windex, Zep, store brand...doesn't matter) and black & white newspaper. If I do get any streaks, it's because there was some spooge on the glass and I clean it again. After doing the inside and out, I'll finish with some RainX on the outside...wow, you can hardly tell there's glass in front of you.
I've heard of people also using Stoner's Invisible Glass or some such...but I have no reason to change...it just takes elbow grease and newspaper.
Bogatyr
1966 Land Rover IIa 109" 35k

#176861 - 01/07/03 07:41 AM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
RckyMtnHi Offline

I have found that the haze that builds up on windows is due to the use of Armor All. I personally hate Armor All and stopped using it a couple years ago. Since then I have not had a problem with streaking on my windows using a variety of glass cleaners and RainX.

#176862 - 01/07/03 07:49 AM Re: Who had the Detailer's Cart?
RckyMtnHi Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Bogatyr:
ClaptoVaugh,
For windows, I'll just use whatever cleaner is handy (Windex, Zep, store brand...doesn't matter) and black & white newspaper. If I do get any streaks, it's because there was some spooge on the glass and I clean it again. After doing the inside and out, I'll finish with some RainX on the outside...wow, you can hardly tell there's glass in front of you.
I've heard of people also using Stoner's Invisible Glass or some such...but I have no reason to change...it just takes elbow grease and newspaper.
Bogatyr
Basically what the clay does is get all of the contaminants off of your paint. No matter how clean you think your rig is, it is not totally clean until you use clay. When you use it, you can feel the difference by running the backside of your hand over an area that has had it and one that hasn't. It is like glass vs paper. You can also see all of the crap that you are taking off in the clay.

Since this is a tedious process even with the Porter Cable, I only plan on doing it twice a year, once before the summer and once before the winter. My dads Maxima went from gray to black again, he was very pleased.

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal