Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#179448 - 30/01/06 04:15 PM painting.. help
Anonymous
Unregistered

alright i have recently purchased new tires. and have decided to keep the factory rims. what could i use to paint them like a flat black or teh black of the rock crawlers. If at all possible id like to do it myself and save me some money. i would like to do it relatively cheap and have it be durable, and easy to touch up.

#179449 - 30/01/06 06:05 PM Re: painting.. help
Anonymous
Unregistered

try using "porr 15"
its $$$, but man it sticks to anything and is hard to take off.

make sure you wear gloves when applying.

#179450 - 30/01/06 06:17 PM Re: painting.. help
Anonymous
Unregistered

I painted mine about 2 months ago and they still look great.I used automotive primer,black lacquer spray cans (or enamel would actually be better) and then clear coated them.Just scuff them up with 150 grit paper first to remove the factory clear coat. web page [URL=[IMG] http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c211/dean7276/Thanksgiving05-xterrarims060.jpg

#179451 - 31/01/06 11:38 AM Re: painting.. help
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
Good prep is the secret to a good paint job. Your stock wheels are already coated. If there are any spots where the coating is damaged you'll have to pay special attention to those areas.
Rough up the surface with sandpaper or steel wool. To remove any waxes or oil from the surface, wipe down with 'prep sol' - a pre-painting cleaner. Then wipe with a tack cloth to remove any dust. Mask off the tires. Get automotive grade spray paint and primer. Make sure to prime any damaged spots. Use several light coats of whatever color you want. Paint in a well lit ventilated apot. Allow time for the paint to dry.

dave

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal