Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#180152 - 24/11/02 07:36 PM What should I use to get rid of these spots?
loopit Offline

Loc: Annapolis, MD
Below are two pics of how my entire X looks. I was about to wax it and tried using Meguiar's Step 1 (Paint Cleaner) and vinegar and water but it didn't even make a difference. These pics were taken after I tried removing them.

What is the best thing to use to get rid of the spots? Mequiar's Body Scrub or Clay Magic's Clay Bar? What about for the windows? The same thing or should I use a razor?

Once I get this stuff off I was planning on using Mequiar's Step 1 (Paint Cleaner), Step 2 (Polish), and their Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax. Is this a good choice?

#180153 - 24/11/02 07:51 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
UTJMAC Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
If the clay bar wont get it off, I don't know what will. I work at an industrial facility and routinely have lime deposits on my truck. Clay bar your entire truck, put a good coat of wax onit, and keep it clean. It look like its going to take some elbow grease to get that deposit off.
John

#180154 - 24/11/02 08:06 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
loopit Offline

Thanks for the info. How much are the clay bars? Do I need to get the kit or just the bar? Will one do the job or will I need more?

Best Regards,

Jeff

#180155 - 24/11/02 09:41 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
If the clay bar doesn't work you can try the low speed orbital buffer with the wool bonnet and some MILD rubbing compound. If you want to spend the $ the 3M stuff is the best otherwise get the turtle wax rubbing compound in the white tub. Any other type will screw up the clear coat. I just did this today with my Desert Runner to take out some good scratches and it worked quite well. Just be sure to put a good coat of wax on it afterwords.

#180156 - 25/11/02 09:45 AM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
DaveDatsun Offline

Loc: Sahuarita, AZ
loopit -
Those are nasty water/mineral marks. I'd suggest you contact Meguiars directly:

http://www.meguiars.com/customer_care/

You can call them and if need be, e-mail the photos. They should have products/methods to solve your problem.

dave and xtoy - one big water spot cool

#180157 - 25/11/02 10:55 AM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
loopit Offline

I just went by Advanced Auto Parts and picked up a box of Mother's Clay Bar. I think I'll give it a try in a few. I was going to pick up Mequiar's Body Scrub too but they didn't have any.

Jeff

#180158 - 27/11/02 02:31 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
loopit Offline

I thought I'd post some pics on how it looked after using the clay bar and after waxing:

I was able to get most of the spots off in the paint but they wouldn't come off the windows. Does anybody know of anything that would work on glass for this problem?

Jeff

#180159 - 27/11/02 06:19 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
Axle Offline

Loc: Fort Carson, CO
Lime-away and a synthetic scrubby pad. Don't use the green ones they will scratch the glass. Use the blue ones instead. You can feel they are less abrasive than the green ones anyways.

#180160 - 27/12/02 10:22 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
DocNo Offline

Loc: NoVA
Quote:
Originally posted by loopit:
I was able to get most of the spots off in the paint but they wouldn't come off the windows. Does anybody know of anything that would work on glass for this problem?
My Dad bought a Miata from a lady in Portland, OR that lef the car out side for a month or so prior to her selling it - the windows were coated with water spots that viniger, lime away and some of the other recommeneded solutions so far wouldn't even touch [Freak]

So, he started hunting around and trying different things, and he came across No Touch Auto Glass Stripper (click me).

Said it was the only thing that even touched the nasty water spots. He found it at Napa or AutoZone or one of those places - the real kicker - it was cheep! Like $3 for an 8oz bottle.

Good luck! [Wave]

#180161 - 27/12/02 10:27 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
ILUVMYX Offline

Loc: San Diego, CA
Lots of water and a Brillo pad (only on the windows obviously).

#180162 - 28/12/02 08:06 AM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
loopit Offline

I tried using Limeaway and even a new razor blade and it didn't make a difference on the spots on the windows. I'll have to pick up some of the Glass Stripper and try that. Thanks!

Jeff

#180163 - 28/12/02 09:13 PM Re: What should I use to get rid of these spots?
KevinNC Offline

Loc: NC
Try mag wheel cleaner/acid on the glass. The strong stuff..."For unfinished aluminum wheels". Be careful not to get any on your paint. smile

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal