Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#183661 - 23/09/04 12:57 AM Lack of Power TSB
yellow extranneous Offline

My xterra has an intermittent lack of power problem. I mention it everytime I bring it in for servicing (first noticed around 5K, now have 80k), but always get the same'cannot replicate problem' response back from the dealer. Obviously tough to diagnose when the problem is not there & I cannot make the problem show up 'on command'. Further more, the vehicle is not throwing any codes (service engine light does not come on when the problem is present).

However, I just came across a TSB (SB:04083) that describes my problem perfectly. Is there a correction for this problem, other than turning the key off to reset the ECM? I have seen a few posts related to reprogramming the ecm/ecu (??) -will that resolve the problem???

I don't have much confidence in my Nissan dealer right now (for other reasons than this issue alone), so the more information I can bring in with me, the more confident I am the problem will actually be fixed.

Thanks for your help in advance.

#183662 - 23/09/04 09:12 PM Re: Lack of Power TSB
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'll have to wait until I get to work to evaluate the problem, but I take it you have a SuperCharged X?

You might want to put that in your profile information so we don't have to ask in the future.

By the way, telling the dealership about TSB's isn't the best way to make friends and influence people. If they can't duplicate the problem, they can't verify the TSB will fix it. They're not going to lie and say they found something, put on a part, and then have you come back and say 'That didn't fix it', because it was actually something else.

If they can duplicat the concern, they'll perform any applicable TSB to repair it. If you're not happy with the dealer, try another one.

I'll get back with you on the TSB thing though.

#183663 - 23/09/04 10:47 PM Re: Lack of Power TSB

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my xterra is supercharged (02 - SC, 5 speed). I know dealerships won't randomly repair things for a problem they cannot correctly diagnose, but I have no idea how I can get them to replicate the problem. The frequency of the problem seems be a bit weather dependent - tends to be more frequent in very cold conditions &/or humid conditions. Sometimes the problem will occur once or twice a week, other times it will be a month between intervals. Regardless of the frequency, the problem goes away immediately if I turn the key off, then restart.

I realize dealerships do not want customers diagnosing their own problems, so I'm trying to avoid doing this, but I'm very frustrated with this dealership right now. I noted this problem at my first oil change & have mentioned it every time is been in for servicing... every 6000km (I know have 80,000K). Everytime, same response back "can't replicate problem".

I guess I need to find a new dealership. Next closest one to me is 50km on the other side of the city. If this was the only problem with the service I wouldn't be too upset, but I've been getting lots of other questionalbe service ie. 30,000km inspection reported rear brakes at 75%, mosst recent inspection (78,000) reported rear brakes at 97% - never had rear brakes, so one of the reports is incorrect.

Another issue you may be able to help with...??? Service writer recommended a transmission service when I was in last week. The transmission now makes a funny growl/whirlling noise. But, its only there for about 2 minutes in the morning, when the trans fluid is cold. Sound is similar to a throwout bearing, but there is no chatter or anything. Within a few minutes the problem goes away, & everything is fine until the vehicle is parked overnight. The sound is the loudest when it is in gear, clutch engaged. Quieter, but still present with clutch pressed in &/or coasting in neutral. The sound is transmission/clutch related as it is still there if you turn the engine off & coast.

Any ideas?

#183664 - 24/09/04 11:21 AM Re: Lack of Power TSB
Nut Offline

Loc: Calif
The TSB your refering to just says to use premium gasoline otherwise ping can happen which will cause the timing to retard and loss of power. Again the TSB is just telling who-ever that to reset that part of the system to cycle the key. Pretty much it, no great fixes.

Yes there is another TSB for reprograming the ECU based on current ECU # , also I believe they would set a code for the air flow meter when the problem happened and obviously cause the check engine light to come on also.

cool

#183665 - 24/09/04 07:29 PM Re: Lack of Power TSB

I do use premium gasoline... It's only had premium since day one. I've seen a few other TSB that describe similar symptoms, but they all indicate a 'check engine light' code will occur. My light has never come on. confused

Any other ideas how this can be diagnosed &/or corrected??

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal