Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
ECXC 2024!
by Tom
23/04/24 04:27 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 131 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#184958 - 13/08/01 07:17 PM Re: Brake service at 23 k miles
XPLORx4 Offline

Loc: San Jose, CA
Quote:
Originally posted by OffroadX:
My red "brake" light has been coming on and off for a few weeks now. I'm 95% sure it's something related to the vacuum system, as it usually blinks on when the engine kicks down. I'll get around to checking it out one of these days, but my gut tells me it's just an annoyance.

Brent

This might not be true for you, Brent, but when the brakes are worn (nearly in need of replacement), the brake fluid level is lower. Braking and accelerating cause the fluid in the reservoir to slosh around and trip the 'brake' light, which glows when the reservoir level gets too low.

#184959 - 13/08/01 09:27 PM Re: Brake service at 23 k miles
ej2k Offline

Loc: StL, MO, USA
Get this...

I went to my dealer when my BRAKE light was on and all he did was grab some brake fluid from the garage and filled it up...after this I had horrible squeeking for a while but once I wore through the break pads it went away and I thought at one point the problem was fixed. It was just that there were no more break pads to grind away.

I think this was a warning sign. They should have told me my brakes needed to be changed.

#184960 - 13/08/01 09:54 PM Re: Brake service at 23 k miles
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
XplorX4,

That was the first thing I checked. My old Toyota got a bit low and caused the "brake" light to come on at about 3/4 the brightness that it did when I set the e-brake and it was just low fluid. The X is in the right range.

Brent

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#184961 - 14/08/01 05:01 AM Re: Brake service at 23 k miles
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by ej2k:
at about 20k my brake pads were horribly worn..they were so worn that the metal that hold them in place was ruined...

I had to pay 1k to fix this. Just be carefull and get your brakes replaced on time. There was a large rattling/squeeking noise when I would drive. Didn't know where this was from. I reported it to the dealer and they said they couldnt figure out what it was. It was from the damaged brakes.

Do you think I could get my money back because I reported a problem to them and they could not diagnose it?

do you have an automatic or a stick?

#184962 - 14/08/01 05:08 AM Re: Brake service at 23 k miles
Matt Peckham Offline

Loc: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally posted by XPLORx4:

How hard was it to remove the rotors, and what was involved? Are any special tools required, such as something to pre-load the bearings, etc?

very simple. follow the directions in Warmonger's wheel bearing repack and you have removed the rotors. bring them to you Local Auto Parts store, and they will turn them (mine did it for $24)repack the bearings, put the hub back together, and replace the brake pads (you'll need a C clamp or a self adjusting woodworking vise for this) and then install the hub and you are done. It took me 2 nights to get mine done... mainly because I wasn't aware of how disassembled the AP store wanted my rotots. They want them attached to the hub body. This was a good 2 hours of the time I wasted.

Easy project. just be the first one to test drive it...

Matt

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal