2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#185780 - 11/04/06 06:35 AM Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

Strange coincidence… Last night I took my YJ to my college to get some studying done…I drove the 9 miles from home to Campus and when I got there I noticed that she was working a bit hard to pick up speed even up to 20mph on the side streets. I pulled over to a parking lot and took a look at it to see just what the hell was going on…..
BOTH *Front* rims were rather hot to the touch, they smelt just like super hot brake pads…. And I noticed that I got a leak…

Would a leak in fluid in the rear end cause the front brakes to lock up? Or does anyone have any suggestions what might cause the fronts only to stay locked on? I know I have to take it in hopefully this week to get that line fixed… but I'm not sure if the 2 problems are 100% connected to one another.

#185781 - 11/04/06 06:57 AM Re: Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
BRAKES, not breaks... :rolleyes:

Don't know about causing the front brakes to stick, but if the rear brakes weren't working the front brakes have to work harder and will heat up more during normal use. They shouldn't get as hot as you describe, much less drag enought to be felt when you're not pressing the pedal.
Perhaps if the front cylinders were to jam somehow that would send more of the pressure to the rear and the extra pressure was enough to cause the leak.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#185782 - 11/04/06 07:05 AM Re: Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
yeah... it's hard to see how a leak would cause the brakes to clamp down.

#185783 - 11/04/06 07:55 AM Re: Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

I found they have a fix-it for this problem...

87-95 YJ Brake fix

I dont know how easy it wil actually be though.

#185784 - 11/04/06 08:30 AM Re: Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Why do you suspect that the master cylinder is to blame? I'm not saying that it isn't... but I believe OffroadX was referring to the cylinders on the wheels - not the master.

ETA: Then again... I suppose if something in the master is stopping the pressure from being released when you let off the brakes it might explain both the leak and the fact that the brakes are still being applied.

I guess it's worth pursuing. That procedure looks a little lengthy - but not too hard. Just make sure you bleed the system thoroughly after having it completely apart like that.

#185785 - 11/04/06 09:43 AM Re: Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Yeah, I was referring to the wheel cylinders, but on second thought that makes no sense, if they were to "stick" it would be no different than when they bottom out against the rotor during normal use as far as pressures are involved.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#185786 - 11/04/06 02:43 PM Re: Front Brakes Sticking on my YJ
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm not sure of the answer to it yet... I'm a memeber of Mn-jeep, they suggested to check the link that i posted above, I won't have time to do so till after wednesday. I guess the problem is more common that i knew, atleaI'm not sure of the answer to it yet... I'm a member of Mn-jeep, they suggested to check the link that I posted above, I won't have time to do so till after Wednesday. I guess the problem is more common that I knew, at least with the 87-95 YJ's. One extra note to the whole thing is that about 2 miles before I noticed this happening, The wheel would either pull left or right when I was stopping…. The drag each way almost felt as if one of the tires was extremely low if not flat. The problem would switch between wheels at every other stop light or so. st with the 87-95 yj's.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal