2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#192282 - 04/01/05 03:52 PM Craftsman Toolkits...
MaloCS Offline

I just purchased a 151 piece Craftsman toolkit, complete with a portable case. Although the tools kick ass the case is a P.O.S. The tools fall out of their individual slots and there are no slots for the wrenches.

My question is: Has anyone here modified the standard tool case so the tools stay where they are supposed to? If so, how did you do it?

Another question: If you purchased a better tool box/chest how did you organize your sockets and wrenches?

I'm thinking of this chest:

And when you open a drawer I want it to look as organized as this:

I've looked high and low on the web and I haven't found any sort of organization that will fit my needs. Is there some sort of quality drawer organizers that you might have used that I may be overlooking? Remember, this toolkit will need to accompany me offroad so it will need to take the bumps without messing up the pieces.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks. smile

#192283 - 04/01/05 04:07 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
Jimi James Offline

Loc: North Vancouver, BC
How deep are the drawers? I wonder if you could use a foam insert, like the ones that come in Pelican cases, where you could pick out the squares to make everything fit snug.

edit to add:
Now you've got me thinking about this for myself as well.....this is the stuff I'm talking about, they probably sell just the foam by itself I would imagine.
[img]http://store1.yimg.com/I/justcases_1819_3700077[/img]
http://www.justcases.com/picknpluckfoam.html

#192284 - 04/01/05 04:19 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
FinallyAnXer Offline

Loc: Bradford, PA
Good luck keeping everything organized if you are carrying this in the truck. If this is a stationary toolbox... these are GREAT socket organizers:
Socket Organizer
That is the 1/2" drive model. They offer SAE and Metric (red and black, respectively, to help quickly find what you need.) They also have 3/8" and 1/4" drive.

I don't have this particular model, but this sort of system works very well. Again, I am not sure how it would hold up in a traveling box.

For wrenches...

Hmmm just noticed your offroad requirment...

I have two kits similar to this one in each vehicle:
Craftsman Tool Kit
These keep sockets well organized and the lid has plenty of storage for wrenches.
You may have more luck with a kit like that. For my wrench boxes, I have something similar to this:
Wrench Box

I carry the socket set, with miscellaneous wrenches, and both a SAE wrench box and a metric wrench set. Those wrench kits are not exactly what I have, but my boxes always have held all the wrenches right where they belong.

I would think that the box you purchased is more well suited to sitting on the self in the garage.

Don't forget you can never have too many tools. Never know when you will need two wrenches the same size. smile

Hope this helps.

-Jeremy

#192285 - 04/01/05 05:40 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Definitely get a box, but dont be afraid to go bigger. I had my 3 drawer box like the one you posted full by the time I was 15. You may want to start with at least a 4 drawer, depending on what your intentions are. Consider if it is going to be moved around much or not. If not, get a huge box, you wont regret it.

Wherever you buy the craftsman tools, they will also sell a lot of different organizers, Ranging from magnetic to pre-cut foam.

I have a tool bag that I take with me in the X on trips or going to a junkyard. I just throw everything I may need in it and go. Much easier in terms of portability since the big box stays at home.

#192286 - 04/01/05 06:05 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
MaloCS Offline

I already have a large, floor standing tool cabinet in my garage and I also have a secondary tool box for my Xterra that holds miscellaneous tools. This new toolbox is basically a replacement for the plastic toolcase that came with the set.

I am also open to suggestions that will make the standard plastic toolcase more functional.

smile

#192287 - 04/01/05 08:37 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
Anonymous
Unregistered

oh...

go to your local harware store and get some light density foam, maybe 1/4" thick or less.

cut it to size and stick it between the top and bottom of the plastic case. This should help tighten up the gaps in the plastic, and hold the pieces in place. smile

#192288 - 04/01/05 09:06 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
rrdstarr Offline

Loc: Tacoma
I use 1/2 high density foam and have lined all my toolbox drawers. The tools are "shadowed" in so I know if anything is missing. I have two large rolling tool boxes at home and a big stationary box at work. Makes life simple at the end of the day! smile

These are the Craftsman ones, but I had to make bigger ones for my rolling toolboxes.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.d...pid=00965417000

-Rick

#192289 - 04/01/05 09:46 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
MaloCS Offline

Thanks for the great ideas guys. [ThumbsUp]

#192290 - 07/01/05 07:51 AM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a toolbox that keeps everyting well organized. The plastic name tag broke off, so I can't tell you the brand, but I have seen them at Orschelns (sic) and TSC's before. It has round holes for screwdrivers, extensions, ratchets etc, metal rods that hold wrenches and pegs that hold individual sockets as well as space for items such as hammers etc. It is triangular shaped when viewed from the side and when the lid is closed everything is held in place and cannot fall off. I carried mine in my pickup for10 years while doing service calls when I was a professional mechanic and it never failed. It was also water tight so my tools never got wet when it sat out side in the rain. The advertisement that came with it claimed it had the capacity of a 12 drawer chest. I'm not sure about that, but it held alot of stuff including a full set of standard and metric combination wrenches and full sets of 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" sockets with both deep and standard sockets. The only drawback that I remember was the cost, about $350 15 years ago or so. Not bad if you think about it being a long term investment!

Roger
If I can find the name on the net I will post it here.

#192291 - 12/01/05 09:38 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
gearhead1972 Offline

Loc: Brewster NY

#192292 - 14/01/05 09:43 AM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
GrillmasterP Offline

Loc: Houston
Quote:
Originally posted by MaloCS:
I just purchased a 151 piece Craftsman toolkit, complete with a portable case. Although the tools kick ass the case is a P.O.S. The tools fall out of their individual slots and there are no slots for the wrenches.
Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks. smile
THe cheapest yet most effective method - I've used to for the Black - Blow molded cases that are included with the sets- is to inserts sheets of the rubbery shelf / tool box liner
Shelf liner(link) They work like gaskets for the tool boxes- This has worked for me for nearly a decade

As far as the wrenches- roll them up
Wrench Roll(link)
OR
Tool Roll(link)

#192293 - 14/01/05 12:01 PM Re: Craftsman Toolkits...
MaloCS Offline

Thanks for the ideas guys. After much thought I decided I will return my Craftsman set and purchase a HUSKY set from Home Depot.

The HUSKY set comes with the black chrome finish, laser etching on all tools and a better case. I had a sales rep open a set for me so I could play around with it and I was very impressed with the construction of the tools and the case. The case has a slot for each tool AND each tool snaps snuggly into it's designated slot. An additional benefit is that the case is smaller then the comparable Craftsman set.

After viewing the internal layout of the case I decided I should test the quality of it. I closed the case, swung it around, turned it upside down and banged it against the floor without any of the tools shifting or coming loose. I also opened the case in multiple positions without any of the tools coming free. Plus, the black chrome finish with laser etching is way cool.

The HUSKY set features a higher price tag for lesser tools but it does have a comparable lifetime warranty to Craftsman's. I was told that if any of the tools break all I need to do is take the set back to Home Depot and they would replace the entire set for free. If the set was discontinued then a replacement tool from the shelf would be offered.

HUSKY Specs: (The set I want.)
1) 135 Pieces
2) Black Chrome Finish
3) Laser Etching
4) Lifetime Warranty
5) $199

Craftsman Specs: (The set I own.)
1) 151 Pieces
2) Laser Etching
3) Lifetime Warranty
4) $130

Moderator:  johngraves2