2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 110 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#1956 - 06/04/06 10:57 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Kaiser Offline

Loc: Austin, Texas
Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood150:
Well, I'm a moderator on a toyota truck board so I like to think I have my finger on the pulse of the toyota crowd...I'll re-iterate, premium is NOT required. Nobody runs it in the 4.0L unless they are anal about those kinds of things or want better performance. It'll run just fine with regular gas for daily driving.
That doesn't really make sense... either the engine is designed to require higher octane (forced induction, high compression ratio etc) or it isn't. I'd never DREAM of putting anything but 92 or 93 octane in my high compression S2000. Sure, the knock sensor would retard the timing to keep it from pinging too badly - but ultimately it will still predetonate from time to time and it's bad for the motor.

Only an asshole would put the wrong fuel in a high performance machine. That's like feeding your kids dog food because "they can live on it".

#1957 - 06/04/06 12:11 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
RJ Offline

Loc: 100 Mile House, BC
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaiser:
That doesn't really make sense... either the engine is designed to require higher octane (forced induction, high compression ratio etc) or it isn't. I'd never DREAM of putting anything but 92 or 93 octane in my high compression S2000. Sure, the knock sensor would retard the timing to keep it from pinging too badly - but ultimately it will still predetonate from time to time and it's bad for the motor.

Only an asshole would put the wrong fuel in a high performance machine. That's like feeding your kids dog food because "they can live on it".
Make sense or not, some engines are just designed that way - run on both premium and regular (with some power loss).

GM's LT1s and LS1s are an example, so is the Oddsey.

#1958 - 07/04/06 10:14 AM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Robinhood150 Offline

Loc: Mesa, Az
All I can say is what I've observed over on the toyota forums. But yeah, you guys are right that the engine will retard the timing to prevent pre-detonation. Whether that eventually damages the engine, I can't comment on.

#1959 - 05/05/06 04:22 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Where our three other SUVs were a little too single-skilled — the H3 and FJ off-road, the Jeep on — the new Xterra proved talented at both. You can see it in the stats: It’s the shortest and narrowest of the quartet, a huge asset on narrow trails. It offers 9.5 inches of ground clearance, the most horsepower, a 7.0-second 0-to-60 time, the highest emergency-lane-change speed, and the best observed fuel economy.

#1960 - 05/05/06 05:28 PM Re: Car and Driver rank H3, FJ, Cherokee & Xterra
Anonymous
Unregistered

If a manufacture specs a particular octane for their engine, you should use it. I get sick of all the people that think they know better than the very engineers that created the engine. It also boggles my mind that the FJ owners get defensive about the premium label, if you spend 25k for a new truck, use what is recommended. Its not a surprise that premium is recommended, that is what the ecu was mapped to run, there is a range of acceptable operation, but what do you want? just ok? or whats best for the truck. Fact is, the premium is what helped the FJ get its extra little bits of power specs (marketing). To Fj owners its a negative, and they cant accept that. Oh well, we all get defensive about things we put $ into, so its ok [drink]

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal