shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal
Newest Members
Glim, ChossWrangler, Patman, ChargedX, Randy Howerton
10084 Registered Users
Recent Posts
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 85 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#197833 - 01/10/03 06:13 PM Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
seamonkey Offline

Loc: Boerne, TX
If I replaced the leaky hose and O-rings without using a vaccuum pump:

1. What would happen
2. What could happen

I'm out of warranty and I dont want to spend several hundred dollars having it replaced.

Offroad Pics

#197834 - 02/10/03 04:06 AM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
Andrew R Offline

I recently posted a question about A/c work in Jacksonville, Florida. I got no replys so I just
did the install myself. The high pressure line on my X also has the leak. I went to the local Nissan dealer for the line. Apparently its a common problem, they stated. But there is no recall what so ever. The dealer charged me 95.00
for the line. I could have got it cheaper from
xterraparts but I needed the line right now. The install is very simply. To start you need to remove all the gas out of the system. Simply by pushing the valve in with a pointed tool. Be
careful, it might have a leak but there still might be some gas in the system. The valve is located on the high pressure line under the
plastic cap. Kind of looks like tire valve only bigger. Now use the proper socket and remove
the bolts and just replace the hose. The o-rings are already installed on the new line. The new line will have plastic caps on both ends of the fittings, to keep trash out of the system. Keep the caps on till the very last minute before installing just to trash out. Tighten the bolts down but not to tight might you crack the
alu. fittings. There, your done with install. Now the truck has to be taken to a A/C shop so they can excavate the system, and recharge. Excavate means they will put a vacuum pump to the system and the term they use is "Pull" the system, before they can recharge with new R134. It takes about an hour for a good pull, so just relax have a coffee and wait. All in all it cost me about 200.00 for the parts, pull, and recharge but well worth it. The Nissan dealer was gonna charge me 65.00 just to look at it, 74.00 an hour for the Mech. Probobly would have paid about 400-500. I hope this helps you out.

#197835 - 02/10/03 08:43 AM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
seamonkey Offline

Thanks for the reply. At this point I have topped off the system R134 + stopleak. The system was still charged, just low on refrig. I doubt the stopleak will work, so was was considering my next cheapest alternative.

I do most of my vehicle work myself and replacing the hose looked way to simple to pay someone else to do it. I just dont have the equipment to complete the job if it comes down to it.

Offroad Pics

#197836 - 02/10/03 08:58 AM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
bonesnTX Offline

Loc: TEXAS
The problem you probably have since your system still has freon is that the new hose will have moisture in it. Moisture in an AC system affects cooling performance and will possibly clog the dryer.

It might work just by replacing the hose quickly not allowing much addiional moisture to enter the open system and re-charge with freon. Worst case on that is the dryer would be ruined and you'd have to replace that and get a shop to vacuum it anyway + more freon.

It costs about $60 in Texas to get an AC system vacuumed. What that does is actually boils the moisture and is vacated via the vacuum pump. If you could find someont that has a do-it-yourself set up you'd be on your way. (=a refrigerator compressor modified to service AC systems)

Good news for you is winter is coming.

[Wave]

#197837 - 02/10/03 10:51 AM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
PaulsX Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, Va.
I'm pretty sure that this is the problem with my X. A/C was working like a champ, then one morning after sitting all night, the A/C didn't want to get cold.

When I turn it on low, I can hear a slight hissing coming out of the vent, like there is a leak or something. The blower works fine, and I can hear the compressor clicking on and off, but it just won't get cold.

Quite honestly, I'm not even trying to handle this myself. Although I'm not an A/C tech, I am a mechanic and I'm positive that I could do the repair. However my mindset is this: I'm not paying extra money for an extended warranty that I'm not going to use. Plain and simple..

My X only has 64k and change on it. The A/C going out at this stage is just unacceptable and the dealership will be taking care of it. I'll pay my $100 deductable and let the warranty company take care of the rest.. fugg em! lol
97 GS-T

#197838 - 02/10/03 11:26 AM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
seamonkey Offline

Well, the hose is $94 at the dealer. I found a Auto Air place that will pull down the system and recharge it for $85. He will put on the hose for free since its so simple. I may get by with $200 for this repair.

I agree, the a/c going out in a 2 year old vehicle is unacceptable. The dealer parts guy seemed surprised that I didnt have an extended warranty.

xterraparts has the hose for $71, dont know what the shipping would be.
The autoair guy said he makes the hoses depending on style. The most that would be is $55.

Offroad Pics

#197839 - 18/11/03 12:42 PM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hmmm, after reading these posts I think I'm ok.
I noticed the same AC prob, and took the X into the dealership today. The culprit, that leaky high pressure line.
They told me $250 for replacement and full recharge. I figured they got me by the nutz cause I don't have the foggiest idea how to mess with A/C stuff. But if folks are doing it by hand for $200, it sounds like I didn't get a bad deal...
I haven't gone to pick the X up, but hopefully that takes care of that.

#197840 - 18/11/03 01:08 PM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
seamonkey Offline

I ended up not fixing the hose. When I recharged the system I used some with the built in stopleak. It has seemed to work. Its been since the beginning of October and still holding the charge.

The a/c guy said he would make the hose, pull down and recharge the system for $100-110. I'll take him up on it if I lose the charge again.

Offroad Pics

#197841 - 09/12/03 05:31 PM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I am having the same problem. I just bought the hose from my dealership for $56. I will probably pay a mechanic to put it on after hours. I asked around our shop and we have not had any others go bad.........I guess I can't complain too much.....my X does have 125,000 miles on it.

#197842 - 31/03/04 04:35 PM Re: Replacing high pressure a/c hose question.
PaulsX Offline

Loc: Virginia Beach, Va.
a bit of an update: Finally got off my lazy butt and dropped the X off at the dealership. (Gotta get my $$ back on the xtended warranty!!)

High pressure hose was to blame. A/C works like a champ now. smile Thanks Mike Shad Nissan on Cassat!
97 GS-T

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal