2002 Door Opening Trim
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:32 PM
XOC Still Lives
by OffroadX
01/04/24 08:31 PM
Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 113 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#198095 - 28/01/08 08:12 PM #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I recently did an oil change on my 03' SE/SC Xterra and decided to switch to a synthetic. I also switched from the factory Nissan filter to the K&N Performance Gold oil filter. I've been using these K&N oil filters for years now, and I think they are a step up from the factory ones. I did think it was strange that the Xterra uses the exact same filter as my 03' Spec-V Sentra did. [Huh?]

(K&N HP-1010)

#198096 - 28/01/08 08:26 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

cool Great choice trout lake, exactly what I use and I just got (2) K&N's, on a KRAGEN sale for $11 bucks !!

-- [Wave] [Wave] --JIMBO

#198097 - 29/01/08 03:43 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mobil1 filters are supposed to be the best. I've never noticed a difference between any filters thought. I change my oil pretty often though so it never gets a chance to get really dirty. I just use OEM filters. I got a case of them on sale from
http://www.autopartsonlinecanada.com/

...package that with a couple fuel filters, pcv, in-cabin filters, bearing seals and other consumables and you'll easily be over the $75 required for free shipping. It's quick to your door too cuz the warehouse is somewhere near Burnaby.

#198098 - 29/01/08 07:13 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I use either the Mobil 1 or the K&N in all my cars...don't think you can go wrong with either brand...

#198099 - 31/01/08 08:46 AM Re: #1 oil filter.
OffroadX Offline

Loc: Baltimore, MD
Quote:
Originally posted by RDanford:
don't think you can go wrong with either brand...
You can't go wrong with damn near any filter. I use Nissan factory ones. Purolator makes good ones, as does Wix. The crappy Fram ones with cardboard in 'em are the ones to avoid though.

Tip: see if your question has already been answered before asking it. Try our handy-dandy search tool!

#198100 - 30/03/08 03:41 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey guys I'm going to school for diesel mechanics right now and last week we had a rep from Cat come in and do a 2 day class with us and we got on the topic of which oil filters were the best and he told us he went to come kind of trade show or whatever a few months ago and they had all kinds of oil filters ranging from the cheapo to the most expensive filters on the market all lined up next to each other and they were all cross-sectioned. He asked us which one we thought looked the best and most replied Fram K&N or Mobile1 and he said believe it or not the best internally constructed oil filter is the Purilator PureOne filter and the worst was the Fram......

#198101 - 30/03/08 05:30 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

thanks for the heads up man, next time I'm going with Purolator! Right now I have a Nissan filter.

Another question, why is the Nissan filter much smaller than the Mobil 1 filter I had an oil change before? Just by design?

#198102 - 30/03/08 06:18 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally posted by ProjectPatt587:
Hey guys I'm going to school for diesel mechanics right now and last week we had a rep from Cat come in and do a 2 day class with us and we got on the topic of which oil filters were the best and he told us he went to come kind of trade show or whatever a few months ago and they had all kinds of oil filters ranging from the cheapo to the most expensive filters on the market all lined up next to each other and they were all cross-sectioned. He asked us which one we thought looked the best and most replied Fram K&N or Mobile1 and he said believe it or not the best internally constructed oil filter is the Purilator PureOne filter and the worst was the Fram......
I use Purolator PureONE filters on my X and on my motorcycle........ cool

#198103 - 31/03/08 08:49 AM Re: #1 oil filter.
BurgPath Offline

Loc: Knoxville, Tn
Pure1 gets my vote cool

#198104 - 03/04/08 12:54 PM Re: #1 oil filter.
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well crappy I must be. I never gave it much thought and have always just bought the Frams. I use the Extra Tough ones, but I doubt that matters much. shocked I change the oil regularly and all seems good, but maybe I will look into a different filter the next time around.

Thanks for the info.

Moderator:  johngraves2 

shrockworks xterraparts
XOC Decal